AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New 140gal tank... Sump vs. Canister?

Default New 140gal tank... Sump vs. Canister?

Hi All,

I just purchased my third aquarium that has two built in overflows and has 4/1" predrilled holes. The tank is 140 gals, 48x24x27.5. I've connected the overflow kits just fine, but now it's time to decide on the filtration/pumps and I would appreciate your recommendations on what would be best for filtration such as two canisters vs. a sump & pump. I've never used a sump before, but have heard that they would be the more efficient way to go.

What do you think and what brand would you recommend? Also, what capacity (gph) flow? I've gone by an article I read that said you need to process 10 times the size of your tank gallons per hour (1400gph?) for good water quality for Discus.

Thanks for your help in advance!
    Last edited by David Rose; 08-19-2009 at 10:36 AM.

Default Re: New 140gal tank... Sump vs. Canister?

I would go with a sump. Heck with buying a way over priced wet dry. Make your own for less than half the price, including the pump. All you need is 2- 1 1/4" standpipes in your boxes, some adapters and fittings, 3/4" tubing for returns, a tank that holds about 30 gals., Eheim 1260 pump, pre filter, and bio media. There is no need at all to get fancy and make little individual compartments for this and that. All I use is a micron bag to act as a pre filter. The water then runs over the bio media in an elevated basket in the sump. The water then drains to the bottom of the sump, and is pumped back into the tank. I have a 240 gal., and two 125 gal. tanks using this style setup for years without a single problem. I just K.I.S.S. (Keep it simple stupid)
    Darrell

Registered Member

I agree, go with the sump. I'm running one on a 120 with dual overflows. With a sump you will get high oxygen levels in the water, and you can hide your heaters and such also. The one thing you will want to think about is that with overflows food can get sucked into your filtration system. You will have to hold frozen foods in the water to make sure it doesn't go all over the place, and maybe use a floating reservoir if you drop flakes in. Not big problems to overcome, but things you will want to think about if you go this route.
    - Kevin

The crickets and the rust-beetles scuttled among the nettles of the sage thicket.

Quote Originally Posted by lkevin View Post
    maybe use a floating reservoir if you drop flakes in.
    Thats what I did - just drilled some tinny holes and zip tied a piece od PVC pipe to one of the 2 top braces. The PVC isolated the top of 1/3 of the tank (it extends about 1/2 an inch into the water). Floating food MOSTLY stays out the overflow now. Before I did this SOOO Much food went down the drain it was NUTZ!

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell Ward View Post
    All I use is a micron bag to act as a pre filter.
    What kinda bag. where is it located? I want to swap my system to this But not sure how I should do it. I got a filter pad there now? Do you have a pic maybe?

Ark

Registered Member

Wet/dry overflows and sumps can be noisy, particularly when operated at the flow rates recommended for reef tanks. You neither need nor want that kind of current for discus.

In my own 75 gal wet/dry system, the flow rate is maybe 4-5X the tank capacity (if that) with a couple of #3 sponge filters running as well. I have 8 sub adults approaching 5" in that tank, feed heavily, and change half the water daily to achieve very good water quality...

My system uses the box type overflow w/ sponge prefilter, which I clean in tap water every week or so...

I've been pleased w/ the results so far- it's only been running a few months. It's pretty forgiving wrt overfilling the tank, too- be sure the sump is big enough so that it won't overflow if the pump quits...

Hans is selling bioballs pretty cheap, too...
    Last edited by Jhhnn; 08-19-2009 at 08:47 PM.

Ark,the bag is located on the drain pipe going to the sump. I get bags at www.mcmastercarr.com . They have a wide selection at the best prices. The bag in this old picture is a one micron bag with a wire ring in the top. I just bent the ring with my hand so it would not fall off the pipe. The bags I'm using at the moment are 75 micron, nylon mesh. They have a drawstring at the top that can be pulled closed. I like these the best because the nylon material can easily be rinsed and reused.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Darrell Ward; 08-19-2009 at 10:02 PM.
    Darrell

My problem is I am using a BIG wet dry sytem with a Drip tray and 2 feeds into the top. I guess I would need to figure how to fit a Bag in that Drip tray area which is only about 1 or 2 inches deep. I dont like the filtr pads that I am using now.

I guess I need to look at bags!

Is this what you use?
    http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/115/378/=39gzu7
    Filter Bags with Drawstring
    Nylon * 18 x 12" x 8" * 75 Micron * Part # 2514K31
    Last edited by Arkangel77; 08-19-2009 at 09:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkangel77 View Post
    My problem is I am using a BIG wet dry sytem with a Drip tray and 2 feeds into the top. I guess I would need to figure how to fit a Bag in that Drip tray area which is only about 1 or 2 inches deep. I dont like the filtr pads that I am using now.

Yeah, I probably would just cut it off, and design my own.
    Darrell

Is this what you use?
    http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/115/378/=39gzu7
    Filter Bags with Drawstring
    Nylon * 18 x 12" x 8" * 75 Micron * Part # 2514K31
    Yep!
    Darrell

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell Ward View Post
    Yeah, I probably would just cut it off, and design my own.

Cut what Off?

I have a wet dry simmilar to this with about Twice the Bio Ball Area

http://cgi.ebay.com/AQUARIUM-WET-DRY...d=p3286.c0.m14

I could just make my Own Sump and dump the old wet dry set up all together? What do ya think?

PS - OR I could just Retrofit my Current set up?
    Last edited by Arkangel77; 08-19-2009 at 09:25 PM.

Cut what Off?

I have a wet dry simmilar to this with about Twice the Bio Ball Area

http://cgi.ebay.com/AQUARIUM-WET-DRY...d=p3286.c0.m14

I could just make my Own Sump and dump the old wet dry set up all together? What do ya think?
    OK, I see what you mean. Yeah, if I wanted to use bags, I would make my own sump out of an old aquarium or something. The one in the picture is an old 55 gal. aquarium. The picture only shows half of it. It runs a 240 gal. tank with 2 drains, 2 bags as pre filters, and 2 containers containing SeaChem Pond Matrix bio media.
    Darrell

Have you got a Side SHot / Pic. I got a 180 Gal tank - do you run other filtration? Thanks, Ark

PS - Is your Media Dry or Wet?

No, I can't take side shots because the 55 gal. sump takes up so much room in the cabinet. The tank is 72"x 24"x 31". There is no other filtration on this tank, unless you count the sponges cycling in the sump. Part of the media sits above the water line, and part of it is submerged. A piece of Matala mat rests above and below the bio media. It easily supports 27 discus, and a few tetras and other fish.
    Last edited by Darrell Ward; 08-19-2009 at 10:06 PM.
    Darrell

MAN - I wish I could picture it in my head? Does it flow from top to bottom over the media? Poop!
    Last edited by Arkangel77; 08-19-2009 at 10:13 PM.

Sounds like the Bio Bedia is "Sandwiched" Between the Matts/spung's?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast