ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what do you guys think that happen?

Registered Member

Default what do you guys think that happen?

first of all, thanks for reading..

the reason for this post is because i want someone else's input about what happen to my contest fish.. eddie's been a very big help to me last night and today.. even though he's at work.. thanks to you buddy! you never ignore my messages.. thanks for that.. i really appreciate that very much!

the reason why i didn't post this message right after what i have observed, is because i am afraid that i might not get a quick response and was thinking that i will post it today..

no, nothing happens to my contest fish.. i just have some odd observations about my fish right after i put them in into their tank with a new color.. meaning, i colored up the sides, bottom and the back with BLACK.. so everything is black aside from the front side.

anyways, i have observed that my contest fish were swimming around the tank and wandering around.. i feel like they don't wanna stop from swimming around never get tired.. i have observed also that when they swim they like to go up and down.. and almost all of the go all the way up, and gasping some air (kinda)

i remember my trio died, they act the same way my contest fish were doing.. i was thinking of maybe too warmed water.. but it's not. it's hard to explain in english about what happen.. but i did took a 2 video clip for you guys to determine easily and to help me out what's going on with them..

if you guys know what's going, please don't hesitate to post it here.. i just don't have anything to think of.. what i think is everything is fine..

thanks for reading.. sorry for the long read too!

PS: CONSIDER MY POOR ENGLISH..

here's the link of the videos:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Mt2vFuH5m8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIdqnQB_KTI
    Last edited by MRQuad; 08-19-2009 at 04:46 PM.

Registered Member

Default Re: what do you guys think that happen?

Hmmm, if they dont have any sign of disease (skin, flashing on objects, feces white, skin damages) i would say that they are unrestless, because they are in a visual shock. They are in the tank which is whole balck and they experience void withot shelter. Dark water (dark sides) could harbour predators and they are desperatelly looking for a shelter to hide from them. Beside that they are albinos which react even more intense on the change of light conditions.

Registered Member

I'm no expert but they look really healthy. I would go with what plecocicho said as well. It just looks like they are stressed from being a new environment.

You are doing a great job!
    Julie

MrQuad,

While I am new to this community, I am not new to
    Discus....

Is there any reason to believe the reaction is not due to the change in surroundings? I looked up your other posts/pics/videos on thes fish. They all were taken in clear bottom/sides/back tanks. This new tank is black on bottom/sides/back. Potentially making the front glass a mirror.

Would you mind posting what you and Eddie discussed?

+1 on what has been said, try a tank with light color, or give them some sort of shelter to make them feel safe, probably do both. They look plenty healthy otherwise.

Rod

My fish acted very similar when I first went bare bottom. They look healthy to me and they are probably just a little curious as to their new surroundings.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by plecocicho View Post
    Hmmm, if they dont have any sign of disease (skin, flashing on objects, feces white, skin damages) i would say that they are unrestless, because they are in a visual shock. They are in the tank which is whole balck and they experience void withot shelter. Dark water (dark sides) could harbour predators and they are desperatelly looking for a shelter to hide from them. Beside that they are albinos which react even more intense on the change of light conditions.
    thanks for the input.. i appreciated it very much.. i never thought of that.. if i should've known of that, maybe i can give them some light sides.. do you think once they are settle in, they'll be fine? or do i have to move them to another tank?

Quote Originally Posted by frenchie100 View Post
    I'm no expert but they look really healthy. I would go with what plecocicho said as well. It just looks like they are stressed from being a new environment.

You are doing a great job!
    Julie
    thanks alot julie.. appreciated it..

Quote Originally Posted by LYTEHOUSE View Post
    MrQuad,

While I am new to this community, I am not new to
    Discus....

Is there any reason to believe the reaction is not due to the change in surroundings? I looked up your other posts/pics/videos on thes fish. They all were taken in clear bottom/sides/back tanks. This new tank is black on bottom/sides/back. Potentially making the front glass a mirror.

Would you mind posting what you and Eddie discussed?
    welcome to the community..

thanks for the comment.. i do believe that it was because of the surroundings why they are like this.. do you think this will go away once they get use to it? i was thinking of this before i get the fish that i will color the sides/back/bottom for the albinos.. but never thought that they don't like this..

Quote Originally Posted by roclement View Post
    +1 on what has been said, try a tank with light color, or give them some sort of shelter to make them feel safe, probably do both. They look plenty healthy otherwise.

Rod
    thanks rod, probably i will put back the two sponges that i took.. the reason that i took it out is to give them a lot of space, alot of pellets will go uneaten because of the sponges.. i'll try in doing that..

Registered Member

as what LYTEHOUSE requested.. this is what we have discussed about.. this is at around 1am yesterday morning..

howdy eddie,

how you doing bud? hope all is well..

anyways, the reason that i sent you a message, this is because of my contest fish.. i want to post it to my thread but thinking that i might not get any response right away..

anyways, i have observed that my contest fish where swimming around the tank and they don't wanna stop from swimming around.. and almost all of them, go up and down.. you know, a feeling that you have to go up so that you can get some fresh air to breathe.. some of them, looks like, he/she wants to get out of the water.. and i think, there is something in the water that bothers them..

before this happens, i paint the tank.. the side and the back and the bottom with black paint.. i used the spray one.. after like 8 hrs. i set up the tank, took out the filter and put it back.. (the filter was running from a different tank). after setting the tank with the filter on it.. i waited almost 24 hrs. to put them all in there..

i did this earlier this morning.. and this is what i have observed.. the behavior was way opposite than before.. because, during my update, i always say that they are just still and they feel like they don't wanna move. but now, it's like they always feels like they want to get out of the water..

the temperature is 28 degrees.. i dont know what to do.. if you know what's going on with this fish, please help me out..

thanks for reading,

marvin

No worries Marv,

Do a big water change, about 50-75%, add the right amount of dechlor and see how they react.

Eddie

hey eddie,

after the water change, i observed the fish and they still doing the same thing.. and it's like something is bothering them inside.. is it maybe because of the new environment? kinda new to them that is why they're doing this?

and also, i have observed that they love to play near the air stone.. it's like they want to jump out of the tank.. man, this is scary..

was it maybe because of the smell of the paint? cause right now, i can still smell the paint a little bit..

sorry for the troubles bud.. hope you can help me out.. i can't think of anything else..

thanks for reading,
    marvin

You are sure there is no paint on the inside right?

How are they now Marv?

hi eddie,
    good morning bud!

i am pretty sure there is no paint inside.. the only thing that bothers me is their swimming all over the aquarium and they always stay near the air stone.. i have two air stones on it..

when i tried to feed them now, they are not like before.. that they'll attack the food either pellets or mix.. i saw one, just now.. that he scratch his body onto the heater, bottom and sides so bad..

i will take a video and post it on youtube.. i hope you are able to view it..

thanks eddie!

marvin

Okay, but won't be able to see for a few hours when I get home. I think it may be a good idea to take them out. Do a real good wipe down of the tank, and refill.

Its okay for a scratch here and there but just not constant. Do you think the fish are maybe just getting used to the tank. Now they may just feel more secure to move around?

Eddie

thanks alot bud!

do you think i should give them some more time to adjust before moving them? i was thinking also that they are trying to get use of their environment..

right now, i saw all of them picking some pellets, which is good.. but after that, they all went all the way up..

so far, they breath easily.. it's not a heavy breathing..

i will still upload a video of this troubles so that for you to easy identify.. and i will post the link to my thread also so that i can get a lot of inputs..

thanks bud..

take care always, eh?

marvin

I think they are getting used to their home. If they were really freaking out due to toxins, they definitely wouldn't be eating at all! They are just getting relaxed and are over excited. No worries buddy!

Take care,

Eddie

howdy eddie,

i have observed that the fish are settled.. they are not like last night..

anyways, i just finish the uploading of the video to youtube.. if you get a chance, please let me know what you think..

thanks again bud, take care!

here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Mt2vFuH5m8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIdqnQB_KTI

Registered Member

along the way, eddie been helping me alot.. this is since i started discus.. he's the guy that if i want answer as quickly as i can, he is always there..

again, thanks alot for you bud!

Default best of wishes

Quote Originally Posted by MRQuad View Post
    along the way, eddie been helping me alot.. this is since i started discus.. he's the guy that if i want answer as quickly as i can, he is always there..

again, thanks alot for you bud!
    I can see that from his posts to others.... always very helpful.

I hope your fish soon become comfortable to their new tank style and hope that is all that is troubling them.

I forgot to tell you earlier how beautiful they are.....

Registered Member

Default Re: best of wishes

Quote Originally Posted by LYTEHOUSE View Post
    I can see that from his posts to others.... always very helpful.

I hope your fish soon become comfortable to their new tank style and hope that is all that is troubling them.

I forgot to tell you earlier how beautiful they are.....
    thanks alot.. i was hoping too that this fish will be fine..

Besides what has already been said, I have to say your fish look fantastic! I too think the unfamiliar surroundings have them a little nervous.

Good luck Marvin

What Marv! Telling our personal life to the world! LOL Thats so funny reading back through the dialogue.

Glad the fish are just settling, they look truly amazing on top of that black! Awesome paint job and stellar job with those fish!

Take care,

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Hi Marvin,

I agree with everyone else that your discus are just getting used to the new tank color. They seem to be a little nervous but not too bad.
    When they settle down they should be fine. They really stand out against all that black.
    Good job.
    Bill

Real Name
    Chris

One more vote that they are reacting to the change in color. They can't see people coming with the sides painted and are probably a bit unsettled. They look beautiful and healthy otherwise.

Chris
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."~ Mahatma Gandhi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast