AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: i think this is trouble now..

Registered Member

Default i think this is trouble now..

hi,

i sent this message to eddie.. i might as well just post it here so that alot of people can contribute..

just wanna let you know that my fish are not doing great now.. huhu.. yesterday almost all of them lying on the top sideways.. and i haven't seen them eat for almost two days now.. i moved them to a 40G tank without a paint.. right now, they are still pretty weak.. they don't move around..

i have noticed that whenever i do a water change, after a water change, the tank gets so cloudy.. i don't know what's wrong.. oh by the way, i didn't age the water, i used straight from the tap.. for a couple of days water changes.. i did this before.. do you think the city has something to do with this, though? what i mean is, the water thingy.. maybe they some adjustments?

what is the best way to put their eating habits back to normal? right now, i aged the water and see what's their reactions after water change.. right now, they all swimming with their heads down.. like, they are staring at something at the bottom..

do you guys know what caused this? guys, i don't have that much knowledge about disease but will pretty much know much after the experiences..

marvin

Registered Member

Default Re: i think this is trouble now..

ok.. i have been reading the article from the disease thread.. i think i know what's going on.. if you guys know something and wants to share it.. that would be great as an additional information..

Marv, sorry to hear about this PM sent.

Talk soon,

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Marv, sorry to hear about this PM sent.

Talk soon,

Eddie
    that is not a problem bud.. you've been helping me since i started discus.. you've done..

peace!

Hang in there Marvin you got lots of support here as you well know. I can't contribute anything but I'll be watching closely.

Take care.

Is everything OK now? Was the problem due to something in your tap water?

Thanks,
    -jim
    President NADA

SOS Crew - Texas

Real Name
    Walter

Quote Originally Posted by MRQuad View Post
    hi,
    just wanna let you know that my fish are not doing great now.. huhu.. yesterday almost all of them lying on the top sideways..

i have noticed that whenever i do a water change, after a water change, the tank gets so cloudy.. i don't know what's wrong.. oh by the way, i didn't age the water, i used straight from the tap.. for a couple of days water changes.. i did this before.. do you think the city has something to do with this, though? what i mean is, the water thingy.. maybe they some adjustments?

marvin
    Could be some gasses in the tap water, such as CO2, causing the cloudiness.

Do the fish 'recover' after time when the cloudiness disappears? If so, that might point to gas in the tap water.

If it's not too late, try aging the water in a bucket or empty tank with an airstone for a few hours before pouring it into the tank with the fish and see if that helps.

Hope that helps,

Walter
    Walter

Hope all turns out well for you. Did water change with your aged water work out?
    Lynn

Marvin my friend, how is everything since we last talked? Hope all is well and hope the fish are settling. Please let us know.

Take care,

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Real Name
    Chris

How are they today Marvin? Best of luck with them.

Chris
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."~ Mahatma Gandhi

Registered Member

guys, thanks for the follow up, i really really really appreciated it very much.. you guys are like my family.. despite of me having a difficulty writing in english, you guys still reads and fully understand what i am saying about.. guys, two thumbs up for all of you!

anyways.. so far, the biggest one that is swimming with head pointing down is doing good now.. he manages to swim around ok now.. balances really good act like normal..

just i have one another concern.. just now, the two other fish were darting around like crazy.. almost broke the heater.. i don't know what's going on.. and you know what? the other one manages to jump out of the tank and flapping around at the back of the stand.. i can't get it right away because i can't move the stand with the tank.. i can hear this guy flipping because i heard a loud bang on the wall and this fish. and manages to reach him and put it right away into the tank..

right now, he is swimming sideways on the bottom and top.. MAN, WHAT IS HAPPENING TO ME?

is there some sort of an internal bacteria that develops inside them? when i am saying about darting, as in they don't care what hit them.. and then, this two just swims around sideways..

should i give them metro? or what kind of medicine do you suggest? i only have metro and prazi handy..

right now, i saw them they started some aggression to each other.. the other two that darts around is very calm.. but breathing heavily.. hopefully they'll be fine..

guys, this is the worst thing that happened to me since i started the discus.. that is why this problems is pretty fresh to me.. please, consider this ignorances.. taking care and grow them is not hard, just like kids, but if they will show some symptoms, that's what i have to learn more about..

thanks for reading..

marvin

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Marvin, so sorry to hear you are having this trouble. I think your English is fine, we can all understand you! Do you have a top on your tank to keep them from jumping out? I am thinking the problem may be in your water. Do you do a big water change daily? Have you called the city to see if they have done something different to the water? Are you using Prime when you change water? Is there any possibility you could have ammonia in your water? Maybe your biofilter is not working right? If it was me I would look to the water before even thinking of medicating them. Keep telling us what is happening and something will turn up as the cause. Good luck!
    Barb

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Disgirl View Post
    Marvin, so sorry to hear you are having this trouble. I think your English is fine, we can all understand you! Do you have a top on your tank to keep them from jumping out? I am thinking the problem may be in your water. Do you do a big water change daily? Have you called the city to see if they have done something different to the water? Are you using Prime when you change water? Is there any possibility you could have ammonia in your water? Maybe your biofilter is not working right? If it was me I would look to the water before even thinking of medicating them. Keep telling us what is happening and something will turn up as the cause. Good luck!
    Barb
    thanks barb! appreciated it.

the reason why he got out is because i open the lid to do water change.. i did a 50% water change daily.. i am not sure about the city if they did something into the water, actually i am on the phone right now to talk to them about the water.. i'm using a big-al's water conditioner every time i change water..

so far, the parameters of the water are the same as before this happens to them..

NITRATE = 5.0
    PH = 7.2
    AMMONIA = 0
    NITRITE = 0

the above water parameters are the same result before and after water change. i hope this guys will be ok.. i don't care if i lost the contest as long as i can make them back to normal..

Hi Marvin,

Sorry this is happening to you.
    Not sure the current situation with tank and water, but try to age the water and add prime. No medicine now. I also think it is a water problem.
    To calm your fish you can add 1 tablespoon salt for each 10 gallon of water. It's not much but it should help. Don't change more than 1/4 of the water each day for a few days and replace that amount of salt with new water.
    Disolve the salt in a glass of warm water before putting in the tank.
    Feed less until they calm down and start begging for food again.
    Let us know how they do. I'm sure they will pull through this, they are strong fish.
    Take care

Bill

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Marvin, I am not familiar with the water conditioner you use so I looked it up on the Big Al website. I see it has Aloe vera in it but it doesn't list the other ingredients. Read your bottle and see what all is in it. I just wonder if there may be something in there that is not good for the fish, using a lot of it everyday. I remember when I had angelfish trying to jump out of the tank it was due to poor water quality, in my case it was high ammonia I didn't know about then ( a long time ago). What temp do you keep the tank at? Any possibility of an electrical current in the water? Broken heater? I can't help but think it is something in your water.
    Barb

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast