AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: i think this is trouble now..

Default Re: i think this is trouble now..

I agree with Barb, I don't think big-al's water conditioner removes chlorine and chloramine. Not good to detoxify water. I would use Seachem Prime from Big Al's if you have city water. You may have been lucky by aging the water before but I think you quit and started using it straight from tap. That may be ok if you use prime. Anyway that could be the source of the problem.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by wgtaylor View Post
    I agree with Barb, I don't think big-al's water conditioner removes chlorine and chloramine. Not good to detoxify water. I would use Seachem Prime from Big Al's if you have city water. You may have been lucky by aging the water before but I think you quit and started using it straight from tap. That may be ok if you use prime. Anyway that could be the source of the problem.

Bill
    Agree with Bill - Big Al's water conditioner says nothing about removing chlorine or chloramine and so we assume it doesn't. Marvin, get yourself some water conditioner that removes chlorine and chloramine immediately!

If I remember correctly, aging the water will not remove chloromine. Another reason to rush out and get some prime.

Registered Member

guys, thanks for everything.. should i get a salt and a prime right now?

as of now, the biggest one i think it's not gonna make it.. it went back to swimming with the head point down and losses it's balance. and he's very weak. swimming upside down now.. and his tummy is kinda bloated.. according to article in disease thread, i will treat it with epsom salt or something? the others are breathing heavily.. some will dart as usual.. i called the city earlier about the quality of the water but don't get an answer because of almost 5 o'clock pm.

here's what the big-als back label says:

BIG-AL'S MULTI-PURPOSE AQUARIUM WATER CONDITIONER when added to the aquarium, replaces the natural slime coating on the skin and fins of fish which may be damaged in handling, netting, fish fighting, or in other times of stress. The Aloe Vera in BIG AL'S WATER CONDITIONER provides natural healing power, preventing the loss of internal fluids and electrolytes through the skin. BIG AL'S WATER CONDITIONER also conditions aqarium water by removing chlorine and buffering the pH of fresh water.

here's what the big-al's front label says:

-replaces the natural slime coating fish may lose in times of stress.
    -removes chlorine from tap water
    -contains aloe vera to promote the healing of skin wounds and torn fins
    -use whenever setting up a fresh or salt water aquarium, changing water, adding new fish to the tank, and fish are damaged by injury or disease.

thanks for reading.
    Last edited by MRQuad; 08-24-2009 at 07:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MRQuad View Post
    guys, thanks for everything.. should i get a salt and a prime right now?

as of now, the biggest one i think it's not gonna make it.. it went back to swimming with the head point down and losses it's balance. and he's very weak. swimming upside down now.. and his tummy is kinda bloated.. according to article in disease thread, i will treat it with epsom salt or something? the others are breathing heavily.. some will dart as usual.. i called the city earlier about the quality of the water but don't get an answer because of almost 5 o'clock pm.

here's what the big-als back label says:

BIG-AL'S MULTI-PURPOSE AQUARIUM WATER CONDITIONER when added to the aquarium, replaces the natural slime coating on the skin and fins of fish which may be damaged in handling, netting, fish fighting, or in other times of stress. The Aloe Vera in BIG AL'S WATER CONDITIONER provides natural healing power, preventing the loss of internal fluids and electrolytes through the skin. BIG AL'S WATER CONDITIONER also conditions aqarium water by removing chlorine and buffering the pH of fresh water.

here's what the big-al's front label says:

-replaces the natural slime coating fish may lose in times of stress.
    -removes chlorine from tap water
    -contains aloe vera to promote the healing of skin wounds and torn fins
    -use whenever setting up a fresh or salt water aquarium, changing water, adding new fish to the tank, and fish are damaged by injury or disease.

thanks for reading.
    Hi Marvin

Sorry to hear of your difficulties. I would get some Prime right away and start using it. Same for the salt...it will relieve your fish of some stress. Stop doing your water changes to see if it is indeed the water from the tap. There might be some work being done on some water lines around your area that would affect the water chemistry coming into your home. I use prime myself and I fill directly from the tap. It sounds like it is the water more than a disease that you are dealing with. Hope that all turns out okay for your fish

Registered Member

it's been brutal watching this guys dying.. the big one is lying down now and not moving around.. after that, there is this two darting around and lying sideways and starts to lost their balance....

guys, i don't know.. but i feel like someone been pinching my heart and try to tear up into small pieces.. i think this is it for this guys, i hope i can save some of these guys..

Registered Member

man, i called every pet store in my area and they don't even have an epsom salt.. gggggrrrrrrrrrrr..

guys, is the sea salt be fine?

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

You don't want epsom salt Marvin, that is for constipation in the fish. You need uniodized table salt or sea salt is good. Use 1 tablespoon per each 10 gal. of water.
    Barb

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Disgirl View Post
    You don't want epsom salt Marvin, that is for constipation in the fish. You need uniodized table salt or sea salt is good. Use 1 tablespoon per each 10 gal. of water.
    Barb
    ok i got it.. that's what the article says.. use epsom salt.. anyways, eddie mentioned that i use 2 tbsp / 10 gallon and you said 1 tbsp / 10 gallon is two be safe?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    thanks graham..

If it was me I would start out with 1 tablespoon in 10 gal. See how they look. You could add another tablespoon /10 gal later on. As before, epsom salt is for bloat due to constipation. Regular salt is for calming and making more comfortable in the water.
    Barb

Marvin, didn't know your fish had bloat until after I posted. Yes for bloat use epson salt, can start with 1 tablespoon per 10 gallon, if not better in 4 hours add another 1 tablespoon per 10 gallon. If that is what it is they should be better in 24 hours.
    I think you feed a lot of pellets and bloat could be a possibility.
    I think if I were you I would still get prime to be on the safe side.

Bill

edit, good post Barb, beat me to it.
    Last edited by wgtaylor; 08-24-2009 at 08:32 PM. Reason: timing

Registered Member

i know you guys will tell me about how ignorant i am about this, but please blame me later.. this is unexpected..

i got back from a LFS and got a PRIME with me.. i just added 5ml on the tank.. the instructions says: 5ml every 50g.. should i go beyond that? or, should i just follow the instructions.. what do you guys think about the dosage of this prime thing.. as for the salt, im still melting it.. it will follow soon after i make it to melt..

keep it coming guys..

Registered Member

guys, here's the video of the poor fish.. after this video, there is 3 more doing the same thing as this guy.. so, there's four all in all..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiN-fNmWews

Well, it sure looks like it is something in the water Marvin. They just don't look diseased at all, very healthy up until now. Something has "poisoned" them. I still say use regular salt, not epsom. Fish wouldn't look like this from bloat. We all feel sad for you and the fish Marvin. I sure want to hear what the water company has to say about the water. You can use 1 or 2 teaspoons per 50 gal of water with Prime.
    Barb

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast