ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: i think this is trouble now..

Default Re: i think this is trouble now..

Marvin, I would follow instructions on the prime.
    In video that guy is one that jumped out of tank? Maybe cannot help him.
    I couldn't see bloat in fish in video but not so easy to tell on video.
    Epsom salt will do good for bloat, won't hurt if not.
    You have them in another tank again. Was this tank clean, free of any polutants for sure?
    You have 2 heaters in this tank did you always have 2 or was there a problem with one?
    Just trying to cover all possible causes,
    Don't worry buddy, we are all here only trying to help you. It happens to all of us sometime.

Bill

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Disgirl View Post
    Well, it sure looks like it is something in the water Marvin. They just don't look diseased at all, very healthy up until now. Something has "poisoned" them. I still say use regular salt, not epsom. Fish wouldn't look like this from bloat. We all feel sad for you and the fish Marvin. I sure want to hear what the water company has to say about the water. You can use 1 or 2 teaspoons per 50 gal of water with Prime.
    Barb
    thanks a lot for your time barb, i really appreciated it very much..

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by wgtaylor View Post
    Marvin, I would follow instructions on the prime.
    In video that guy is one that jumped out of tank? Maybe cannot help him.
    I couldn't see bloat in fish in video but not so easy to tell on video.
    Epsom salt will do good for bloat, won't hurt if not.
    You have them in another tank again. Was this tank clean, free of any polutants for sure?
    You have 2 heaters in this tank did you always have 2 or was there a problem with one?
    Just trying to cover all possible causes,
    Don't worry buddy, we are all here only trying to help you. It happens to all of us sometime.

Bill
    tanks for the response bill.. appreciated it very much.. yeah, i have them in another tank, it was clean and free from pollutants.. on the video, it wasn't the guy that jump out.. it was the biggest one that first should some symptoms.. and as for the heater, i have them two to heat up right away the tank, i unplugged the other one, just forgot to take it out of the tank.

Registered Member

this is sad in my part.. I LOST MY JOB, LOST MY TRIO (discus), LOST ANOTHER PAIR (discus) and now TWO OF MY CONTEST FISH (discus)..

yeah guys, two of them didn't make it.. the one on the video and the one that jumped.. they're both dead..

the size of the two:

BIGGEST = 4.75"
    SMALLEST = 4.0"

that's official.. i will post a picture of both..

as of now, i got 3 more struggling, swimming upside down.. that leads to one only healthy discus in the tank left..

my little boy still keeps crying because of the fish died..

thanks guys for the help..

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

So sorry to hear this Marvin. What a sad thing to happen. But try to keep things in perspective. These are only fish. We love our discus but after all is said and done they are just fish. It is your family that really matters. Hang onto them and enjoy your family. You will have more discus in the future. Don't be too hard on yourself, these things happen in this hobby. Just do the best you can and keep moving forward!
    Barb

Man, this is so hard to watch and read. I really feel for you bro. Don't worry, no one's gonna blame you for anything. We're all in the same boat with these fish. It can happen to any one of us at any time. Hang in there, chin up.

Holy cow Marvin! I just read all of your posts. I'm sorry to hear about all of this. Do you have any idea what went wrong? Sorry for the losses.

Best wishes!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hey Marvin, sort of at a loss for words, that is a lot of bad luck lately but I know things will have to get better for you. Show your boy how to be strong.

Do you have the epsom salt in the water yet? Have you seen any poop from them. If they don't get better in 4 hours add the second tablespoon and just try to get them through the night.
    When they get through this, some people soak the pellets in a little water before feeding. Pellets can swell up to twice size. Especially with little greedy ones.
    I did the same thing when I first fed mine pellets they looked like little yellow golf balls. Very scary.

If you do water change in morning, add full dose of prime to tank before refilling their water.
    Hope they are better tomorrow.
    Take care buddy,

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by MRQuad View Post
    ok i got it.. that's what the article says.. use epsom salt.. anyways, eddie mentioned that i use 2 tbsp / 10 gallon and you said 1 tbsp / 10 gallon is two be safe?
    Marvin, sorry to hear about the events. I did not advise you to use Epsom salt, I said table salt (non-iodized). As others mentioned, Epsom salt is for bloat and you do not have any bloat issues going on.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Registered Member

thanks guys for the inputs.. i know it's freakin' hard.. i think if i lose all of these fish, i will try to cool off on discus a little bit.. and be back maybe a couple years.. well, it happened..

right now, i think the 3 is not gonna make it through the night.. they are hardly breathing at all.. i think i can keep just one..

Quote Originally Posted by wgtaylor View Post
    Hey Marvin, sort of at a loss for words, that is a lot of bad luck lately but I know things will have to get better for you. Show your boy how to be strong.

Do you have the epsom salt in the water yet? Have you seen any poop from them. If they don't get better in 4 hours add the second tablespoon and just try to get them through the night.
    When they get through this, some people soak the pellets in a little water before feeding. Pellets can swell up to twice size. Especially with little greedy ones.
    I did the same thing when I first fed mine pellets they looked like little yellow golf balls. Very scary.

If you do water change in morning, add full dose of prime to tank before refilling their water.
    Hope they are better tomorrow.
    Take care buddy,

Bill
    i didn't got a chance to buy an epsom salt.. i called all the LFS but don't have any.. i did use the sea salt though..

Marvin, is there no way to get Prime from anyone? Have you added air to the tank?

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Marvin, is there no way to get Prime from anyone? Have you added air to the tank?

Eddie
    eddie,

i got a prime, i put a dosage right after i got it.. i have 2 inlet of air.. right now, they are in a 40G tank.. and the air pump capacity is at least 60G tank.

Marvin, I'm so sorry. That went so fast. In the video only one looked bad. Still not sure what happened but sometimes we can only do the best we can and feel good that we made our best effort.

You may give up on discus for a while but don't give up on your friends here. We will still want to hear about your family, new job and citizenship.
    Take care, good luck with everything,

Bill

Real Name
    Chris

Marvin,

You have taken excellent care of your discus. Sometimes bad things just happen. Sometimes alot of bad things happen. It's not your fault. Try not to beat yourself up. Things will turn around.

Chris
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."~ Mahatma Gandhi

Real Name
    Ricardo

sorry for the loss Marvin but it happens. many of us go through such things, heck Eddie is going through his 3rd outbreak as i type.
    first, Epsom salt can be bought at any pharmacy. people buy this salt for foot baths.
    second, i think having Albino's is a little more challenging than with regular discus just because they do not show symptoms like other discus do. usually you can tell from tell-tell indicators when a fish is starting to get sick. regardless, now that it happened you can learn from this experience. i honestly think that this was water related but at the end it just seemed like there was something else wrong (per the video). i once had a small discus do that kind of crazy swimming action and it was due to me not properly cycling my tank. i know yours was cycled but maybe something got introduced into the city water, it does happen. i know we test ammonia, nitrite, nitrate but those are really just the bare minimums when it comes to testing the water. there can be other elements in the water column that might have been affecting those discus. either way, you still have some that you can still save. the prime will eliminate most of the stuff that needs to be eliminated, it might have been too late for the ones that passed. what other symptoms are you noticing? tell us everything, and i mean everything you notice that is out of the ordinary. are they breathing from both gills? breathing heavy? cloudy eyes? do they flash? do they react to your presence? have they ate anything? if they are i would suggest just feeding bloodworms. again, i know it's difficult to go through these things, i had to treat my fish at least 7 times with at least 5 different meds. hang in there and try to save these fish. keep us updated buddy

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast