ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Eggs all gone !!!

Registered Member

Default Eggs all gone !!!

A few days ago a pair (female blue turq and male?? red dragon) laid some eggs and what looked like fertilized them, on the side of our 330 litre tank.
    I inserted a stainless steel mesh panel to seperate them and the eggs from the other fish but i think the parents ate the eggs. From what i can gather after a day or so the eggs should turn a different colour. These ones stayed milky white, and a couple of them went solid white. The blue turq (female) layed the eggs, She had a small tube hanging down from her where we saw the eggs coming from the red dragon (male??) did not have any thing hanging down. Does this mean it is a male or could it still be a female. Both fish are still huddling up in the corner next to the spot where the eggs were laid, I think they are going to try again as there is a lot of shuddering and shimming going on between them, and increased aggression towards a white butterfly and 2 x juvie red malboros. We have a small 80 litre tank and are thinking of setting it up and putting the pair in there as they are stressing out the other fish and i think they will have a better chance of breeding on there own, your opinion??. Finally if a social tank has only females of males in it would all this aggresion go away and everything settle down??.

Default Re: Eggs all gone !!!

If the eggs remain white or turn more white, they have not been fertilized. Many variables as to why they haven't. First one, maybe the other fish is a female, maybe it is a male but too young, maybe the water hardness is too high, maybe there is too much flow and the males milt (sperm) isn't getting onto the eggs or maybe he just doesn't want to fertilize the eggs.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."