ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sand for a Discus Tank?

Default Re: Sand for a Discus Tank?

I bought a bag from home depot too, a bag of sandbox playsand for kids, and it's worked fine, no problems with pH. Cost me $6.39 for a 20kg bag (44 lbs) and its clean and natural looking.

I was a certified building materials laboratory tech, expert in concrete mix designs that use those sands, and registered special inspector of high rise construction for 28 years. I happen to know that the sands we are all discussing have a specific gravity of 2.65 +/- 0.02= 2.65 times the weight of an equal volume of pure water.

I know it is fine and easily siphoned out but not if the flow control is handled more carefully.
    Practice more until you get the flow just right and you can clean the sand as I have described. I'm using sand in my 125 gal planted Discus tank finer than anything you guys can buy. All that purchased sand was sieved to meet a specification. I collected it from a high mountain river.
    I designed a special pipe system running under the sand and pump oxygenated water from the bottom up through it to prevent it from going anaerobic.
    Last edited by Apistomaster; 08-28-2009 at 01:25 PM.
    Larry Waybright

Quote Originally Posted by Apistomaster View Post
    I was a certified building materials laboratory tech, expert in concrete mix designs that use those sands, and registered special inspector of high rise construction for 28 years. I happen to know that the sands we are all discussing have a specific gravity of 2.65 +/- 0.02= 2.65 times the weight of an equal volume of pure water.

I know it is fine and easily siphoned out but not if the flow control is handled more carefully.
    Practice more until you get the flow just right and you can clean the sand as I have described. I'm using sand in my 125 gal planted Discus tank finer than anything you guys can buy. All that purchased sand was sieved to meet a specification. I collected it from a high mountain river.
    I designed a special pipe system running under the sand and pump oxygenated water from the bottom up through it to prevent it from going anaerobic.
    That sounds fancy! Care to share the actual design? I like to use sand to, but I mine my sand at the Lemon Grove home depot.
    Last edited by Chad Hughes; 08-28-2009 at 03:54 PM.
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member

hate to high-jack, but what's the best way of getting pool filter sand out the tank. should I just get a plastic cup and scoop it out or what?
    "DON'T HOOK FISH,BUT GET HOOKED ON FISH.
    15 gallon (using for grow out)bare bottom discus tank,3 young juvies,4 fry.

Get a large hose (3/4" to 1") and start a siphon. That will likely get most of it out of there. You could also use a wet dry vac. Depends on how much sand you are talking about.

Best wishes!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by avionics30 View Post
    Get a large hose (3/4" to 1") and start a siphon. That will likely get most of it out of there. You could also use a wet dry vac. Depends on how much sand you are talking about.

Best wishes!

what if I still have my discus in the tank, and no place to put them, with the tank still filled up. the driftwood is getting chopped up by the clown plecos, which is making part of the sand look like it's poop. should I dump the sand right in to the bushes by my front window out side? I need to do a water change anyways. would it be ok to use my 25ft. phantom phyon?
    Last edited by discusjoe27; 08-28-2009 at 04:39 PM.

I remove the sand with the fish in place. It will make a temporary mess but that is harmless. I push all the sand to one end of the tank the scoop it out. Once most of the sand has been removed it is easy to siphon the remaining sand out of the tank. I do this with the Discus in the tank. I do remove any wood or rocks before beginning the job so the Discus don't crash into them when they spook. Nothing quite as drastic as using a wet/dry vacuum is need to do this job.

About the under sand water system I built for my 125 gal planted wild Discus tank, I will go back an locate the thread I started that shows the stages of the design of the 'under ground sprinkler system I built and the DIY wet/dry filter I built and post the link to the thread soon. When I set up my wild Discus pairs in their own breeding tanks I use the bare bottom minimalist set up most of us use to breed any discus. They do not really absolutely have to have any sand in their tank. It is only when we try to mimic their biotope that using and choosing the 'right' sand matters.
    Last edited by Apistomaster; 08-28-2009 at 06:31 PM.
    Larry Waybright

Here is the link to my wild Discus tank infrastructure design.
    The only things that have changed are that I have removed two mated pairs since I first set it up and I think the last 2 Discus are also probably a pair and Heiko Bleher, having seen some photos of the fish decided they were Alenquer area Discus instead of Nhamunda area Discus as they were sold.
    To me, since both locales produce many Discus with a strong red overtones of their base body color, I doubt anyone can be sure where they were collected unless they personally collected them.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=66500
    Last edited by Apistomaster; 08-28-2009 at 07:04 PM. Reason: spelling
    Larry Waybright

Registered Member

I have the scilica pool filter sand, to much the driftwood has been ate by the clown plecos, and I need to take it out.

Hi DiscusJoe,
    Why not remove the Panque maccus, Clown plecos instead and leave in your wood?
    P. maccus are a small species by Panaque standards but even so, they can generate a lot of "saw dust". All Panaque species eat a great deal of wood. They are absolutely useless plecos for algae eating purposes. I would keep a Bushy Nose in your tank for general algae control and choose some Hypancistrus spp or Peckoltia species as interesting and attractive Plecos. They eat the same food as Discus, thrive at Discus water temperatures and one of these will eat as much food off the bottom as 3-4 Corydoras. They will also explore the wood in search of aquatic insects out of instinct even though you don't have aquatic insect larvae in your tank on your wood. The Hypancistrus spp and Peckoltia spp are primarily predators that prey on aquatic insect larvae off wood and river bottom rocks. They are small and not messy species of plecos.
    Last edited by Apistomaster; 08-28-2009 at 07:20 PM.
    Larry Waybright

Registered Member

thanks what are the common names for

Hypancistrus spp or Peckoltia

Quote Originally Posted by discusjoe27 View Post
    thanks what are the common names for

Hypancistrus spp or Peckoltia
    Hi Joe,
    You are opening quite a can of worms with your question. Right now, hundreds of plecos don't even have scientific names. In order to have some kind of handle so fish keepers couldd know what each other were talking about, the German Fish magazine came up with the "L-Number" system, L standing for Loricariidae. planetcatfish.com has all the known L-Numbers listed, photos, range, requirements, common names if any and breeding type if known. There are well over 400 L-Number plecos cataloged. Just as the popularity of small Brazilian pleco species was peaking Brazil banned the export of the most popular species which mainly are Hypancistrus species. Not a sales pitch but I raise 2 of the banned Hypancistrus species plus one Peckoltia species that is likely to become banned for export soon. It does have a common name, Leopard Frog Pleco. There are still some beautiful Hypancistrus coming out of Colombia that are from the Orinoco border areas with Colombia, Venezuela is in a p*ssing contest with the USA and will not allow collectors to send fish to us. Only those the Colombian exporters can collect are showing up here. These species are mostly small. 3-1/2" to 4"
    The most famous species is Hypancistrus zebra, Zebra Plecos, but they are typically $250 each.
    Tiger Plecos are one nice species which can often be found for $20.
    L201 is all black with bright white-yellow polka dots and also about $20
    Colombian Zebra Plecos L270 is about $35.
    L129 is another marbled striped species that runs about $25
    Here are a few photos of some I have or have had. They should give you an idea of the many, many others that are related. Everyone in the fish business uses the L-numbers instead of names.
    Tiger Pleco, Peckoltia vittata L15

Leopard Frog Pleco, Peckoltia sp L134. Adult with fry.

Leopard frog Pleco Peckoltia sp L134 1-1/2" juveniles. Bands turn to stripes and spots like adult above.

Hypancistrus sp L401

Hypancistrus sp sp Rio Curuai
    Last edited by Apistomaster; 08-28-2009 at 11:28 PM.
    Larry Waybright

Registered Member

I have some bristle nose plecos. would a gold nugget pleco work?
    I also have some green cory catfish, and some bumble bee catfish.

Gold Nuggets are a nice pleco for a Discus tank. The main problem with gold nuggets is that they are one of the most difficult Plecos to keep in the long run. They need both frozen blood worms and plenty of vegetable matter like zucchini. Most green beans are good, especially canned type. Gold Nuggets grow to be 8 to 12 inches in the wild but they don't grow that large in captivity. Possibly because their nutritional needs are difficult to duplicate.
    They are relatively cheap because the juveniles do occur in large numbers under rocks in the shallow edges of the river. The vast majority of those collected die within one year but some experienced pleco keepers keep them going for 7-8 years but they never grow to their potential full size. They are one of the most difficult species to breed and it has only been done a few times.
    Larry Waybright

Registered Member

I love the Leopard frog Plecos! I think I like them more than my royal I had.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12