AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: OMG!

Registered Member

Default Re: OMG!

I can't do anything for this spawning because I am leaving tomorrow for a week vacations. My neighbourg will come to feed the fish once a day. I think for this time it's pretty much doomed unless I would not go but everything is setup and reserved and I would lose the money for my reservation if I cancel now.

This was really unexpected so nothing was planned for it. They are in a community tank and I don't give much hope to the fry if it start to go swimming everywhere.

If they have spawned now, good chance they will do it again though.

Quote Originally Posted by wgtaylor View Post
    Hi Daniella,

Looks like a very nice female heckle and a very rare event.
    I see why you titled this thread "OMG", congratulations, well done.
    Wish you the best is saving some of the fry if it is meant to be.
    Take care,
    Bill

Not to put a damper on the vacation but this is something that does not happen EVER, female heckel spawning in a community tank with hybrids. I would cancel my vacation, remove all the other tankmates and raise the fish for an accomplishment, only a handful of people could say.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

It is very unusual for a female heckel to spawn. Most likely your heckel is a male spawining with a domestic female. It still is a very exiting event to have a heckel spawn. Hope the eggs hatch for you.
    Joe

Registered Member

Unfortunatly I cannot do that. I am not alone in this vacation and plans have been made for a long time. Hopefully they will spawn again, I don't see why not? What if I cancel my vacation and they eat the free swimming fry? I would have spoiled my vacation, lose the money for nothing.

It's their first spawning, so not sure what is going to happen. Anything goes.

I could remove the other fish and leave them alone and see what happen when I return. I have a 45 gallons aquarium and I could put my adult tiger with my 5 youngs in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Not to put a damper on the vacation but this is something that does not happen EVER, female heckel spawning in a community tank with hybrids. I would cancel my vacation, remove all the other tankmates and raise the fish for an accomplishment, only a handful of people could say.

Eddie

Yeah, definitely take the others out and try to figure out a way to prevent the fry from going into your filter intake.
    Visit Eddie's Place

Registered Member

I posted a pic where you can see the breeding tube of the heckel. Can you id if it is a male or female? I really beleive it's a female from the behavior.

I would be very surprised if it was a male. And the eruption is definitly a male because it has spawned once with my female melon. Fighting between the eruption and the former boyfriend (checkerboard) was way too nasty for a female/male fight for another female. Why would a female fight with the male of a pair to gain access to breeding with another female? sounds a bit crazy no?

So that eruption finaly won and spawned with my female melon. That would have mean that a female was fighting with a male to conquer another female and then spwaned with her (2 females spawning together).

this is the pic were we can see the heckel breeding tube.

http://www.pbase.com/zylen/image/116603628/original

Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    It is very unusual for a female heckel to spawn. Most likely your heckel is a male spawining with a domestic female. It still is a very exiting event to have a heckel spawn. Hope the eggs hatch for you.
    Joe

Registered Member

no way they are going through the filter intake because I have 2 pre-filter sponge.

but it's a 120 gallon, so they will get lost in no time I am afraid. Also they are used to eat 3 times a day and my neighbour can only feed them once..they will be hungry so maybe they will eat the fry.

sigh, this is a really bad timing

Yeah, definitely take the others out and try to figure out a way to prevent the fry from going into your filter intake.
    Last edited by Daniella; 08-28-2009 at 10:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniella View Post
    no way they are going through the filter intake because I have 2 pre-filter sponge.

but it's a 120 gallon, so they will get lost in no time I am afraid. Also they are used to eat 3 times a day and my neighbour can only feed them once..they will be hungry so maybe they will eat the fry.

sigh, this is a really bad timing
    Ah..you never know, bet you will be thinking about it the entire time you are on vacation.....anxiously waiting to return home.

Take care,

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

Registered Member

yes I will be haunted by this for sure. Really bad timing and I am leaving but do not wish to leave, so it's not fun. I am also worried to leave this feeding chore to my neighbour..will he wash his hands? or put all sort of bad bacterias in my aquarium? I have all sort of worry crossing my mind.

If I had any chance of having the internet where I go I would love to install a web cam but it's deep in the wood so no internet.

Ah..you never know, bet you will be thinking about it the entire time you are on vacation.....anxiously waiting to return home.

Take care,

Eddie
    Last edited by Daniella; 08-29-2009 at 12:30 AM.

Registered Member

As I understand it, first spawns are seldom successful, regardless of circumstances. There''s really nothing you can do at this point, other than to go on vacation and enjoy yourself. Forget the job, the fish, the whatever stands in the way of having a really good time...

None of us is the master of the universe, so there are times when the best we can do is let it go... the likelihood of all your fish being just fine when you come home is pretty much overwhelming. Worrying and wishing things were different won't change that at all.

Edit- seems like an interesting pairing with both partners being red and blue, one striped, one spotted. somewhere down the road, they may produce some very beautiful, interesting and different sort of offspring...
    Last edited by Jhhnn; 08-30-2009 at 11:46 PM.

just go and have fun..and whatever will be will be. you could come home to two fish carrying fry..or..then laying again or whatever. just be sure your neighbour doesnt overfeed. they parents really lay off food alot when caring for fry..so dont worry about it. they can go a long time with no food. id stick to clean food like bloodworms . one cube a day..and nothing else. no flake . too risky the neighbour will overfeed. id do that for all the tanks. tell her one cube a day..and nothing else. good luck..have a good trip and let us know when your back how it went.

If your still having issues with your water I wouldn't feed them at all while you're gone. They can go a week without food, no prob. Otherwise April has it right. One cube of BW's p/tank. Your neighbor can't overfeed that way and it's clean food.
    Have fun on your trip,

Kacey

Discus are like the people who keep them....

Sheldon

It is unusual for female Heckels to breed in captivity, even within their own species. Probably the greatest obstacle to breeding Heckels is to get a female Heckel to spawn. Males frequently spawn with wild Blue/Browns and apparently domestics. These crosses are dead ends. Their progeny don't help getting any closer to the real goal.

Heckels are the most frustrating species for breeders wishing to produce purebeds.
    That is why the Heckel subforum was begun in the first place. A pair of wild Heckels breeding and raising their fry is newsworthy because it still is such a rare event.
    Larry Waybright

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Apistomaster View Post
    It is unusual for female Heckels to breed in captivity, even within their own species. Probably the greatest obstacle to breeding Heckels is to get a female Heckel to spawn. Males frequently spawn with wild Blue/Browns and apparently domestics. These crosses are dead ends. Their progeny don't help getting any closer to the real goal.

Heckels are the most frustrating species for breeders wishing to produce purebeds.
    That is why the Heckel subforum was begun in the first place. A pair of wild Heckels breeding and raising their fry is newsworthy because it still is such a rare event.
    I'm not convinced wrt the whole "dead end" characterization. It seems clear that some hybridization and mixing occurs in wild fish- if it didn't, then fertile crosses wouldn't be possible...

That makes the whole idea of "pure" heckels a misconception. What seem to be "pure" heckels are fish where the appearance of other wild strains has been bred out by constant generational backcrossing into the general population of heckels. Aquarists can accomplish much the same results w/ linebreeding- father to daughter of a domestic female partner, then father to grand-daughter of that pairing, etc, and also by back-crossing part heckel progeny to other heckels...

If the goal is to create a lineage of domestic heckels, then that kind of breeding will create fish that are indistinguishable from so called "pure" heckels after a few generations...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast