AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: OMG!

Default Re: OMG!

Daniella,
    I hope you have better luck with this batch of fry and are able to save some. Exciting to have a female heckel spawn.

I read that post on nada a while back and thought it intriguing but have seen other heckel female with full color that have spawned. I agree, especially with wilds, you cannot tell sex by looking but it sounded good.
    I hear you when you say your not sure what to believe anymore. It has always been that way, everyone that wrote a new book on discus had to generate enough controversy to sell new books. Not everything could be believed but makes for good reading.

I'm not sure why anyone on this site would get upset with any question being asked about discus, that is why we are all here. Ignore opinions and try to extract only facts. I think you have done well with your heckel and I would bet there are some that are going back over your prior posts to try to see if they can find what triggered your heckel to spawn. You have succeeded where others have not. I for one appreciate your open sharing of your experiences with your discus and wish you the best with this spawn.
    Take care,
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Daniella View Post
    I guess that was directed to me, but I read this thing about females heckel on the nada forum and here is the link:

http://forum.discusnada.org/showthre...=5921#post5921

Maybe the problem is not that I do not sink in things that people say, but rather that I sink in too much of what I read, at least if that's not true.

If it is not true than it is not true.. I have no idea what is true or not anymore. I thought it was an interesting reading.

As for my heckel, she has spawned again yesterday evening (guessing) or early this morning. I found them this morning with the eggs (did not see it this time). 2 times a week apart. Water is TDS 150 and Ph is 7.5.

Not sure what will happen though since there is no devider and I had no time to put one this morning when I saw this. My male eruption is wierd. Was fighting yesterday like crazy to be with the melon female but this morning both couple are on their side of the aquarium and the eruption is with the heckel. Seem that my pair checkerboard and red melon has very strong bonds now.

Registered Member

I surely wish I knew what trigger her to breed. My water is really not the best around and Ph is far from their acidic water. She went through stressfull PP treatments, being moved in QT for these treatments, first time with a net and second time with a bucket.

I give her plenty of white worms. When I was breeding chiclids I used white worms to trigger their breeding and it worked well.

I am sure people have tried all this and probably she just spawn because she wants to and she really like this male. Each discus is unique and have its own personality I guess.

The male is getting a bit aggressive with her though and does not want to let her take care of the eggs... Not sure why because she did not eat the eggs last time.

Glad to know about the heckel color for male and female are the same as I beleived what I read there.

Quote Originally Posted by wgtaylor View Post
    Daniella,
    I hope you have better luck with this batch of fry and are able to save some. Exciting to have a female heckel spawn.

I read that post on nada a while back and thought it intriguing but have seen other heckel female with full color that have spawned. I agree, especially with wilds, you cannot tell sex by looking but it sounded good.
    I hear you when you say your not sure what to believe anymore. It has always been that way, everyone that wrote a new book on discus had to generate enough controversy to sell new books. Not everything could be believed but makes for good reading.

I'm not sure why anyone on this site would get upset with any question being asked about discus, that is why we are all here. Ignore opinions and try to extract only facts. I think you have done well with your heckel and I would bet there are some that are going back over your prior posts to try to see if they can find what triggered your heckel to spawn. You have succeeded where others have not. I for one appreciate your open sharing of your experiences with your discus and wish you the best with this spawn.
    Take care,
    Bill
    Last edited by Daniella; 09-09-2009 at 04:56 PM.

Registered Member

Default Update

Yesterday I came back from work and the eggs had been eated. The 2 couples were near by each other on the same driftwood and there was no more major fighting.

I will order a separator if I can find one I like and will try this again. I am sure if I move the heckel she will not spawn again. I tried moving my other pair to my 20 gallons aquarium and they would not spawn either.

Registered Member

can't wait to get an update on this pair breeding!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456