AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Adding micron filter to an existing wet dry system * PIC heavy

Default Adding micron filter to an existing wet dry system * PIC heavy

I wanted to add a Macron Bag filter to my Wet dry but had no space for it in the Unit. I thought of adding a separate chamber to hold the Bag and place it in line of the drain from the tank to the filter. This is a picture by picture / step by step description of what O did today. I made some mistakes which included FLOODING my living room. But I figured it out in the end and its working GREAT so far! Fingers Crossed!

SO first I will show what it looked like before I installed my Micron Bag Filter.

These 3 pics are some of the parts. I got the BOX from Low's (I had problems finding one the right size with a lid that would sorta snap shut) the rest was pet shop and ace.

Next I will show you what I did to get it to one inlet pipe. I needed to do this for my filter install. I checked the flows and it wasn't backing up in the tank so I figured I was good and it was at this point.

Now I am starting to assemble my filter Unit

I should have saw the problem here But I missed it!

Now let me show you my shelf and the unit in place.

You can start to see the problem in this pic

This was my first attempt at a fix. The water lvl kept rising in the filter box and I could not figure out why????

I thought I might have it and it was getting late so I rolled the dice and went and grabbed the Kids from School. This was a mistake as I came home to water all over the floor. No pic of that Just trust me it was no fun. This was my 1st flood in the 10 months of having this tank up and running! Let me show you what was the problem!

This pic shows that the Filter bag was clogging the drains and that's why the water was backing up in the filter box. Should have thought of that BUT live and learn.

This is what I did to fix it and so far its working great!

I guess that's it if you got any questions Just ask! That's to all the folks who helped me with info for the Mod and let me bounce Ideas off of them!

Arkangel77
    Last edited by Arkangel77; 09-03-2009 at 08:54 PM.

Default Re: Adding micron filter to an existing wet dry system * PIC heavy

Cool! Looks like you got it figured out.
    Darrell

Yep - I wish I would have figured it out before I flooded my Living room. LOL - O well. I am sure there are better ways to protect the drains but that was My quick Fix! after I mopped the floors.

Arkangel77

Pretty good DIY project, a handyman indeed.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Registered Member

Very, very nice DIY tute. I wish I had thought of that when my wet dry was running. I was so tired of having to rinse the filter mat that was under the drip tray.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tcyiu View Post
    Very, very nice DIY tute. I wish I had thought of that when my wet dry was running. I was so tired of having to rinse the filter mat that was under the drip tray.

Tim
    Ya that's why I did it. To not have to deal with the pad so much.

Arkangel77

Well ran into another Snafoo. The Micron Bag filter is cloging up. Its not causing any more flods but I got vervous and took it out the Box. So I am looking for a NEW type bag now. What got me woried was that the lvl on watter was 2" higher in the bag than it was in the Box. The Bag was swollen kinda like a ballon. SO Do any of you guys have an Idea on what Kinda Bag I could try?

This is what I used.
    http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/115/378/=39gzu7
    Filter Bags with Drawstring
    Nylon * 18 x 12" x 8" * 75 Micron * Part # 2514K31

Arkangel77

If the BAG was hanging instead of laying I think it would work better. No idea of how to make that happen in my set up though?

That's the thing with micron filters, you'll need to rinse them out every couple of days. That's also what makes them so great. They trap all the little particles the other filters miss. You think a 75 micron clogs fast, I used one micron bags for about 2 years! Rinsing it out is easy. Turn the bag inside out, run it under a faucet while rubbing the bag between your hands. Cleans it in like a minute and half.
    Darrell

Ya I guess I could make that part of my daily cleaning. 2 min to clean the filter and 15 min to take it out and put it back!

Quote Originally Posted by Arkangel77 View Post
    Ya I guess I could make that part of my daily cleaning. 2 min to clean the filter and 15 min to take it out and put it back!
    Dang! If it takes that long, might be better to design your own sump. I can remove my bags in seconds...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Darrell

Try a larger micron. I realize that you want it as fine as possible, but for the sake of practicality, maybe a 200 micron would work out better for your setup. 200 microns is still pretty good!

Best wishes!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yes I could just make a entirely new sump - Just trying to avoid that. Thats why I came up with this idea. I may give the 200 Micron Idea a shot and see what Happens?

Thanks, Arkangel77

Yes I could just make a entirely new sump - Just trying to avoid that. Thats why I came up with this idea. I may give the 200 Micron Idea a shot and see what Happens?

Thanks, Arkangel77
    Good idea on the 200 micron and watching to see how long till you have to change them out. May need to have several and trade them out quickly to wash them.

Like the rest of the adaptation. Very handy.
    Lynn

Thanks, Arkangel77
    I don't think that you need a new sump. What you have going on has got great potential. It's getting it balanced that's the trick! In all of my aquarium filter experience, I can't say that I have run across a 75 micron filter sock unless I was specifically looking for it. Most are rated at 100 microns or higher, especially for this type of application. I'll bet you see a huge difference with the 200 micron.

Keep us posted. I love the thread!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by avionics30 View Post
    I don't think that you need a new sump. What you have going on has got great potential. It's getting it balanced that's the trick! In all of my aquarium filter experience, I can't say that I have run across a 75 micron filter sock unless I was specifically looking for it. Most are rated at 100 microns or higher, especially for this type of application. I'll bet you see a huge difference with the 200 micron.

Keep us posted. I love the thread!
    BOY I hope you are right! I have ordered the NEW filter bags! We will see!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast