ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: UV against outbreak of diseases and overflow for existing tank

Registered Member

Default UV against outbreak of diseases and overflow for existing tank

Hi

I have 2 questions:

1. I have bought a UV-unit to put on my breeding setup with 3 breeding tanks filtered by a W/D sump. Should I place the UV before or after the sump?

2. I am also thinking about getting a sump under my showtank with wild discus. The problem is that there is no overflow drilled in the bottom of this tank and I would like to have an overflow built without drilling. Is this possible and how can I do that?

Mary

Default Re: UV against outbreak of diseases and overflow for existing tank

Okay here's what I would do :

1) For the UV, it should be placed after the sump, basically the water is clean and particule free which will make the UV increasese the effectivness of your UV. Howvevr you must pay particular attention to water flow and watttage of your UV. If the flow is to fast it will not be effective and if the UV is not powerfull enough it will not be effective.

2)Tunze have overflow systems that you hang on to the side of your tank. I've used them in the past, they are expensive but well worth it.

Hope this helped.

Registered Member

Yep, and you need a really powerfull UV to really kill parasites. 9 watts is a joke. I would get 50 watts if possible. I have a 25 watts that run at about 80 gallons per hour and that was not enough to control my fluke problem at all.

All the water must go through it and slow enough for it to be efficient, depending on the strength of the UV.

They can be huge as well. Mine is nearly 3 feet long and the 50 watts was 4 feet! quite a monster.

I have a Laguna 25 watts. I will combine this with a diatom or micro filter to prevent any further outbreak in the future, or at least try to.

Quote Originally Posted by erikc View Post
    Okay here's what I would do :

1) For the UV, it should be placed after the sump, basically the water is clean and particule free which will make the UV increasese the effectivness of your UV. Howvevr you must pay particular attention to water flow and watttage of your UV. If the flow is to fast it will not be effective and if the UV is not powerfull enough it will not be effective.

2)Tunze have overflow systems that you hang on to the side of your tank. I've used them in the past, they are expensive but well worth it.

Hope this helped.

2. I am also thinking about getting a sump under my showtank with wild discus. The problem is that there is no overflow drilled in the bottom of this tank and I would like to have an overflow built without drilling. Is this possible and how can I do that?
    You can use an overflow box that hangs in the back. Eshopps makes different size according to what you want to accomplish in term of gph. I read that lifereef makes one of the better overflow box but it's expensive. Between the overflow box, sump (DIY is probably the cheapest), and pump and media, it will set you a few hundred back.