ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Kindly Identify the strain

Smile Kindly Identify the strain

Its 2" excluding tail.
    I want to know what strain or variety of discus are they.
    I have attached two pictures. Kindly identify both of them individually.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thank you,
    Sandip
    ------------------------------------------------
    Nothing worth doing is ever easy...

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: Kindly Identify the strain

looks like a Leopard to me

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    looks like a Leopard to me
    both?
    Thank you,
    Sandip

Real Name
    Ricardo

the second one more so than the first but it might be that the first one is younger, or at least looks younger to me. i might be completely wrong here but to me they do look like Leopards

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

They could both be from the same spawn and from Leopard parents. There are always Leps and Turqs and everything in between in a spawn of Leps.

Kacey

Quote Originally Posted by kaceyo View Post
    They could both be from the same spawn and from Leopard parents. There are always Leps and Turqs and everything in between in a spawn of Leps.

Kacey
    Hi Kacey,

That is interesting. I have never bred any leopards but I felt that they did have some relationship to red turquoise and that many domestic varieties going under the name of "Red Spotted Greens" appeared to me to be to be better described as Green Spotted Red Turquoise.
    Larry Waybright

Smile Re: Kindly Identify the strain

Thank you Ric and Thank you kacey.
    Thank you,
    Sandip

Quote Originally Posted by Apistomaster View Post
    Hi Kacey,

That is interesting. I have never bred any leopards but I felt that they did have some relationship to red turquoise and that many domestic varieties going under the name of "Red Spotted Greens" appeared to me to be to be better described as Green Spotted Red Turquoise.
    Hey Larry,
    In the early days they would get more RT's in a Lep spawn than Leps. Now we get 50% to 70% spotteds. I'm told that they were originaly a cross between wild RSG and turq's with short broken lines, but who knows what the truth is.
    As for domestic RSG's, I personally I doubt if there are any RSG genes in them. There may be a small group of dedicated breeders in Germany that still has true domestic RSG's, but you wouldn't find them readily available.

Kacey

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by kaceyo View Post
    Hey Larry,
    In the early days they would get more RT's in a Lep spawn than Leps. Now we get 50% to 70% spotteds. I'm told that they were originaly a cross between wild RSG and turq's with short broken lines, but who knows what the truth is.
    As for domestic RSG's, I personally I doubt if there are any RSG genes in them. There may be a small group of dedicated breeders in Germany that still has true domestic RSG's, but you wouldn't find them readily available.

Kacey
    I'm not really sure about the observation wrt "true domestic RSG's"- Wattley, Rocky Mountain Discus and others offer what would appear to be descendants of wild RSG's as do others. FishKing USA has what they represent to be F1 RSG's, and a look through the archives at Sunrise Tropicals reveals fish that appear to have much the same attributes. Not to mention that Kenny recently offered F2 Ring Leopard x wild RSG's...

It's also widely held that Lo Wing Yat incorporated wild RSG genetics into the development of his Leopards, which seems entirely obvious to me...

Just one guy's opinion- none of us will ever know for sure, unless we go to the amazon, collect and breed the fish ourselves...

Quote Originally Posted by Apistomaster View Post
    Hi Kacey,

I agree. Here's sth I learnd, the original Malaysia leopard (not the very first leopard in history from WWFF) is from a cross b/w a red diamond (Lo Wing Yat's WR14RS, half RSG and half red turq blooded) and a red turq. Afterwards the red spot phonotype were chosen for selective breeding. So actually the turq blood is involved from the very beginning for the majority of leopard nowadays. I also heard from some breeders that there're always turq-looking fry out of most pairs of leopards, especially nowadays many leopards are actually from the brood of leopard snakeskins.

There were, and there still are pure RSG-blooded leopards out there (cross between different RSG lines from different origins, like many of WWFF's spotted lines). They have more sharp-looking spots, no need for color enhancing, while having worse shape and size, and were said to be hard to breed, due to lacking of hybrid vigor.

-Xiaofei

Quote Originally Posted by vss View Post
    I agree. Here's sth I learnd, the original Malaysia leopard (not the very first leopard in history from WWFF) is from a cross b/w a red diamond (Lo Wing Yat's WR14RS, half RSG and half red turq blooded) and a red turq. Afterwards the red spot phonotype were chosen for selective breeding. So actually the turq blood is involved from the very beginning for the majority of leopard nowadays. I also heard from some breeders that there're always turq-looking fry out of most pairs of leopards, especially nowadays many leopards are actually from the brood of leopard snakeskins.

There were, and there still are pure RSG-blooded leopards out there (cross between different RSG lines from different origins, like many of WWFF's spotted lines). They have more sharp-looking spots, no need for color enhancing, while having worse shape and size, and were said to be hard to breed, due to lacking of hybrid vigor.

-Xiaofei
    Interesting read, I hope to find a little bit out on my own, with the new shipment of domestic RSG I am getting in a few weeks.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."