AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Week 17

Default Week 17

Well, completed week 17 and the contest discus are growing more slowly but they are doing great.
    The water in our area is extremely soft, gh and kh less than 1, tds is 65 microseimens,
    30 parts per million, ph 6.50. I keep two sponge filters and hang on back filter in their tank
    to keep the nitrites and ammonia reading 0. They get daily 75% water changes so ph remains fairly stable but
    it would start to drop within 2 - 3 days without the water changes. Keeps me honest in doing those water changes.

Have a few pictures this week, the first is a group shot. I still have the one most colorful that could use
    some catching up on size but (she) makes it up with beauty.

The second picture is a little closer shot showing how the eye color is filling in around the iris.
    They all have intense red highlights and red eyes on their light colored body against a black background.
    Makes a beautiful display especially in the evening.

Now this third shot, I hope nobody minds, is a picture of a couple young wild caught Rio Uatuma royal blue discus.
    I don't keep them with the contest discus, they have their own tank and in a different room in the house.
    Their color is just starting to develop. They are much more slow developing their color than domestics
    but so beautiful when they do mature. I love all discus but will always have a place for wilds. I'm hoping to
    include a shot of these royal blue once a month to watch them develop over time. Hope everyone will enjoy
    watching them as much as I do.

Bill

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: Week 17

just plain gorgeous! keep it up bud

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member

Bill,

The fish are absolutely beautiful. I've been wondering about the iris coloration and am glad to see it fills in. Mind about showing other discus? No Way! Like you, I love wilds and yours are great examples.

Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    just plain gorgeous! keep it up bud
    You almost replied before I posted......you quick
    Thanks and take care,
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by kirkp View Post
    Bill,

The fish are absolutely beautiful. I've been wondering about the iris coloration and am glad to see it fills in. Mind about showing other discus? No Way! Like you, I love wilds and yours are great examples.

Kirk
    Hey thanks Kirk. I got lucky finding these royals, thought it would add something because I'm straining coming up with more things to say about the albino's.
    Take care
    Bill

Real Name
    Chris

Your discus are gorgeous! Where did you get your wilds? Absolutely spot on perfect with all of them.

Chris
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."~ Mahatma Gandhi

Bill,

They look literally amazing! Well done! You really have some random patterning in your fish. Very interesting!

Best wishes!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bill,
    AWESOME! Love the patterns. color and shape is perfect. The diet you are feeding is really showing in them. Looks like all of their eyes are turning solid red. Do you add iron to your mix? Thanks for the update.

Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by Scribbles View Post
    Your discus are gorgeous! Where did you get your wilds? Absolutely spot on perfect with all of them.

Chris
    Hi Chris,
    I bought the wilds off aquabid a few months ago. Had my fingers crossed until they got here but they turned out ok.
    Thanks
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by avionics30 View Post
    Bill,

They look literally amazing! Well done! You really have some random patterning in your fish. Very interesting!

Best wishes!
    Hi Chad
    Ya, they are sort of mixed up, like me at times.
    Thanks for the compliments
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by acroken View Post
    Bill,
    AWESOME! Love the patterns. color and shape is perfect. The diet you are feeding is really showing in them. Looks like all of their eyes are turning solid red. Do you add iron to your mix? Thanks for the update.

Kenny
    Hi Kenny
    I only add beefheart and shrimp, 50/50, no vitamins or minerals. Why, do you see something that iron would improve? I look at them so much it's easy to overlook things and another persons objective would be much appreciated.
    Your discus are so rich in color I'm sure you could help with mine.
    Thanks Kenny
    Bill

LOL, Bill you are a funny man. I do not think anyone could raise a better batch of discus then you are. I was asking about the iron as yours have such beautiful red eyes. I am not adding any color enhancers to my mixes yet. I am going for the solid yellow look If i do add color enhancers it will be for yellows. They are feed prime reef and ON formula one pellets so they are picking up some from them.

Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by acroken View Post
    LOL, Bill you are a funny man. I do not think anyone could raise a better batch of discus then you are. I was asking about the iron as yours have such beautiful red eyes. I am not adding any color enhancers to my mixes yet. I am going for the solid yellow look If i do add color enhancers it will be for yellows. They are feed prime reef and ON formula one pellets so they are picking up some from them.

Kenny
    Kenny
    I was serious !
    Guess the Prime and ON is really working for you, your's look awesome.
    I was wondering about their eye color at first but looks like given time it fills in by itself. Guess I should have assumed fish coming from Kenny would be impeccable quality, eyes and all.
    Thanks again Kenny
    Bill

Absolutely beautiful Bill. Keep up the good work!