AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Stressed discus?

Registered Member

Default Stressed discus?

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the discus world. I own 4 blue cobalt discus. They were originally raised in 8.6 pH water. I decided to give them a shot.

My question however; they turn a very dark colour (which I assume is stress) but when I walk up to the tank or do any maintenance they seem to return back to their original state. All of them are eating, etc.

Is there any explanation for this? Its almost like they need attention in order to be happy. I really have no idea.

Thanks in advance.

Real Name
    Chris

Default Re: Stressed discus?

How long have you had them? What are your water parameters? What size tank are they in?

Chris
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."~ Mahatma Gandhi

Registered Member

75 gallon community tank. Actually the most aggressive fish in my tank are the discus (the bigger one picking at the other 3) They were in 8.6 pH water in the store, they seem fine in my water (roughly 7.0-7.5) I have a fluval FX5 filter running my tank. I do 30%-50% water changes twice a week.

Ive had them for a couple weeks now. Also forgot to mention my temperature is at 26-27 Celsius. Maybe turning up the temperature to 30 would suit them better?
    Last edited by instro2; 09-16-2009 at 03:37 AM.

Real Name
    Chris

What are your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings? Sounds like they made it through a pretty big drop in PH. I would raise the temp to 82F for adults and 86F for juvies. What other fish are in the tank? Some will not tolerate the higher temps that discus require. What and how often are you feeding?

Chris
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."~ Mahatma Gandhi

Four really isn't enough to make them feel comfortable.