AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What filters are best

Default Re: What filters are best

Quote Originally Posted by mench View Post
    this is not a note to buy this product,I just found this site and have been e-mailing the owner about his new Rocket fitlers...I think I am going to get a couple to try and then I will post about them...Here is the site for any one who wants to read about them....
    aquaresearchcenter.com

mench
    I received four rocket filters yesterday, which I'm going to use in my QT tank.

Did you get your order Mench? If so, what do you think of them.

Quote Originally Posted by fishyj View Post
    Just wondering what filters would be best for keeping the water crystal clear. I have a fluval canister and an emperor 400 hob and it doesn't seem to keep it clear enough on my 125, even with the water changes I can still see floating debris.

I started out with two Emperor 400. I used Eheim subtrate in the reusable media cartidge and took the AC out of the floss cartridge. It did an okay job. Now I use a wet/dry sump and my water is crystal clear. I use fine media sheets in the drip tray along with the micro pad.

For my other tanks with AquarClear 70 HOB, I'm testing Seachems Purigen for reducing organics and polishing water. I'll let you know how it works out. It may turn out to be a good alternative for your canister.

Real Name
    Willie

I run 4 double stacked Hydro V's in my barebottom 125, which has ~25 2.5" - 3.5" Rose Reds growing out, assorted corys and plecos.

The tank gets a minimum 100% water change per week and the sponge filters are squeezed every time. The sponges are run with air pumps and air stones.

The water is crystal clear despite heavy feeding and a large bioload.

Willie

Registered Member

I used to have a 135 that I used 2 HOB sponge filled, Aqua Clear 500s and 3 Hydro 5s air driven. Kept the tank crystal clear and filtered enough to handle around 27 adult PBs. I would occasionally hang 2 Hot magnums for water polishing (especially after WCs and or a major tank cleaning). I became a fan of the ACs and Hydro sponges mainly because of cost and ease of maintenance. I did water changes @ 50% every other day.

HTH,
    Tad
    Attached Images Attached Images

On the weekends I spend time running my Diatom XL Filters on all my tanks. I have 3 running every weekend

Quote Originally Posted by David Rose View Post

So David, how are the Rocket Filters? Have you had a chance to test them yet?
    I never drink water because of the disgusting things that fish do in it.. - W. C. Fields
    Joan R

Hi Joan,

They came the 24th, so I haven't set them up yet. One of the four was broken in the box, but can easily be resealed. joeG offered to replace it for me, but it should be fine with some silicone.

Here's a couple of pics of the broken one that will actually make it easier to see the parts:

The tube on the right is actually upside down and you can see the silicone that remains from where it has a clean break from the base on the left.

The base stores lava rock currently, but you could put gravel or other substrate inside. The air tube was taped to the side above and you insert the red taped end into the top section. As you can see, it has floss and a small sponge at the top leading to the air tube.

Footprint is about 3.75 inches wide at the base and almost 10 inches tall.

I was initially attracted to it given it seemed more compact, but not by much in actuality. On the website it claims to keep the bottom cleaner, but the slits in the bottom section seem as if they would clog easily.

There are pluses and minuses at first glance, but I'll hold off on my final opinion to see how it performs.

PS: I'm a sucker for gadgets and have to try them!
    Last edited by David Rose; 12-27-2009 at 08:15 PM.

Love the ornament, is there some kind of screening behind the bottom intake slits to stop clogging?
    I never drink water because of the disgusting things that fish do in it.. - W. C. Fields
    Joan R

No, there is only the lava rock or whatever media if you want to change it out.

Thanks David, they are reasonably priced, let us know when you try one. My HOT Magnum really cleans up after tank maintenance but leaves some debris on the bottom, I have to keep stiring it up to get it all. I ordered the intake extension to get it closer to the lower levels of the water, hope that helps. If someone would invent something that would suck up all the particles off the bottom full time that would be great!
    Joan R

Registered Member

I solve the problem of tank bottom debris by using a Hydor Koralia powerhead attached to one side of the tank glass close to the bottom, on the opposite side of the filter intake. After the fish completely cease feeding or after tank maintenance is done, most of the resulting debris (except large pieces of poop which are siphoned out daily or during water changes) is gently blown off the bare bottom and into the water column, where it is soon sucked into the canister filter and down into a space below the bottom media basket. A small colony of ghost shrimp (and an occasional tetra) permanently resides therein, protected from predation and hungrily awaiting all the little bits of uneaten food. Since the entire filter hose assembly can be uncoupled by the flip of a lever, it is very easy to remove the filter body, pull out the media baskets, pour out the old canister water through a net to remove all waste whilst retaining the shrimp, and then replace the water/shrimp/media baskets before reconnecting to the hoses. Takes about 5 minutes, tops; doing this once in a while coupled with a 100% WC every 2-3 days ensures the tank stays nice and clean for my growing fish. Keeping my planted driftwood debris-free used to be more problematic, but now I also have larger shrimp and otos helping out there too.

My $0.02,

Colin

That sounds very ingenious Colin. I got the extension tube today for the HOT magnum and it's getting more of the lower part of the tank cleared a lot faster. I still like my small robot vacuum idea best...lol
    Joan R

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by David Rose View Post

let us know how they turn out David. I would think putting ceramic rings might be a better choice than the lava rocks, but that's just me. i'm a sucker for gadgets as well but from what it looks like it seems a hydro sponge filter has more surface area comparatively and does a good job and is cheap. On their website it claims to be fry safe which we know a sponge filter also is. it's kind of like re-inventing the wheel in my eyes. the slits idea is the only thing it has going for it but even then they look to be too narrow and look to be able to clog easily which you have already deduced. regardless, let us know buddy

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12