ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sept. 20th.Update

Default Sept. 20th.Update

Hi everyone! Sorry I haven't been around the site lately. I've had to travel a bit as of late and I've only been home a few days a week. If it wasn't for the auto water changes, I'd be in real big trouble.

The good news:
    Everything is great with the contest fish. My wife has been a great help along with the awc and autofeedings. I came home to find my canister filter fully cycled so that was added a few days ago and is working great. I'm hoping to lessen the amount of water changes with the addition but the fish are out growing the tank so I'll have to see. I've thought about moving a couple to the display and keep only 4 in the 60 gallon but I'm not sure if the judging is based on the group as a whole or just one individual fish. Maybe someone knows?

The bad news:
    An opportunity has presented itself that I may be offered a major job with a major band. If I take it, it would mean going back to a full time touring schedule. In other words, no fish, no falconry, (no family)a major life altering deal. I would have to find homes for not only the contest fish but all the display fish as well. My wife's just not a fish person It hasn't been officially offered and I have only given a tentative yes but every metal guitar player in the world would think I'm crazy for even hestitating. For now it'll be business as usuall.

I want to give a shout out to all the contestants that are doing such an awesome job! Here's some pics from this morning.

Default Re: Sept. 20th.Update

Hi Steve
    When I opened this post my response was WOW, what a picture........then I read your story....

I had planned to split my group up at a later date if needed, into multiple 55's or 30 breeder tanks.
    I would keep them separate from other fish/discus though. Not sure what rules apply here.

I have no right offering any opinion about your band career but my experience has been "If the opportunity knocks",
    you won't have to feel bad years from now thinking why in the heck didn't I do that.
    The rest of life has a way of working out the absolute best it can. Compromises are meant to be shared in a family.

If you get to the point where you have trouble relocating your contest discus I may be able to run down I-5 to pick
    them up and give them a home almost as good as you have provided. Rochelle, Derek and Edward would at least
    be able to check Simply on Nacho's weekly growth, crediting you of course.

I sure have mixed feelings about all this but no matter which path you choose I'm sure you will make the best choice.
    Take care buddy, great pictures, awesome discus.
    Bill

Nice and good job I love second pic and good luck
    Henry
    Back to Discus grin:

Registered Member

Fish look real nice! Yeah you have kind of a faust deal here.. Can i ask for which bend would you play?

Steve,

You've got to do what you feel is best for you and your family.We only get one shot at this life..make it count.

Its a real shame about the contest fish if you have to leave the Hobby...You've been doing a great job so far and I know you've put your heart into it.... Its a bit of a bummer though as far as the contest goes... ... Drop me a pm and lets talk... and please keep me posted on what you decide and everything..

take care,
    al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 09-20-2009 at 07:41 PM.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Chris

Steve,

Your fish look awesome! Their color and shape are super and they look huge. Best of luck with your band career.

Chris
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."~ Mahatma Gandhi

Real Name
    Ricardo

i agree with Hendri, that second pic is breathtaking. pm Eddie and ask him to make an avatar for you of that pic.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Thanks Bill! I really appreciate your words of encouragement and your offer!

Nice and good job I love second pic and good luck
    Thanks Hendri!

Fish look real nice! Yeah you have kind of a faust deal here.. Can i ask for which bend would you play?
    I can't really say since the guy I would replace is still in the band. However unlikely the news may come from this site it wouldn't be cool. I can say it's one of the best metal bands to come out of the S.F. bay area IMHO

Steve,

You've got to do what you feel is best for you and your family.We only get one shot at this life..make it count.

Its a real shame about the contest fish if you have to leave the Hobby...You've been doing a great job so far and I know you've put your heart into it.... Its a bit of a bummer though as far as the contest goes... ... Drop me a pm and lets talk... and please keep me posted on what you decide and everything..

take care,
    al
    PM sent.

Steve,

Your fish look awesome! Their color and shape are super and they look huge. Best of luck with your band career.

Chris
    Thanks Chris!

i agree with Hendri, that second pic is breathtaking. pm Eddie and ask him to make an avatar for you of that pic.
    Great idea Rick! I'll make it so!

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Its been awhile since l've been on here and have noticed a huge change in your fish....they are HUGE!!
    you're doing a great job......and good luck with your decision with your life...whichever way you choose to go..as long as you move forwards
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Beautiful fish.

Best of luck to you and your family with your decision.
    Lynn

Registered Member

Wow, nice fish. What strain is the second pic from the top? Thats a nice looking pic.

Ben

Amazing Steve, fish look amazing. I am sorry to hear that you may be going down another avenue but that is what life is all about, avenues. I wish you the best in what ever you decide and you really have done some amazing things with your fish since I've known you. No matter what, you'll always have that discus bug.

Take care my friend,

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Steve,

Great job on the fish man! Even with all your time away, they look fantastic!

I am excited for you and your new career move as well as a bit saddened about your hobby. Things do happen and your situation is one of them. I'm all about taking opportunity when it knocks. I have lived my life with that philosophy and thus far it hasn't steered me wrong, but I'm only 35. LOL!

As mentioned above, if you have issues placing your fish in new homes when the time comes, let me know. I have plenty of tank space. That's something for the future though.

Well done with the contest fish my friend!

Best wishes and best of luck with your life decision!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

These guys look so nice and round, thick and fat. Great job

Congrats on getting the gig if you do end up going on tour

Good luck Steve, all the best - and the fish look excellent too!
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast