ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Hello Everyone!!!

Banned

Default Hello Everyone!!!

Hello, my name is Chris and I currently reside in Alexandria, VA. I have been in the reptile/ aquarium hobby for 18 years. I started off catching reptiles in my backyard when I was five and has progressed to me traveling to Peru and Brazil over the past several years studying my two favorite loves; fish and frogs. Through these travels I've gotten to see their habitats first hand which allowed me to gain further knowledge into the care and breeding habitats for most of the animals I work with.

Another passion like I've stated is the aquarium hobby. I love freshwater fish! I contribute a lot of my knowledge to my mentor, Dr. Robert J. Goldstein. He is a well known author and breeder in the fish hobby. Over the years working I have gotten a chance to work for some great companies who taught me the cares and needs of saltwater as well. Through those jobs I was able to breed jellyfish, work with an old curator of the Monterey Bay Aquarium, and even maintain a 2,500 gallon reef system for the Smithsonian Institute. I love my two hobbies and I try to pass along my passion by making it visible in the vivariums and aquariums I create. If you ever have a question please don't hesitate to contact me and I'll be happy to assist you as best as I can.

Anyways, that's a little about myself but here is what I created this post about lol. I had the chance to learn a lot under the owner of Aquatic Creations Group, Inc in Raleigh, NC. I learned a lot form him as he was the former curator of the Monterey Bay Aquarium in California and also majored in marine biology. This is one of his planted discus tanks that he designed and set-up. I simply helped with the maintenance of it.

I will post links once I hit 10 post

Banned

Default Re: Hello Everyone!!!

Anyone ever used this style lighting or know someone who has? Great ratings it sounds like but trouble installing it. Just want to know what I'm getting into lol

Maxspect Mazarra P-Series MZ-P01 Complete LED Lighting System - 3 LED Modules

Banned

Ok, now that I have 10 post here are the links.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okUweGl7gFs
    450 Gallon Discus tank by Aquatic Creations Group in Raleigh, NC I helped maintain when I worked for them

Pictures of the aquarium Im installing in Alexandria, VA

The space where the tank is going. Sorry for the blurring but had to block my customers face.

Outlets and copper water line for sump/ waterchanges

Space for the sump, more plugs, cold water line, and the pvc pipe is for a drain line that goes directly into there plumbing.

Hello Chris,

Welcome to SD. Can't wait to see what you are building and hope your knowledge will benefit many of us here.
    DiscusLoverJeff

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
    Confucius

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusLoverJeff View Post
    Hello Chris,

Welcome to SD. Can't wait to see what you are building and hope your knowledge will benefit many of us here.
    Thanks, I hope to learn a lot here. I am not an expert by anymeans and can always learn new tricks. I will try to help out people the best that I can though.

Hey, that's a pretty nice tank, Chris. Really like what you did. That tank makes me want to grow plants in my discus tank. Also, really like the large school of SAEs. I had 4 in my tank, but have 2 now. I think I am going to get some more. Also, not sure about the title: 450G discus tank. I think it's more like 450G SAE tank with a few discus and other fish. Good luck with your venture. I am sure I will see you in one of the local club meetings.

Yun-

- 265G Wild Discus Community
    - 90G African Cichlids
    - 56G Reef
    - 20G, 20G, 29G Community
    - 20G, 26G, 36G empty

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by YSS View Post
    Hey, that's a pretty nice tank, Chris. Really like what you did. That tank makes me want to grow plants in my discus tank. Also, really like the large school of SAEs. I had 4 in my tank, but have 2 now. I think I am going to get some more. Also, not sure about the title: 450G discus tank. I think it's more like 450G SAE tank with a few discus and other fish. Good luck with your venture. I am sure I will see you in one of the local club meetings.
    Thanks man! I love SAEs lol. Are you going to the holiday party next week?

Registered Member

+1