AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 210g Watermelon discus display tank pics...

Registered Member

Default Re: 210g Watermelon discus display tank pics...

Quote Originally Posted by Scribbles View Post
    Pretty tank. What strains are you going to put in it? Silver pigeons or White Butterflys would look awesome.

Chris
    I'm going to mix it up with different strains that I can get through Gulf Coast Discus (Houston Aquarium Warehouse)...They are local to me and always have quality stuff...I will probably get 12 or so. I would also like a school of tetras and a crew of cories.

My virginae corys have been awesome they easily stand up to the higher temps

Registered Member Darren's Discus's Avatar

Matt,
    looks like a great set up,love the colour very different ! Dan has some beautiful fish look forward to the pics.

cheers
    Darren Burgess
    Townsville Queensland Australia
    townsvillerocks@gmail.com

Matt,

re read your thread, painting the sids 1/2 way seems like a good idea for the fish and to hide equipment. How is that working out with equipment?
    Lynn

Registered Member Cooldadddyfunk286's Avatar

very very cool man, that looks really nice. the ballet slipper pink that I used is pretty faint from the inside of the tank. looks mostly white. yours looks alot more pink. very nice! keep us updated please!
    -Jason-
    -------------------------

Registered Member Cooldadddyfunk286's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Elite Aquaria View Post
    Matt,

That is a great looking tank...I wish the boss here would let me get one for the inside of the house...

Right now I am QT to the garage...
    Dan, she wont even let you have ONE nice display tank in the house?? c'mon mrs. E.....c'mon now

I think you should just set one up REAL beautiful one day. stock it with some killer Wayne beauties...she'll probably love it! do it, do it!
    -Jason-
    -------------------------

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lytehouse View Post
    Matt,

re read your thread, painting the sids 1/2 way seems like a good idea for the fish and to hide equipment. How is that working out with equipment?

I think its working out very well...one of my goals is to have all underwater equipment hidden from view as to not ruin the look. I will have all my intake tubes hidden behind branches of wood, and outputs in the top far corners blocked from view by wood as well. My filter houses a built in heater so those are hidden too. So the half painted sides are a good compromise and also do well to block the overflow box hanging off the right side.

I will post more pics soon...planning to mount the branches this weekend.

Registered Member

With the help of a friend I was able to mount the wood...It wasnt very easy to do. We used all stainless steel screws and pre-drilled the holes. The hardest part was making it all look good while making it fit and keeping into consideration swimming room for the fish. In the end, I think it came out well.

I also went out and purchased new bulbs for my fixture. I knew the bulbs would be the key to pulling this color off and making it something people will remember. I set a schedule to include a morning/evening, midday, and night. I am thrilled with the results...

I have a single Aquatic Life Actinic and one Hagen Powerglo 18k for my morning/evening event.

Midday consist of the morning/evening bulbs plus a combo of a Geissman Midday 6000k and a Geissman Aquablue 15k.

Night consist of four blue LEDs that are built into the fixture.

I also dumped 2 big bottles of Safe Start in today as well as squeezed out an established sponge filter into the tank. Hopefully this will speed up my fishless cycle...I can hardly wait to stock the tank!

Thanks for looking!

-Matt

And I can hardly wait to see it stocked! That is pure perfection in design, you did an outstanding job. It's beauty is in the simplicity and won't overpower the fish. I like the two-tone background swirl effect and the wood is just awsome.
    I never drink water because of the disgusting things that fish do in it.. - W. C. Fields
    Joan R

Registered Member

Your tank looks AWSOME cant wait to see fish in it either .

Registered Member

F A N T A S T I C! Now i would only put a large school of blueface heckels/cuipea blues/browns wild red spotted teffe discus.

First off, well thought out lighting set up & thanks for all the pics.

Also, tank looks great. You've really done a nice job.

I wanted to ask, since I've never had this type of wood in the tank...

Is there any danger in the Discus harming themselves on the ends of the wood?
    Lynn

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lytehouse View Post
    First off, well thought out lighting set up & thanks for all the pics.

Also, tank looks great. You've really done a nice job.

I wanted to ask, since I've never had this type of wood in the tank...

Is there any danger in the Discus harming themselves on the ends of the wood?
    I would have to say yes there is always a chance, but its also about how much space you have to work with. One of the hardest parts of mounting the wood was creating holes and spaces in the design so that they would have plenty of swimming room. Its hard to tell from the pics but the piece of wood coming from the right that appears to be in the middle foreground is a good 6 to 7 inches away from the front glass. Infact none of the pieces touch any glass, with the exception of the high branch coming from the left that touches the top middle brace.

I may do a little trimming on the tiny branch, there are a few points of wood that you cant really see and could scratch a fish....but also keep in mind the shape of a discus, they are naturally found in some areas much more wooded than my tank. I have seen a video of discus in the wild and I was suprised at how much wood cover the fish were hiding in.

Absolutely amazing tank! That is WICKED! Some Adults in that tank will be like ANGELS!!!

All the best,

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

I see what you are talking about...

The tank just looks great.
    Lynn

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast