AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you install a auto-off float valve?

Default How do you install a auto-off float valve?

Hi,

I've been searching the forum for a "how to" step-by-step installation guide for adding a float value to my 55gal water aging barrel. The link I found "Auto Top Off Float Switch" is inactive and so far I haven't found anything else.

Any help would be appreciated for this plumbing challenged hobbyist.

BTW, I have my RO unit dripping into the barrel now and check it daily to manually shut it off.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Default Re: How do you install a auto-off float valve?

David,

You need an ASV (auto shut off valve) and a float switch (something like you see on your toilet tank). You can get it as a kit.

Are you still interested in getting the RO setup I have? Email me.

vlam168@gmail.com

BTW: this is an example of a kit that you would need.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?pcatid=14690
    Last edited by DiscusOnly; 09-12-2009 at 11:25 AM.

Registered Member jeff@zina.com's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dlr1961 View Post
    Hi,

I've been searching the forum for a "how to" step-by-step installation guide for adding a float value to my 55gal water aging barrel.
    Float valves come with directions, but basically you mount the valve at the height you want the water. That's for a typical water trough float valve used in the farm trades. There is usually some adjustment in the valve itself, turn a screw or bend a rod, that will let you adjust the height within an inch or two.

The alternative are valves similar to the toilet tank fill valve. A ball or a float on the valve reaches a certain height and turns off. With a little engineering you can make one of these work, but a valve from a farm supply store is inexpensive and easier.

Jeff

Thanks Van and Jeff. Sounds easy enough. Looks like I'll have to cut a hole in my barrel to get it in. I'm thinking of getting a 100gal storage tank that has a 5" manway on top for better access.

Van, yep I'm still interested in adding your RO unit. Culigan added a second 100gpd membrane to my exisiting 50gpd, but I haven't noticed any significant increase in production. Most likely due to my well water pressure. I will probably need to add a booster to really solve my problem in getting 100gpd + a day capacity.

I think I did say, I'm challenged in this area. Give me massive spreadsheets with pivot tables, financial and production statistics, government budgets, contracts, and room full of project managers, CEOs, Vice Presidents, or international customer base and I'm home. Get me in front of a leaky toilet and I'm helpless.
    Last edited by David Rose; 09-12-2009 at 12:48 PM.

David,

Check out this Ebay site. I get ALL of my RO and water filtration supplies from them. Great service and awesome products. Great price too I might add!

http://cgi.ebay.com/AUTO-SHUT-OFF-KI...d=p3286.c0.m14

Best wishes!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

David,
    When installing your float valve, make sure your tighten down on the nylon nut good or even add a small bead of silicone around the outside to insure it does not loosen. I had one flipped upside down and needless to say... flooded my storage room.
    $10
    http://www.jehmco.com/html/float_valves___switches.html

Kenny

Thanks for the links Chad and Kenny! This will really will come in handy to simplify things for me once I get my booster pump installed and my new 100gal barrel that will be here Friday. I guess I know what I'll be doing this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by avionics30 View Post
    David,

Check out this Ebay site. I get ALL of my RO and water filtration supplies from them. Great service and awesome products. Great price too I might add!

http://cgi.ebay.com/AUTO-SHUT-OFF-KI...d=p3286.c0.m14

Best wishes!

Quote Originally Posted by acroken View Post
    David,
    When installing your float valve, make sure your tighten down on the nylon nut good or even add a small bead of silicone around the outside to insure it does not loosen. I had one flipped upside down and needless to say... flooded my storage room.
    $10
    http://www.jehmco.com/html/float_valves___switches.html

Kenny

David,

The link that I sent you also sells the pressure switches for your booster pump. Basically it's an electrical switch that is installed in line right before the float valve. When the float valve closes, the switch opens, shutting off your boost pump. I bought my whole setup there. Works like a champ and they stand behind their products! I'd say the pressure switch is a must if you are using a boost pump.

Best wishes!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chad, I guess I have more research to do to know what all is needed and what goes where. I'll get there... thanks!

No problem David. Let me know if you have any questions.

Best wishes!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I set up a float valve on my water storage using Jehmco. In fact, I would highly recommend just calling John (I think that's his name) at Jehmco and explaining what you want, and let him figure out what to send you, if he has what you need. He has stuff that is not on his web page, and it may fit your bill. Many people on Simply have used his stuff, and call him. Sorry I don't remember his number off the top of my head.

Yep, I've order from Jehmco before and had the pleasure of speaking with John. Good idea to give him a call about this project as well. Thanks Don!

What I have is a Culligan RO system in my laundry room on the basement level. There is a 2gal+ tank that supplies RO water to a faucet at my kitchen sink and refrigerator water dispenser on the main level and an added drain tube leading to my 55gal barrel with a manual shut going into my55 gal barrel. Given my RO production is only about 25-30gpd right now, it hasn't been a problem just to leave it run all night and shut it off manually. The RO has a 50gpd and a 100gpd membrane. Culligan is going to replace the manifold given the production is still low and that is on order.

What would you recommend at least for the basic set up to automate this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated or even a pen & paper diagram (hint hint ).

Last edited by David Rose; 09-23-2009 at 07:18 PM.

David,

I sent you an email.

Wait until next weekend. I'll be out that way and have a 100gpd automated system for you. I know you are in a rush to get it up but I can't head out there this weekend. There is a huge even this weekend in York so I don't want to be stucked in traffic in the area.

I still recommend leaving the culligan system alone and forget running the 2nd membrane. Use a different RO system for your fish.

BTW.. glad to hear that the discus are doing better.

Van
    Last edited by DiscusOnly; 09-23-2009 at 07:39 PM.

Van, sounds like it can work out. I'll follow up with an email tomorrow.

Thanks,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast