AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Python Vs. Aqueon/Marina Gravel Vacs

Default Python Vs. Aqueon/Marina Gravel Vacs

I need to stop sucking water into a bucket! I have to join the world of easy water changing.

I've noticed that some stores have stopped selling the Python No Spill Gravel Vac and in its place, are now selling a Aqueon Gravel Vac or Marina Gravel Vac. Has anyone had any experience with either of these in comparison to the Python? I've just heard so many good things about the Python.

MY problem is, the place that I'm renting right now has one of those extendable kitchen faucets. So, i really don't know how I would attach the Python in the first place...it looks very similar to this....

So, how would I hook it up? I think it could attach to my bathroom faucet, but I don't think there's enough room for attachment - the faucet is very low to the basin.

Are there any adapters that I'm not aware of that would work? - I'm no plumber and don't know what Home Depot has to offer

Default Re: Python Vs. Aqueon/Marina Gravel Vacs

This is what I use to attach to my bathroom faucet.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=new
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Registered Member

The pythons come now with a brass faucet adapter...the Aqueon is plastic...

I have used both....both have broken on me. After a few months of use the Aqueon exploded from the plastic breaking at connection at the sink. Water shot everywhere for a few seconds before I could turn it off.

My python just broke as well..similar cause but it was because I was stretching the hose as far as I could and it put pressure on the plastic part that is connected to the brass adapter. It didnt explode, but did crack and spring a leak. Luckily the local Petco now stocks the replacement parts for the Python and I spent 10 bux to get a new piece.

I think the Aqueon has the better hose and vac, but the python has the better faucet connection.

Now I just use a spa hose, its 1.5" in diameter. I just gravity vac the tank out the front door. Its much faster and doesnt waste any water. I attached a large diameter piece of clear tubing to the end of the spa hose to make my own vac and now I can see what I'm doing a little better. I still can use the python to fill, but I have a custom carbon bottle that I use now to help filter the water a little, so I fill it that way.

Just a tip, if you want to save some money dont buy the spa hose by the foot at the hardware store. You can find it pre-packaged, 30ft+ for around $30 or less.
    Last edited by Matt in Houston; 09-30-2009 at 12:02 AM.

How do you start the siphon?

Thanks,
    -jim
    President NADA

SOS Crew - Texas

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by yim11 View Post
    How do you start the siphon?

Thanks,
    -jim
    Sometimes I can just start it by putting the hose in the water and lifting it a few times to get water down it...

But, its usually faster and works everytime to just walk to the end of the hose and start it the old fashioned way by giving it a good pull from my lungs.

Registered Member

If the aquarium is even 2 ft above where you can discharge it (like to a garden, lawn, bathtub drain) get a length of vinyl hose and just use gravity feed. In other words, UNLESS you need to move water uphill, don't use a python. It is my opinion that pythons needlessly waste water (and energy to pump the water).

Good old gravity and the siphon action will suffice.

NOTE, you will not be able to discharge into sinks because these are typically at the same height as the aquarium. Use the drains in your bathtub or shower stall instead since these are at floor level.

Tim

Real Name
    Chris

This is what I use with my bathroom faucet. Bought the adapter and hose fittling at Ace hardware. I hook a cheap garden hose to my gravel vac for draining onto the front yard. HTH

Chris

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."~ Mahatma Gandhi

Sorry to say that the sprayer faucet you have will not allow you to connect a Python or Marina siphon. Do you have laundry room connections or utility sink within 25/50 ft or so? They usually have the standard fitting needed. Note: Either requires about 6 inches of clearance if you will be using a bathroom sink.

I have the Marina and they break easily as well. I have a Safety siphon from Jehmco with powerhead on order given my low water pressure at the sink and it will save on water being wasted using just the Marina siphon. I only use my to drain, so using either the Python or Marina sink attachment is not needed, but depending on your set up you may need it.

http://www.jehmco.com/html/safety_si...ium_drain.html
    Last edited by David Rose; 09-30-2009 at 04:25 PM.

Registered Member

I have broken three of these cheap python units. The plastic they cast from is soft and only lasts a few months if you use it everyday. I would never buy another until they upgrade to better hardware. Not talking about the brass adapter. The whole unit needs to be brass not soft molded plastic. MY 3 Cents
    Last edited by rickscics; 09-30-2009 at 10:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dlr1961 View Post
    Sorry to say that the sprayer faucet you have will not allow you to connect a Python or Marina siphon. Do you have laundry room connections or utility sink within 25/50 ft or so? They usually have the standard fitting needed. Note: Either requires about 6 inches of clearance if you will be using a bathroom sink.

I have the Marina and they break easily as well. I have a Safety siphon from Jehmco with powerhead on order given my low water pressure at the sink and it will save on water being wasted using just the Marina siphon. I only use my to drain, so using either the Python or Marina sink attachment is not needed, but depending on your set up you may need it.

http://www.jehmco.com/html/safety_si...ium_drain.html
    That isn't the same type of product, so it wouldn't be a valid alternative or replacement. A python is used to remove detritus, any other wastes, old foods, etc. The Jehmco product only removes water.

HTHs,
    -jim
    President NADA

SOS Crew - Texas

Registered Member

"Has anyone had any experience with either of these in comparison to the Python? I've just heard so many good things about the Python."

I was responding to Sharkbaits above question and offering my oppinion of the python.. I know what all the units do Yim.

Quote Originally Posted by yim11 View Post
    That isn't the same type of product, so it wouldn't be a valid alternative or replacement. A python is used to remove detritus, any other wastes, old foods, etc. The Jehmco product only removes water.

HTHs,
    -jim

Jim, Not sure I agree. If you think about it, the current sink faucet isn't going to work and it doesn't sound like the bathroom sink will have enough clearance or perhaps even water pressure, so in my opinion the Safety siphon with power jet attached to the appropriate size vinyl hose purchased from Home Depot or Lowes will work to drain and ensure sufficient power. (Or the just the gravity version)

Granted it may need an adapter on the inlet end as well to attach a short piece of vinyl hose with gravel vac or home made PVC tube and with Chris's/Scibbles adapter on the other end to fill only the mission is accomplished. I wouldn't waste my money on a Python or Mariana again, but the needed parts could come from either or with a little creativity, you can use more durable items from HD or Lowes.

Sorry, I should filled in the blanks to be more clear. Suffice it to say, I hate the Python and Marina products given they break so easily every few months, so my suggestion is the way I'm going given I think it will be much more durable and address all the issues I have as well:

1. Durable parts to get the job done
    2. Sufficent pressure to drain and vac
    3. Little to no wasted water
    4. Can be drained in sink or outside

Rickscics,

For what it's worth, I have three tanks set up and have used both the Python and the Marina. IME, both plastic parts break easily in a short period of time. Yes, you can buy replacement parts for $5-$30 a pop maybe less, so in the long run durability and less cost are a major consideration for me. You might want to check wiht Islesfan regarding experience with the Safety siphon. I must give him credit for suggesting it as an alternative.

http://www.forum.simplydiscus.com/sh...=safety+siphon

Best,
    Last edited by David Rose; 10-01-2009 at 12:38 PM.

I hate the python as well, but it seems to have evolved to a 'necessary evil' in that there really isn't a better commercial solution for removing solid waste from the tank - trust me - I've been looking for a while now!

I've tried pumps with hose/pvc but the problem always ends up being keeping it primed.

Adding a hose to the end of the powerhead in the safety siphon setup definetly has potential, I'm going to try that.

I have no problem removing lots of water very fast from the tanks (as the Jehmo product does) I just can't find a better product than the python for removing solid waste.

Thanks,
    -jim

PS - I've also broken most of the python parts and pieces over the years. Think I've replaced everything at least 3 times except the hose!
    President NADA

SOS Crew - Texas

I feel ya...LOL. I break mine over months not years though and it gets expensive. I'm about a step away from the low tech solution and just use my garden hose and rely on gravity. If I only had the patience to wait for the tank to drain

Registered Member jeff@zina.com's Avatar

For those using a Python (or similar), what are you doing to treat for Chlorine/Chloramines (or other treatments)? I use home-made vinyl siphons (a piece of threaded plastic tubing and a hose barb make for a rigid tip that is interchangeable depending on tank depth), but I'm seriously looking at aging barrels and a pump to refill tanks so I can treat the water first.

Thanks,

Jeff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast