ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Geos with Discus?

Question Geos with Discus?

Does anyone keep any type of geophagus with their discus? If so:

What type do you have?

How long have they been together?

How large is your tank?

Are there any problems/concerns?

I'm just asking because I love geos (especially orange-heads) and would love to have some, but I don't have any personal experience with geos, let alone having these two species together....
    Renee'
    Today I'm feeling:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO-qS0DvBgE

Unhappy Re: Geos with Discus?

Has no one here seriously tried geos with discus? I would hate to try it out and find out the hard way that it doesn't work........

Renee'
    Today I'm feeling:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO-qS0DvBgE

Default Re: Geos with Discus?

I used to have a tank of Thread fin Geos, Acarichthys heckelii, with mine...Its a larger , showy Geo....really a beauty.....didn't mind the discus, but was far too aggressive an eater for them.... They got lions share of the food, the discus just could not compete.

hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

I'm about to do just what you are asking. I have 6 redhead geos that are between 2 and 3 inches and I'm going to be adding 4 to 6 3 to 4 inch discus to their tank this weekend. I also have 5 angels in the tank. the tank is a 90 gallon, but within a couple weeks they will all be moved into a 180. I will let you know how it goes. I think it should work, the lady I'm getting my discus from currently has discus and redhead geos in the same tank with no problems.

Registered Member

I had a red hump goephagus, nice small variety and it was never aggressive . . . at first. After about a year or so, it started to push around the discus on occasion, never hurt them, even though they were much bigger. It was not a continual thing, but did happen enough that I have not put any geophagus in with them since.

Real Name
    Alex

I have 3 small jurupari in a 125 gallon tank with my heckles. they dont other the discus at all. but I dont know what will happen when they grow up.
    ACA life member
    75 gallon WC tefe green discus
    125 gallon WC Heckle discus
    150 gallon tank raised Discus

i wouldnt mix discus with other cichlids,..except maybe uaru..
    Last edited by Triadtropz; 01-06-2009 at 02:52 PM.

Registered Member

Polar Bear [Larry] has a 125g with jurapuri geos and adult discus--the geos are adult sized also and they are completely compatible in his tank.
    Best regards
    Harriett

Registered Member

I have 11 discus with 4 orangeheads and it is working great they are in a 100g 5ft tank. The only thing I am not thrilled with is I changed the front section of my tank so that the geos had sand and left the back 3-4" planted but the geos seem to think that those plants need to come up as well so i am probably going to move them. It took my larger discus a week or two to get use to the geos but they are fine now. I have discus ranging from 2"-6" and the geos are 5-6".

Jackie

There is a very good fish store near where I live in Manchester, CT and they have a huge display tank with small sting ray, wild discus and some gorgeous geos.
    As Al mentioned competeing for food, geos being very fast movers compared to Discus , I can correlate them being bulk of food consumers as Discus will not be aggressive on them. But beautiful fish.
    So I guess observation was that tank was huge enough to get each of them go unnoticed.
    Ashay Sathe
    Always two there are, no more, no less: a master and an apprentice.

Blog: http://vrsathe.blogspot.com/

Registered Member

I have been there ashay and I agree I think because of all the surface area in that tank almost being like a pond with dimensions 4ft by 4 ft wide in like a octagon the discus and stingrays can coesist I tried one jurapari he was 4-5 inches I have a half gravel half bb and he kept moving the gravel over and when it came to feeding he would shove in the middle of things and when you fed bloodworms he would swallow almost all of them with one strike so needless to say I have moved him in a tank with 2 other jurapari and one sulimans and 2 rainbow chiclid and two bolivian rams it's a nice clean tank barely shyphon anything on water changes so good luck with your geo's