ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: L200 Pleco

Default Re: L200 Pleco

I have night lights over my breeder tanks

I keep up to 2 young common bushy nose plecos in with my breeding pairs of Discus but I replace them with smaller specimens by the time they get about 2 inches. I have never had any problems doing this and the plecos do a great job of keeping the sides and bottom glass panels clean. I siphon out accumulations of detritus but I never have to wipe down the glass.
    L200 plecos are fine in a large community Discus tank but they are not algae eaters so you will still need some bushy noses for that duty L200 plecos are more of a carnivorous species aaalthough not likely to bother a discus. I have never had a problem with common bushy noses harassing or attacking Discus sides. I can only guess it must be a bushy nose that is extremely hungry for it to bother Discus
    Larry Waybright

Quote Originally Posted by Apistomaster View Post
    I keep up to 2 young common bushy nose plecos in with my breeding pairs of Discus but I replace them with smaller specimens by the time they get about 2 inches. I have never had any problems doing this and the plecos do a great job of keeping the sides and bottom glass panels clean. I siphon out accumulations of detritus but I never have to wipe down the glass.
    L200 plecos are fine in a large community Discus tank but they are not algae eaters so you will still need some bushy noses for that duty L200 plecos are more of a carnivorous species aaalthough not likely to bother a discus. I have never had a problem with common bushy noses harassing or attacking Discus sides. I can only guess it must be a bushy nose that is extremely hungry for it to bother Discus
    Thank you for you opinion. I see that you have L333 and L134. Do you have these in your Discus tanks as well?

I have 5 Discus Hans Discus. I have a Clown Pleco in my tank w/ my Discus. I have no problems - PH 6.8 Temp is about 86 degrees. Plus the Clown Pleco is one of the smaller plecos - I think max size is about 4" (don't quote me).

My 7 L333 breeders are set up in a 40 gal breeder tank. They have produced about 150 fry since mid summer but I used to keep them with my 10 Heckel Discus. They like the same foods and water temperatures as Discus and they don't eat algae.

I have 12, 16 month old, 2-3/4 inchs L134 in my 125 gal wild Alenquer Discus tank and they also eat the same foods as Discus and need 84*F water. I have almost 180 F1 L134 on hand presently. I keep a large male common Bushy Nose in the 125 gal as my algae eater.
    I only keep and want to breed wild Discus anymore and my fancy plecos.
    I like L200 but they need large breeding tanks and small wild specimens are not very expensive so I can't justify breeding them.

I am growing out 10 wild Hypancistrus zebra. They are an expensive species and stay under 3-1/2 inches. I am specializing in breeding Brazilian Hypancistrus because Brazil has banned their collection and export. My L333 are the largest species I breed. I'm also breeding L260 which is another small species like H. zebra and in demand. I will be trading some of my home bred Hypancistrus for a couple more species bred by other breeders.
    I want to breed about six Brazilian Hypancistrus species and continue breeding Peckoltia species L134. L134 is among the most beautiful small Brazilian plecos with only a few like H. zebra can really compare

Panaque maccus do sometimes reach 4 inches in the wild but I don't think I have ever seen one grown out in an aquarium that was more than 3-1/2 inches; most stay about 3 inches max. They need wood to eat if they are to grow properly. They are a specialized wood eating species and do not rate as very good algae eaters compared to common Bushy Nose. Your tank is likely in a good balance that does to encourage algae growth.
    Last edited by Apistomaster; 10-30-2009 at 01:14 AM.
    Larry Waybright

Real Name
    Discus Hans

Larry,

there seem to come in a "few" wild L46 again. they are building a dam there, if the dam is done, all pleco's behind the dam seem to be going to die any how so the story is they are letting them go again??? not sure, hear say.

btw did you see my wilds????

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=74629

Hans
    I've changed the Discus World.
    Visit our online store at: www.discusfishstore.com
    All advice I give, is because I've good results with it, you're free to copy it. It's not a rule, it's just my way. Ohhhh and don't take me serious, I'm most of the time kidding

Quote Originally Posted by Discus-Hans View Post
    That's why we always keep lights on in our facility

Hans
    so its not necessary for Fish to have there R&R at nite ? Do discus sleep or just stay motionless at nite with no REMs

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12