AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Attaching live plants

Registered Member jeff@zina.com's Avatar

Default Re: Attaching live plants

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    i don't know who would have put crazy glue in an aquarium in the first place but i give them credit for risking their fish. i know i wouldn't have done it, and even now with someone saying it's safe i wouldn't do it.
    Then don't get into reef-keeping. Coral frags are commonly fastened to plugs using cyanoacrylate (Super Glue). It is water proof, inert and sets in water. The gel kind was a godsend to reefers.

I also wouldn't join the military or get into any situations that might risk serious wounds or bleeding. The same stuff is now used to glue wounds together. On humans. And, from experience, works great.

And yes, it works well for plants too.

Jeff

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Does this mean that I can take out the waterlogged wood in my angelfish tank, put super glue onto it and stick on a piece of Anubias, then put back into the tank right away? If so, this is amazing!
    Barb

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    I had been wondering what was taking so long for this reply!
    i was doubting the method at all, i just wouldn't personally do it myself. i find no need to do it since i already have plants attached to my DW

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    i was doubting the method at all, i just wouldn't personally do it myself. i find no need to do it since i already have plants attached to my DW
    No worries! I should have put a little winking guy there. It's just that of course put glue in the aquarium seems so nuts but everything you can read about it on a lot of forums show people doing for corals frags, anubias, ferns, etc. with no issues with fish.
    Last edited by rich815; 10-02-2009 at 01:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Disgirl View Post
    Does this mean that I can take out the waterlogged wood in my angelfish tank, put super glue onto it and stick on a piece of Anubias, then put back into the tank right away? If so, this is amazing!
    Barb
    Works fine with attaching corals. Except you don't even take them out of the tank. Squirt the gel glue on, press in the coral frag and you're done.

Jeff

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Thanks Jeff. I am going to try this with some wood in a tank with no fish yet. I will let you all know how it works. It seems like a great idea!
    Barb

Be carefull about what you trust on planted tank. Not all advice is good advice. Alot of the people on planted tank don't have live fish in their tanks and therefore tend not to worry about what they put in their tanks. I have also heard crazy glue is safe but I wouldn't use it either... Just my two cents worth.

If you're worried about Crazy Glue or other glues of this type, try it in a tank with dither fish, Mollies, Platies, Guppies, Danios, whatever. Might also refer to:

http://www.3reef.com/forums/general-...afe-55605.html

http://www.reeflounge.com/showthread.php?t=22900

http://www.garf.org/algae2/glue_evalu.html

FWIW, I use a generic brand 100% cyanoacrylate gel with no problems in fresh and salt water.

Jeff

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12