ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: moving wrigglers?

Registered Member

Default moving wrigglers?

Is it possible to move wrigglers and parent to another tank? I have one pair that spawned in a community tank for the second time. Both times produced wrigglers and were eaten when free swimming by other discus. I was just going let another batch get eaten (and set up a breeding tank next week) but now there are about 60-70 of them and I am thinking maybe I should try to save this batch? Should I just partition the tank (100 gal) and wait till they go free swimming. It will probably happen while Im at work.

Also, the father is not helping anymore. Should I just move the female and wrigglers/fry?
    Scott

Registered Member Peachtree Discus's Avatar

Default Re: moving wrigglers?

good job making it to that stage

i tend to let both parents take care of the fry unless they start fighting or 1 decides to eat the fry. I am not aware of a partition that they will not be able to swim around, so the freeswimmers will ignore the partition and end up as a quick meal. if you want to breed them, dedicated a breeding tank to them.

with the right net/trapping device, i guess you could move them...although the parents may not react well to the sudden switch to a totally new environment...especially with the fry.
    Last edited by Peachtree Discus; 10-01-2009 at 05:30 PM.
    Wes (FishFlakes)
    "Lifes a game but its not fair, I break the rules so I dont care,
    ...so I keep doin my own thing - walkin tall against the rain"

You could move them with the parents into a 29 gal if you really want to try to save them. It is possible that the parents will eat them though.

Registered Member

You are probably right about them being eaten. I could move the other discus but dont want to try to work with fry in a 100 gallon tank. Ill just move them to a 29 and wait for the next hatch. There is now a second pair with wrigglers in the same tank so ill need two 29s. go figure.
    Scott