I wish you could too.

Default Re: Northeast Discus Meeting..Fall 2009

Quote Originally Posted by scolley View Post
    Whats the price for the 21rst?
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by GrillMaster View Post
    Ooops! I goofed... Better check that out!
    Last edited by scolley; 10-14-2009 at 07:43 PM.
    Steve -
    Discus novice. Planted tank pilgrim.

Quote Originally Posted by GrillMaster View Post
    Whoa... big mistake!

I was shocked at the price, must have fumbled fingered the date on their webpage. 'Cuz their cheapest room on the 21st is unfortunately much more in line with what I would have expected - $139. Still a good price around here for that quality a place. But the 1st number was shocking. Too good to be true I guess.

Sorry about that. So, unless you want to spend that... if you need lodging, pls send me a PM about what direction you will be leaving, and I can check on hotels on that route. I know it seems goofy, but Connecticut is one of those states where people often you hear "Sorry. You can't get there from here." Sounds crazy But it's almost true. And driving 30 minutes away from my town (in some directions) can dramatically lower the cost of a room.

I got a PM from someone that is WAY north of my Connecticut. And honestly she could just as easily approach my place from the north, east, or west. Each route had it's advanges.

So, please just PM me the direction you'll be departing, and I'll see what we can find in that direction.
    Steve -

Wow Steve!!! I was bein sarcastic with the earlier post!! Thats pretty amazing they would up the charge to that extent for the same thing a week later...

I also wanted to ask if crock pot wings and a brisket were taken yet..If not mark me down for those. I will bring another lil side, just haven't decided what it is just yet. The goal here.... To have you and Maureen (or Maureen and yerself if proper etiquette is required ) do the least amount of work!
    Mark

Registered Member

I may make it up from Philly.
    Last edited by Todd N; 10-21-2009 at 04:01 AM.

OK, it’s starting to shape up. Cool! Keeping in mind that historically, I believe we always wind up with more than actually communicate that they are coming, I’ve got:

Planning on Coming
    brewmaster15
    mmorris
    Don in Virginia and son
    ashaysathe and friend
    GrillMaster

Possibly Coming
    2075turner
    mightymax860 and Carrie
    Todd N
    Subcooler
    runner

Moon – I’m sorry you can’t make it.
    subcooler – I’ll certainly be disappointed that you can’t make it. But I do understand busy schedules!
    GrillMaster – Wings and brisket sound outstanding! Thank you. But don’t work about our work. We’re taking care of that too! That’s why what does not get taken care of with your generous pot-luck offerings will be supplemented by catering. ;-) We’re planning on having a good time too!
    pcsb23 – It was a real pleasure to meet you at Mark’s big shindig this summer. Thank you for coming! And outside of it being so nice to meet you at last, your talk was REALLY informative and interesting. A real eye-opener. Thank you!

Apologies if I’ve stuck to just screen names above folks. Obviously I know most of you on a first name basis, but some not. And I don’t want go getting confuses about who does, or does not, use their real names on the forum, so I’m just sticking to screen names for broad communications.

Also, I realized that I should post a warning… animals DO live in this house! Got a massively fluffy Shetland Sheepdog, two cats, and a ferret. The rats are – unfortunately – recently deceased now. Bottom line, we’ll definitely be doing a massive de-hairing (imaging four people with sticky rollers, rolling ceilings, walls, floors, … ;-) ), but I’m sure that while we should be reasonably hair free, if you’ve got a bad dog or cat allergy, it could be an issue. Hope not.

Thanks for all the communications! Looking forward to it!
    Steve -

Real Name
    chandan sarkar

i live 20 minutes away so if i can get a hall pass from the boss, i would like to come. will know for sure in a couple of weeks. (have to wait for her to need something and then ...)

Registered Member

I am about 75% 25%. I am working out the details. I really want meet others with the same interest in fish and to learn about planting my tank.
    Last edited by Todd N; 10-22-2009 at 12:57 AM.

csarkar001, Todd N - If you can work it out... that'd be great! Just let me know, and hope to see you then. But if you don't know until the last minute - come anyway! It would be a great surprise.

Bottom line, we’ll definitely be doing a massive de-hairing (imaging four people with sticky rollers, rolling ceilings, walls, floors, … ;-) )...
    I thought about having said this later, and I hope I didn't scare anyone off. It's not as bad as I make it sound. Really. I was just joking. The only person that should even care is someone with a SERIOUS animal allergy. For anyone else it should be a non-issue.

Discus with Plants
    I really do not want to blow my own horn, particularly as many, many people's planted tanks are far lovelier than mine. But in the interest of show a bit of what we'll be discussion, including - how you can do this too, if you haven't already - here's some links to a few of my tank's past, all entries in the annual AGA Aquascaping Contest:

AGA 2005 - no discus
    AGA 2006 - discus
    AGA 2007 - discus, but pics taken with a crappy camera

That'll be the starting point for some of the discussion.
    Last edited by scolley; 10-22-2009 at 08:16 AM.
    Steve -

Discus with Plants
    I really do not want to blow my own horn, particularly as many, many people's planted tanks are far lovelier than mine. But in the interest of show a bit of what we'll be discussion, including - how you can do this too, if you haven't already - here's some links to a few of my tank's past, all entries in the annual AGA Aquascaping Contest:
    Steve is too humble... We have among us on this forum some individuals that have been very successful at merging planted tanks and Discus... I have seen what Steve has accomplished and talked with him at length about it.. This is someone with a wealth of knowledge and experience on the subject...I highly encourage people to attend!

-al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    chandan sarkar

Question Re: Northeast Discus Meeting..Fall 2009

Al:

are you going to bring any beefheart. i'm almost finished with the 2 lbs i bought from you a few months back.

chandan

Real Name
    chandan sarkar

Exclamation Re: Northeast Discus Meeting..Fall 2009

Oh my god! how many hours per week is a tank like this?

Discus with Plants

AGA 2005 - no discus
    AGA 2006 - discus
    AGA 2007 - discus, but pics taken with a crappy camera

That'll be the starting point for some of the discussion.

Hi Chandan,

I'll bring Beefheart mix for anyone that lets me know ahead of time...give me at least a week in case I get jammed here.

Thanks,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Quote Originally Posted by csarkar001 View Post
    Oh my god! how many hours per week is a tank like this?
    A lot.

But high maintenance is not the only route. I just went a period of EXACTLY six months without touching my planted discus tank other than dropping food in for the fish. Other than than that - nothing - no filter cleaning, no equipment maintenance, no plant trimming, CO2 refilling - absolutely nothing for six long months. Sounds hard to believe, but I'd swear it on my mother's grave. Since then I've spent 2 hours trimming dead leaves and cleaning a little GSA off the tank walls, and then another 2 hours planting a few new plants so it won't look like total crap when you guys get here.

It does not look as nice as those picture. But honestly, IMO it looks pretty d*mn good for a tank that's gotten 4 hours maintenance in 6 months.

You can be the judge. I think the comparison between this - and those high maintenance pics - will be interesting.
    Steve -

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast