ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spitting Discus

Registered Member

Default Spitting Discus

This is a first for me.

Have any of you every had your Discus "spit" at you? One of my Discus has taken to spitting water from its mouth from the top of the tank right at me. Must have traveled 4 feet in a dense stream. Part of my arm got wet. And I mean annoyingly wet, like I have to go get a towel.

I feed my discus from the back of my aquarium. The glass is painted black - so the fish only know I am there when they see me walk around the aquarium - they know it's feeding time. I climb a small ladder (500g aquarium) and when I opened the top glass pane in the center - the Discus are already converging in anticipation of food.

This one Discus - came up out of the water and the bugger squirted me. I have never experienced this!! I have had fish splash at the surface with their fins, I have had jumpers. I have never had a fish spit water at me.

Once I fed them - down they went chasing after the food.

Interesting fish - these Discus (I am brand new to Discus).

Default Re: Spitting Discus

Maybe he's sending you a message to feed him faster...either way, that's one ballsy fish.

Gold Member

Yeah, I've had a few really bold ones go right up to the top and spit at me when they see food coming from up top, lol! It's quite fun to see but yeah, sometimes they make a mess and I have to wipe with towel, lol.
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

Registered Member Cooldadddyfunk286's Avatar

WHAAAT! LOL. I didnt know they did this! haha, hey scuba guy, lets see some updated pics of that beautiful tank!
    -Jason-
    -------------------------

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spardas View Post
    Yeah, I've had a few really bold ones go right up to the top and spit at me when they see food coming from up top, lol! It's quite fun to see but yeah, sometimes they make a mess and I have to wipe with towel, lol.
    ... so I am not the only one !! bizarre. I thought Discus were boring beautiful fish. All they do is line up and stare at you. But that's in tight quarters in bare bottom tanks. Give them a biotope and lots of room and they are nasty.

They spit at you.

Registered Member Peachtree Discus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by exv152 View Post
    Maybe he's sending you a message to feed him faster...
    or maybe a natural instinct......like, he's trying to knock you off the leaf (ladder) and into the water for real nice meal. Seriously, ive never seen them spit. When I've gotten wet, I always assumed a fish broke the surface because it was spooked. I would love to see it tho.
    Wes (FishFlakes)
    "Lifes a game but its not fair, I break the rules so I dont care,
    ...so I keep doin my own thing - walkin tall against the rain"

Registered Member DiscusKeeper403's Avatar

Are you sure your Discus isn't an Archer fish?
    Take care,

Connor

Registered Member

Funny. I have never seen that.
    Scott

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cooldadddyfunk286 View Post
    WHAAAT! LOL. I didnt know they did this! haha, hey scuba guy, lets see some updated pics of that beautiful tank!
    It's not quite 'clear' yet - but definitely improving. I have to keep growing plants to compete with the single celled algae in the water. It's working.

Soon - more pics.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Peachtree Discus View Post
    or maybe a natural instinct......like, he's trying to knock you off the leaf (ladder) and into the water for real nice meal. Seriously, ive never seen them spit. When I've gotten wet, I always assumed a fish broke the surface because it was spooked. I would love to see it tho.
    This one SPIT. It came to the surface. Circled - came back...and then rose up out of the water nose first and SPIT! I actually saw it open its mouth and shoot water.

Gold Member

YESSSS! OMG, 2 of my red melons does the exact same thing. I think they're crossed with archer fish or was an archer fish in their previous life, lololol.
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

LMAO!!! I have never seen a Discus spit that would be awesome!!

Kinda OT but I have a huge saltwater clam that of course when I bought it and shipped to me I was workin out of town. The wife did all the dirty work and got them acclimated and whatnot. When she picked it up it spit water all over her.....I guess her face was wet as well as her hair,shot water over 6 feet. She said it was almost like she took a shower. I guess there was an air bubble in him and to get rid of it they spit. Maybe the same with Discus? Who knows.

That's funny - never seen that! Would like to, though
    Cheers
    Robyn

Real Name
    Chris

ROFLMAO! I guess that you got his order wrong and he wanted to send it back.

Chris
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."~ Mahatma Gandhi

Registered Member

What I think happened - is the fish broke the water surface nose first in a power run (like a dolphin leaping), and as it broke the surface it shut its gill plates fast which created the back pressure. And since expecting food - it opened its mouth out of the water and out came a stream that shot over 4 feet. It was fast, it was wet and it was wild.

Hasn't happened since - but I feed off axis now (i.e. keep my arm stretched - because I don't like getting shot at with water).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast