AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Frayed Fins

Default Re: Frayed Fins

It does seem strange, but mineral deficiency cannot be an issue with mine. all of my fish were raised by me and have been in hard water with vitamin supplements since the beginning. I wonder if it's too many minerals? I took a look at most of my discus the other night and noticed that quite a few of them are like this. Never really noticed before. Even the contest fish exhibit this. Weird.

Best wishes!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Hughes View Post
    It does seem strange, but mineral deficiency cannot be an issue with mine. all of my fish were raised by me and have been in hard water with vitamin supplements since the beginning. I wonder if it's too many minerals? I took a look at most of my discus the other night and noticed that quite a few of them are like this. Never really noticed before. Even the contest fish exhibit this. Weird.

Best wishes!
    But how do you know that the fish are getting all those vitamins/minerals. What if....just what if, there are internal worms in those particular fish that are robbing them of nutrients. This is just a thought but for some to have it and some not. Same water, same diet. It doesn't point to genetics really either.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    But how do you know that the fish are getting all those vitamins/minerals. What if....just what if, there are internal worms in those particular fish that are robbing them of nutrients. This is just a thought but for some to have it and some not. Same water, same diet. It doesn't point to genetics really either.

Eddie
    Actually I thought it might have more to do with genetics for that very reason. If the fish are in the same water with the same diet, why wouldn't they all be the same? Genetics? I guess at this point it's a toss up. I guess worms could have an impact. I typically don't deworm without reason.

Great thoughts!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Actually I thought it might have more to do with genetics for that very reason. If the fish are in the same water with the same diet, why wouldn't they all be the same? Genetics? I guess at this point it's a toss up. I guess worms could have an impact. I typically don't deworm without reason.

Great thoughts!
    But we could check with the Breeder, I guarantee there are no fish with those type of fins from the same stock.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

But we could check with the Breeder, I guarantee there are no fish with those type of fins from the same stock.

Eddie
    I have seen fin genetics amongst fish from the same spawn vary widely. It's not entirely uncommon for some fish in the same spawn to show perfect finnage and others to have not so perfect finnage. That's kind of why I feel it's a genetics thing. Same goes for coloration, etc. Body patterns are not identical, shape is not identical, etc. Just like people, only a human couple can only produce one at a time (well, sometimes more).

I hear what you are saying Eddie. Just not sure if I agree 100%. Good info though!

Best wishes!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I have seen fin genetics amongst fish from the same spawn vary widely. It's not entirely uncommon for some fish in the same spawn to show perfect finnage and others to have not so perfect finnage. That's kind of why I feel it's a genetics thing. Same goes for coloration, etc. Body patterns are not identical, shape is not identical, etc. Just like people, only a human couple can only produce one at a time (well, sometimes more).

I hear what you are saying Eddie. Just not sure if I agree 100%. Good info though!

Best wishes!
    No worries Chad....

I guess I must have been lucky to never have gotten any with that issue. There are lots of posts on fish with these same fin issues here on Simply. I will dig around on it and see what could be the cause.

Do you add calcium to your food Chad? If so, what form?

I know Jason mentioned vitamin flake but that may not be providing sufficient calcium.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

From a few of the experts, Carol and Cary Strong

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...ht=jagged+fins

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

From a few of the experts, Carol and Cary Strong

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...ht=jagged+fins

Eddie
    Eddie,

Based on that post, we are talking about two different areas of the fin. I thought we were speaking of the Spinous Dorsal fin. That is where I see the "mowhawk" effect. Are we on two different pages? I certainly agree that any tearing of the soft dorsal finnage, caudal, anal or pectoral fin would definately point to issues with water or nutrition.

I have not observed this type of fin damage in normal, healthy fish. I see Al has done some reconstructive surgery on some wilds. Check out this link! I would have done the same thing. This fish looks crazy!

Best wishes!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Eddie,

Based on that post, we are talking about two different areas of the fin. I thought we were speaking of the Spinous Dorsal fin. That is where I see the "mowhawk" effect. Are we on two different pages? I certainly agree that any tearing of the soft dorsal finnage, caudal, anal or pectoral fin would definately point to issues with water or nutrition.

I have not observed this type of fin damage in normal, healthy fish. I see Al has done some reconstructive surgery on some wilds. Check out this link! I would have done the same thing. This fish looks crazy!

Best wishes!
    Definitely seen Al's heckel haircut post, long time ago. That was definitely different than this case. It is the fins proceeding the hard rays that are spiked and webbed. Check out Steve's post, same thing, those are the edges of the soft rays. The fins developed into that deformation. As Cary mentioned, it is can probably be fixed by cutting the fins just before the splitting but the water conditions would need to be changed for proper regrowth.

Eddie

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

Definitely seen Al's heckel haircut post, long time ago. That was definitely different than this case. It is the fins proceeding the hard rays that are spiked and webbed. Check out Steve's post, same thing, those are the edges of the soft rays. The fins developed into that deformation. As Cary mentioned, it is can probably be fixed by cutting the fins just before the splitting but the water conditions would need to be changed for proper regrowth.

Eddie

Eddie
    I tried to see the pic that Steve posted, but can't see it at work.

Since the tearing is post Spinous fins, it could be just as you suggested, dietary or water quality. I guess I may have been on the wrong page. LOL! Sorry about that.

Best wishes!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I tried to see the pic that Steve posted, but can't see it at work.

Since the tearing is post Spinous fins, it could be just as you suggested, dietary or water quality. I guess I may have been on the wrong page. LOL! Sorry about that.

Best wishes!
    No worries, give it look when you get a chance. You'll see what I'm talking about. The hard rays are perfect but all the soft rays of the dorsal and anal fins are webbed and jagged.

Take care,

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

No worries, give it look when you get a chance. You'll see what I'm talking about. The hard rays are perfect but all the soft rays of the dorsal and anal fins are webbed and jagged.

Take care,

Eddie
    Got it. I see your point. I wouldn't say this is genetic.

Best wishes!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Let's not forget possible external parasite/bacterial problems as a cause.

Quote Originally Posted by mmorris View Post
    Let's not forget possible external parasite/bacterial problems as a cause.
    Typically fin erosion from parasite/bacteria are not expressed in this manner. Also, for the length of time this has been displayed in Jason's fish and Steve's fish, the issue would have gotten very severe in a short period of time. As Cary Strong outlined, more of a water issue.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

I think it 's a possible that old damage from parasites/bacteria didn't heal up properly. I personally have experience of this.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast