AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Frayed Fins

Default Re: Frayed Fins

Quote Originally Posted by mmorris View Post
    I think it 's a possible that old damage from parasites/bacteria didn't heal up properly. I personally have experience of this.
    So what did you do to fix it? Would be good for the OP who is dealing with the issue at the moment.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

The discus came to me parasite-ridden and soon had damage to the dorsal and ventral fins. Once the parasites/possible bacteria were eliminated the fins healed but only up to a point. I cut back the damaged bits when it was clear that the fins were not going to grow in further. The re-growth was rapid. While it is possible that there is another explanation for the fin damage, it wasn't genetics, nutrient deficiency or internal parasite. I have no reason to think my water was an issue.

The discus came to me parasite-ridden and soon had damage to the dorsal and ventral fins. Once the parasites/possible bacteria were eliminated the fins healed but only up to a point. I cut back the damaged bits when it was clear that the fins were not going to grow in further. The re-growth was rapid. While it is possible that there is another explanation for the fin damage, it wasn't genetics, nutrient deficiency or internal parasite. I have no reason to think my water was an issue.
    Ah, but the fish came to you in that manner. Jason's and Steve's developed into this. Although not a bad idea to cut the fins, I am pretty definite that the fins will again fall back to this pattern or generation. Your fish was placed into a new environment with different water chemistry. It would be interesting to follow the thread if the individuals cut the fins and go from there. Still going along the lines that water is the ultimate culprit. Good info

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Ah, but the fish came to you in that manner.
    Eddie
    Please re-read my post Eddie.

Please re-read my post Eddie.
    So you scoped the fish or you removed the parasite/bacteria altogether? This is virtually impossible but I will take your word for it.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

Registered Member Cooldadddyfunk286's Avatar

dang, I havnt looked at this post in a while, then BAM...a ton of posts LOL. I agree with what everyone is saying, its all very logical.

Im just literally afraid of cutting the fins. If I were to slip/fish flail around, hit the floor...ANYTHING could happen. Iv never handled a discus in this manner before. even afraid to take them out to get an accurate measurement. I have just heard too many horror stories of ppl removing the fish from the water, and it just going down hill...now to add a pair of scissors into the mix, and have the fish stay still, out of water?!?! it just makes me nervous TALKING about it LOL!

Iv only been keeping discus now just under a year, I can understand how its no biggie for some of you seasoned vets, but in my eyes, and with my luck its an accident waiting to happen. If I could, I would like to fix this problem without having to touch the fish, especially CUT the fish. if not....then ehh, they are still big, lively and beautiful fish. I wouldnt wanna risk any slip ups just to fix the jagged fins, Id rather have a healthy, happy, well growing fish with some spikey fins. maybe Im just a sissy LOL. we'll see.

...or maybe on the other hand, I cut 1 fish, do a good job, and its a cake walk from there! LOL...Im still gonna need more convincing! LOL

thanks alot you guys for all the info, take care!
    Last edited by Cooldadddyfunk286; 10-15-2009 at 01:10 PM.
    -Jason-
    -------------------------

Easy as pie Jason, done it a million times. Sharp scissors, some alcohol to clean the scissors and I actually use bio-bandage on the edge where I cut. I leave it for about 10-15 seconds and plop the fish back in. Rough handling the fish can cause problems but just be delicate, try to let the fish flounder around. I find that covering the face/eyes with the net (I use a fine net) the fish will lay pretty still. Let me know when you plan on doing it if you do decide and I'll walk you through it.

Take care bro,

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

sounds like a plan Eddie, Ill PM you when ready thanks bro
    -Jason-

Quote Originally Posted by tcyiu View Post
    Maybe it's a matter of taste, but I think those discus look edgy. Kinda cool. Definitely not traditional.

I definitely second what mmorris said. Don't cut the hard rays.

Tim

Thanks exactly what I was thinking. I like the look.

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Hughes View Post
    Eddie,

Based on that post, we are talking about two different areas of the fin. I thought we were speaking of the Spinous Dorsal fin. That is where I see the "mowhawk" effect. Are we on two different pages? I certainly agree that any tearing of the soft dorsal finnage, caudal, anal or pectoral fin would definately point to issues with water or nutrition.

I have not observed this type of fin damage in normal, healthy fish. I see Al has done some reconstructive surgery on some wilds. Check out this link! I would have done the same thing. This fish looks crazy!

Best wishes!
    that heckel haircut link...thats EXACTLY what my albinos frayed fins look like....basically just like that! it may be time for a haircut in the near future.
    -Jason-

I thinking this may be bacterial...its now showing up on my wayne blue tank, they never showed frayed fins untill I got them in that tank, and started using the python on all 3 of my discus tanks. thats my hypothesis anyway. any imput??

thanks!!
    -Jason-

Registered Member Elite Aquaria's Avatar

Jason,

I am sure it is bacterial...I have never seen this on any of the Wayne fish that I have had over the past few years.

Jason, you can try bacterial meds but I am still going with water as Cary explained in the link I posted. I have received fish several times with the fins formed in this manner. I cut those fins and they grew back evenly, all uniform. I never used an antibiotics. Now....I could have cut off the bacteria but I have always seen this be contributed to water composition.

Do a test on one fish before treating the entire tank with antibiotics. I wish there was a way to isolate one fish, cut the fins (only soft rays) and treat with antibiotics. All bacterial medications affect nitrification (kill nitrifiers) so they should never be used in a established aquarium. Always use them in a hospital tank if need be.

Really difficult decision but I for one, would like you to get this worked out. The fish are all healthy but the fins are so tattered.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

Real Name
    Rod Lewis

I'll put my money on Martha and Dan's post. Bacterial!

Jason, if you decide to treat the whole group, get some info on what to use. You will definitely need to trim the fins down to the point where they are split. They will not mend together but can regrow uniformly. If you cut the fins, run a treatment and it returns, well....you'll have your answer.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast