ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Frayed Fins

Registered Member Cooldadddyfunk286's Avatar

Default Re: Frayed Fins

EDDIE! didnt you read all of my post!! I nabbed that little piece with my fingers right after I took those pics. good as new ...man I cant wait for this guy to grow back! the other ARGD I cut, the color is alrdy coming back into the new growth. good news! thanks guys!
    -Jason-
    -------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Cooldadddyfunk286 View Post
    EDDIE! didnt you read all of my post!! I nabbed that little piece with my fingers right after I took those pics. good as new ...man I cant wait for this guy to grow back! the other ARGD I cut, the color is alrdy coming back into the new growth. good news! thanks guys!
    Sounds good Jason....now CHOP CHOP!! LOL

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Registered Member

Great job on that discus do. Maybe you could help mine. It has a bad combover.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Scott

Scott, that pic has my laughin my a$$ off! ...I think something can be done...maybe high and tight? LOL

take care buddy.
    -Jason-

Haha that pic is hilarious
    Tom
    ----------------------
    75 DT (couple angels and some loaches for now); 30 Gal Peacock Mantis/Reef Habitat;

Quote Originally Posted by Cooldadddyfunk286 View Post
    hey guys! a good portion of my discus seem to have frayed fins. especially the albino tank. only 2 out of the 7 albino in there do NOT have frayed fins. its not the type where it heals up, they just seem to be frayed/split and stay that way. Im wondering what causes this? Its even happened to my blue scorpion lately. its happened before and healed up...but its just very unattractive to me. I like smooth flowing anal and dorsal fins. if its due to water quality, I can probably understand that because the albino tanks filters are in desperate need of a cleaning, but I do large daily-every other day WCs....but I know if the filters are dirty, that wont do much good. but like I said, its happened on the BS, and even a bit on the pigeon. it really bothers me you guys! I know I can do the andrew soh method and cut the fins, but I mean...that seems really risky/hard to do. I feel like I would F up royally if I tried to cut all their fins.
    any ideas? could it be something about the water? or diet? maybe its just dirty filters that I need to keep cleaner?
    Is your water alkaline, and have you tested frequently for ammonia?

it is alkaline and I do test, no ammonia over here.
    -Jason-

Sometimes you can get ammonia burn on fins, and when the water is alkaline, the ammonia is a lot more toxic to the fish. Ammonia does exist in every tank whether we can see it on a test kit or not, and from personal experience, if you have alkaline water plus a larger than usual fishload, the fish may get fin burn from the small amount of ammonia. I see this often in my angelfish and rams.

I hear ya bud, but this isnt fin burn Im dealin with, its something else. most likely a vitamin/mineral dificiency in my water. fin burn grows back, this doesnt grow back untill I cut off the damaged areas and new growth comes in. and my tanks arent overloaded.

good point tho.

take care!
    -Jason-

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345