AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Venison?

Real Name
    Matt

Default Venison?

Searched a bit and it seemed to be a viable option for food. Anyone with any recent or more updated experiments with it? How do the fish like it? Easy working with it? What parts do you use and is it easier to clean then beefheart? Also what about Wild Boar meat? Just brainstorming here really, and i'd expect the boar to be much more fatty then deer meat or a deer heart, but i'm not sure honestly.

Would you be worried about any type of wild parasite in the meat from the "wild"? I know stuff can get transferred to dogs who eat venison, but what about fish? Freezing should get rid of this correct?

Very amateur hunter myself, but my Uncle works for the NWTF and is constantly hunting, might have access to some parts that don't always get consumed like the heart. Or even extra meat.
    -Matt

Registered Member

Default Re: Venison?

One of the posters here mentions using venison hearts w/o problems. I certainly can't see why there would be any issues w/ them, or elk, buffalo, pronghorn hearts. Prep would be about the same as for beefheart, I suspect.

Heart is the lowest fat of any cut of meat, and also one of the cheapest, but I wouldn't have any qualms about blending in any other really lean cuts into a batch of beefheart mix...

That's just me, relatively inexperienced.... maybe others will chime in...

Real Name
    Francis

I assume beef hearts/pork hearts are usually available at supermarkets...Venison can describe meat of any mammal killed by hunting so if you are avid hunter you can use deer/moorse/bear/etc...a heart is a heart...just my 2 cents.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by seanyuki View Post
    Venison can describe meat of any mammal killed by hunting ...
    To me, it means Bambi.

LOL

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

Tim

Francis nailed it a heart is a heart.Iv used deer,elk,moose and beef cant tell the difference. Tuck

Real Name
    Matt

Thanks. I figured as much for the heart, but I was thinking more of leftover meat, and i originally meant deer . I guess as long as the fat is cut out the meat should be good?
    -Matt

Banned

Smile Re: Venison?

Matt,

It is recommended by people who make a living studying fish nutrition that mammal meat is not a good choice for fish food. Heart meat is suggested if you must feed mammalian meat. Skeletal muscle will contain excessive fat, which discus cannot digest, leading to health problems somewhere down the lifespan of your fish.

Beef and pig heart are the two most used in discus food. Deer of various species and buffalo hearts are used by some, while goat and sheep hearts are said to be too greasy by those who have tried them.

Mat

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Discus-n00b View Post
    Thanks. I figured as much for the heart, but I was thinking more of leftover meat, and i originally meant deer . I guess as long as the fat is cut out the meat should be good?
    Don't forget the "marbling" of fat in most tissue. And by its nature, it can't be cut out. I guess that is why heart is used. It has no marbling.

Tim

Real Name
    Matt

Thanks, makes sense.
    -Matt