ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: New Copper Pipes

Registered Member

Default New Copper Pipes

I normally use the faucet that is next to my room to do my WC's but since we are remodeling our kitchen they relocated the exhaust and needed to relocate some of the pipes which lead to this faucet. Ever since they replaced the pipes i have noticed a cement/chalk smell and a slight grease layer or something like that on the top to the water. The problem is with these new copper pipes and the smell they produce i haven't been able to do a water change using that faucet. I don't have any other faucet other than the ones downstairs and in my parents room which is upstairs but their water comes out with a different feel so i'm not using that. Its already bad enough that I'm using 5 gallon bucket for my WC's and i don't want to have to add the stairs into the equation.

How long do i need to wait before i can use the water again coming through the new pipes? wait until the smell is gone? The new pipes were installed on thursday.
    Joe

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: New Copper Pipes

Quote Originally Posted by j_li8 View Post
    I normally use the faucet that is next to my room to do my WC's but since we are remodeling our kitchen they relocated the exhaust and needed to relocate some of the pipes which lead to this faucet. Ever since they replaced the pipes i have noticed a cement/chalk smell and a slight grease layer or something like that on the top to the water. The problem is with these new copper pipes and the smell they produce i haven't been able to do a water change using that faucet. I don't have any other faucet other than the ones downstairs and in my parents room which is upstairs but their water comes out with a different feel so i'm not using that. Its already bad enough that I'm using 5 gallon bucket for my WC's and i don't want to have to add the stairs into the equation.

How long do i need to wait before i can use the water again coming through the new pipes? wait until the smell is gone? The new pipes were installed on thursday.
    not really sure i can help you but i will tell you this, if you feel like the water is compromised, do not use it. it is only in this one faucet correct? if so, then you will probably have to wait it out or something. sorry if i have not been any help at all

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member

yeah its just to the two sinks next to my room. all of the others are fine. ive been holding off on the WC's as much as i can and and reduced feedings. carrying those 5gal buckets up the stairs is too much stress on my back. im young but not that young haha.
    Last edited by j_li8; 10-25-2009 at 10:44 PM.
    Joe

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by j_li8 View Post
    yeah its just to the two sinks next to my room. all of the others are fine. ive been holding off on the WC's as muchas i can and and reduced feedings. carrying those 5gal buckets up the stairs is too much stress on my back. im young but not that young haha.
    i feel you my friend. do you have anything to test the water with? if it visibly doesn't look like good water then plain out don't use it.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member

other than pH i do not. I'm almost 100% sure its from the pipes and i will have to wait it out as the water from the faucet downstairs is fine.
    Joe

Registered Member

For keeping discus you should have PH,Ammoia,Nitrite and Nitrate test kits as a minimum. It would be good if you also had KH,DH, and in your case copper kits also.
    It is Likely that when they soldered the copper pipes some of the flux got inside the pipes. Eventualy this will disapear. How long will it take? I don't know. The more water you use from that pipe the faster it will remove whatever it is. All IMO; Don T.

Registered Member

Thanks Don.
    I've been looking at getting a set to use but just never seem to actually buy it. lol. I spoke to the contractor and he said that it should disappear in about a week or 2 so i will continue to carry those 5 gallon buckets up the stairs for another 2 week.
    Joe

Hi, Joe,

As a construction worker (and discus lover), I've put in lots of copper pipe myself. Basically, when you put in new pipe, you're putting flux and silver solder in the joints of the pipes (hopefully no more lead!), and then any manufacturing resins or oils on the inside of the copper pipe, which really shouldn't be much.

Have you run the water for about a half hour through those new pipes?

It really shouldn't be a problem after awhile, I have certainly exposed my fish to lots of water through new copper pipes.

I'd say, better to let your fish take the risk than your back! Just my 2 cents.

-Don

Registered Member

i agree with Don being a plumber myself new copper is common for me, except when i replaced the stuff going to the tap i use i was extra careful i will say though you should not have a problem, any flux should wash out in the first day or two, before you do your next WC you should run the tap for at least ten min, it doesnt have to be full out, about half way is good. you should be ok then, the solder they use nowadays is very safe, you'll get a little bit of a copper smell sometimes but nothing that will harm the fish.. this is just IMO, as i cant see what the water actually looks like but if it were my fish and i was getting a little bit of a film i would just run the water for a bit pre WC and then i know i wouldnt have a problem.

Registered Member

Thanks guys. Good to know from those who both work with copper pipes and own discus. Water has run through the pipes for at least that amount of time in total. The smell seems to have decreased as the days pass but still detectable. As long as it is all safe then I will use the water comming through those pipes. I think i will do a smaller WC and keep an eye on them for any signs of stress or anything out of the ordinary.
    Joe