ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DISCUS CHICAGO??????

Real Name
    Brian

Default DISCUS CHICAGO??????

Anyone know of any Discus clubs in Chicago? Or in Il or the burbs? Its a big city and I think if there isnt that we should start one up!
    "Play Like A Champion Today"
    150 Show Tank
    55 gallon
    40 gallon

Registered Member

Default Re: DISCUS CHICAGO??????

No clubs that I know of. A few get togethers here and there, but nothing official. Would be nice tho. I always wished there was one, and figure a big city like Chicago would have one...Bill

Registered Member

Ditto. For a couple years Larry Forbes [aka Polar Bear] and I put on 2-3 x year informal meet ups at Old Orchard Aquarium in Skokie, right off of 94 after hours and usually had 15-25 people showing up. Nice meetings, folks came from all over the Chicagoland area and WI.
    OOA is totally open to having any fish or plant clubs or groups meet at their store, no strings attached, usually Friday or Sat after closing.
    Best regards,
    Harriett
    [In Evanston]

Registered Member

Harriet, would you and Larry be up to coordinating another event? I'm in Milwaukee and would be interested in meeting more Discus folks. Maybe we could have a speaker and a mini auction?

Derrick

Real Name
    Brian

I agree! We should get the ball rolling on this . I have only met a couple of people. It would be great to get everyone together.It seems like the east coast has it together, we should do the same!

Brian
    150 Show Tank
    55 gallon
    40 gallon

if you want to get a local club going you can use my site localfishbreeders.com for it. I launched it a couple of weeks ago but there are almost 40 people registered. Bill, are you the same Bill we just got rosy reds from today?

Registered Member

Was it a short bald guy?...Then that was me!....Is this you Lance or Mo?...Bill

haha yeah, check out the site man. You can advertise your fish there too.

Registered Member

I would be glad to HELP, but not do the whole deal. I can ask LArry if he would be interested in coming, and in helping.
    I am sure Joe {Squiggy} will come too.
    I can go talk to the owners at the store.
    I am going to be out of town from 11/11 to 11/18, can probably stop in there before I go. We need to agree on a date or two to ask for--Friday or Saturday evening. Store closes at 6 or 7.
    In the past we have brought refreshments,etc. and perhaps folks would want to volunteer to bring stuff?
    In terms of a speaker, what are you thinking? Anyone reading this want to volunteer themsleves to do a talk?
    The store has not had a problem with us trading or selling each other fish and plants etc but have concerns that there are no open bags that could bring in potential airborne problems for their stock...and so on.
    OK?
    Feedback? Ardan, would you come down for this? I haven't seen you in forever!
    My best regards,
    Harriett

Registered Member

Maybe one of the Simply sponsors from the Chicago area would be willing to speak (looks like there are a few)? If we can get a good group together, perhaps Cary, Jack, or Hans would want in? Sure would be great to have a local Discus event.

Derrick

Registered Member

Speakers are great...but even for the "real" aquarium clubs in the area, they are hard to come by. It would be nice to have one, but I am sure if we can"t get one, together, we would have a good time and all have plenty to talk about anyway. Try and keep it simple, and we can all see where it goes from there. Clubs are not easy. It's work. I belonged to a few in my early days, that sadly just disintergrated. This happens. I would happily volunteer for this meeting...just let me know what I need to do...Bill

You really dont need anything special...Just get everyone together in the area and have a lil pot luck dinner... Everyone just bring a lil dish. The meet an greet is the best! You can match the faces with the names, talk Discus and have a great time!!

Best of luck to you guys an gals!

tc
    Mark

Registered Member

I agree Mark!...Bill

Real Name
    Brian

Im in for sure! let me know what I can do as well to help out.
    150 Show Tank
    55 gallon
    40 gallon

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by William Palumbo View Post
    Speakers are great...but even for the "real" aquarium clubs in the area, they are hard to come by. It would be nice to have one, but I am sure if we can"t get one, together, we would have a good time and all have plenty to talk about anyway. Try and keep it simple, and we can all see where it goes from there. Clubs are not easy. It's work. I belonged to a few in my early days, that sadly just disintergrated. This happens. I would happily volunteer for this meeting...just let me know what I need to do...Bill
    I completely agree.
    Also, to 'import' a speaker, said speaker my be transported, put up at a hotel, fed, and I assume paid for their time!
    We can do a mom and pop meeting with some volunteers, but there are few nickels in my pockets and they aren't available for speakers--that's the reality. That's my economy!
    Best regards,
    Harriett

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast