AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Flukes and Fry

Default Re: Flukes and Fry

Wow, I was offline for a day amd boy check out this thread!!! I am thrilled to have so much information and advice!

Don't know where to start...OK I have fry attaching to Mum and Dad...can you see them in the picture? Yeah I know its hard they are tiny but I am soooooo excited!

So I should still wc - ok I can handle that I guess I can wipe down the glass too - carefully! So this is Day 1 - anything else I should be doing now?

Rod I have printed out your instructions but I might send a pm of thats ok.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cheers Kath

Nice Kath, thats great news! Them 2 buggers are naturals.

All the best!

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Nice Kath, thats great news! Them 2 buggers are naturals.

All the best!

Eddie
    Thanks Eddie

Gosh they are so good ATM very attentive! I am jumping out if my skin with happiness they are sooooo beautiful, I am truly blessed.
    Cheers Kath

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wild View Post
    Thanks Eddie

Gosh they are so good ATM very attentive! I am jumping out if my skin with happiness they are sooooo beautiful, I am truly blessed.
    I am very happy for you too, its like no other experience IMO!

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

Congratulations Kath! Keep up with the wc's and read, read, read!

Congratulations Kath,

If you dont feed them then there is no reason to change the water. Are the parents and fry by themselves?

Ed
    "There was no spoon"

Regarding syphon and fry i remember an article years ago and if i remember correctly,the guy used a disposable bic razor with the blade removed and the tube inserted,think it was in the handle?

Quote Originally Posted by mmorris View Post
    Congratulations Kath! Keep up with the wc's and read, read, read!
    Thanks Martha will do!

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyDiscus View Post
    Congratulations Kath,

If you dont feed them then there is no reason to change the water. Are the parents and fry by themselves?

Ed
    Perhaps I should have read this sooner, after their wc today I cleaned all the sides and bottom with some filter foam and since then Dad looks to be eating the fry. I have come home to only 6 fry in the tank and Dad on the hunt.

Perhaps I should just leave them alone until they are firmly on their backs?
    I have done wc each day even through hatching and that never worried them but I have not cleaned down the glass at all I think that is what did it - got too close.

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyes View Post
    Regarding syphon and fry i remember an article years ago and if i remember correctly,the guy used a disposable bic razor with the blade removed and the tube inserted,think it was in the handle?
    That would be a little home jobby, could even work!

Too sad to try now though will have to wait for the next batch.

Ahhhhh
    Cheers Kath

Sorry to hear Kath... From the sounds of them 2 you got, they will be at it again in no time. All the best of luck on the next round!

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

Real Name
    Chris

Sorry to hear about the lost fry Kath. They are a beautiful pair. Best of luck with the next spawn.

Chris
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."~ Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Sorry to hear Kath... From the sounds of them 2 you got, they will be at it again in no time. All the best of luck on the next round!

Eddie
    Thanks Eddie, the ball is in your court now mate! I was thinking of pulling the male and letting the female raise the 6 she had left but honestly I thought it better for them to have another spawn and I will see what I do next.

Quote Originally Posted by Scribbles View Post
    Sorry to hear about the lost fry Kath. They are a beautiful pair. Best of luck with the next spawn.

Chris
    Thanks Chris
    Yes they are a beautiful pair now I just need to get them through this hurdle, I usually use a scourer on the end of a handle type cleaner but this time I thought the pad would give a better clean, maybe he didn''t like that!

I have learnt see what happens next!
    Thank you both for your kind words of encouragement, it is always nice to hear when you are a bit down it picks you up. Many thanks!
    Cheers Kath

I can count about 20 fry around the place near Mum and Dad and some not so close, I will leave them alone and see where this takes us....mmmmmmm there's that word again ...patience!
    Cheers Kath

Registered Member

Congrats Kath!!!

Sounds familiar with dad "eating" wigglers. I have seen something similar in one of the first spawns that made it to wigglers. Dad picked up a whole bunch of fry and it looked like he ate them. Later on I discovered he didn't and just collected them and kept them in his mouth. Sometimes it took over 5 minutes for him to spit them out. I think they also clean the fry in the mouth.

When the fry become free swimming they can be all over the tank. My tanks do have black silicone and they are attracted to it. If the tiny creatures are on the silicone they are very hard to detect. So you might have more fry as you expected.

By the way,....I have a bunch of fry as well with one of my pairs. Most of them just became free swimming. I have know idea how many fry I have but I estimate somewhere around 40 to 50,....a small spawn. I turned the filter of and tomorrow when all fry are attached to mom and dad I will put the sponge filter back on with a very low flow (only to get some minor surface agitation). I lowered the water height to 9 inch and half of the fry are already attached to mom and dad.

I want to thank everyone for the all the info on medication and cleaning and special thanks to Kayce and Rod. Hopefully I become good at herding fry and I get the chance to raise this batch and deal with the 4 week syndrome.

Hi Kathy,
    I do daily wc's throughout the entire spawning process w/out problems (usually). Cleaning the sides may have triggered the fry eating or it may have happened anyways. If you know Dad is the culprit you might want to remove him. If this spawn doesn't work out, you're definitley moving in the right direction so next one will go better. We learn something about breeding and about the particular pair every time they try.

Dutch Dude,
    Glad to be of help. Sounds like things are going well for you now.

Kacey

Registered Member

Kacey,....yes things look good right now. Two posebileties for that,.....smaller (10% to 15%) every day during egg and wiggler stage in stead of 50% to 70% wc. The second reason might be a worm and paresite treatment I finished a week ago. I suspect the wc's during egg and wiggler stage to make the diference.

Breeding can be frustrating when you have eggs or wigglers every week and loos them just before or during free swimming. I hope I get the chance to test out the acriflavine

Ruurd

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast