AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Thread: Wild Xingús

Default Re: Wild Xingús

Hi albert,
    we are planning to sell small ones, but only in the future. unfortunately there is no available stock now. im buliding my fishroom this year, and after i will have enough place, start to raise frys saling.

KisA
    The Xinguary

there is some changes in the bottom tank.
    the fish begin to swim as a school of fish, and stop to spawning continously.

The small ones in the upper showing tank are growing well. 5,5-7cm is the common sized, and they are 3,5 months old now.

picture will be added soon.

KisA
    The Xinguary

Hi all,

It has been quite some time since we last reported in, so I thought I'd give you a little update on what's been going on in the Xinguary.
    In general, everything is ok, things are on the right track, the fishroom downstairs in the basement is coming along slowly but surely, meanwhile the adults -both the wilds and the F1's- take turns in spawning at different sites in the main tank upstairs. With no intention to raise any of the currently unwanted fry they are left alone, but that does not mean that there are no survivors. Despite the fact that there are now 17 adult discus in there, there are always a few little ones that make it to the non-food-size, but this András only allows to maximise the timespan between two spawns, saving the pairs from becoming too exhausted.

There is one fish from F1A that developed a swollen belly, refused to eat and for a period of time he went nosestanding. He was given a separate tank and some epsom salt which did not cure the problem. András then took this fish and two others to THE fish-vet in Hungary where the following things were found. All the fish carried Hexamita in small amounts, found in the feces samples, Columnaris spp. - also in small numbers, but what did delight me is that there were a total number of 0 flukes of any type, which is great. Although none of the pathogens found were present in great numbers or ever caused any issues that needed attention, the doc prescribed a series of treatments including Metro for the Hex and another drug -its name I can't recall- for the Columnaris to cut their numbers back even more. The nosediving fish got a higher dose of Metro separately and he swims normally again. I don't know whether he eats too or not, but I have no reason to think he doesn't. So far we're only through the Metro treatment and into the second half of the other. The fish are all doing fine, or at least András hasn't called me with any issues, so I assume things are going in a smooth fashion.

A few weeks prior to the veterinary intervention András made a biotope-like, 120gal breeding tank and put pair C in it, hoping that he will be able to raise a batch from them. This neither one of us has done so far, except that I one had a mixed batch of all three pairs' fry, so I could not tell which fish was which... By now it has become evident, that pair 'A' tend to produce fry that grow faster and bigger, yet it is pair 'B' that raise fry with interesting colours, including red spots on the dorsal and the anal fins. If after the treatments are done, I'm sure András will have a second go with them in the big breeding tank. If he manages to raise a batch, then we will have the original seven wild fish and F1 offspring of 3 different pairs, A, B and C.

With a few bumps and some not too perfect working conditions along the road, it took us a little over 4 years to come to this point in the breeding programme. What makes me extremely proud of it all is the fact that we came this way without any sickness (apart from 'Bloaty Bob) or fish lost. The hatchery is going to remain one way (out only) for quite some time, so we're not expecting the outbreak of any serious epidemic -knock on wood- and with András's standards of general cleanlines it is certain that the nasties present are kept well in check.

I hope I can persuade András to post some more pics in the appropriate section as the fish continue to amaze me every rare time I see them and I'm sure that this new buzz in the world about the Xingús is not without a reason.: These fish are truly amazing to have swimming around in one's tank. I can't wait for the time when I can get back into the game and move on to the next level. Whether it will be wild x f1, f1 x f1, f1 x parent... who knows. Well, András. Maybe.

Nandi
    --=== LIQUID TENSION EXPERIMENT ===--

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Really nice to see you here Nandi and please ask Andras to post more pics of those Xingu. Sounds like your success with the Xingu has carried over to Andras. I am trying to walk in your footsteps with small successes of my own

Real Name
    Mauro

Thank you for the detailed update. I look forward seing more pics. Congratulations for your achievements.

Registered Member

Beautiful fish, I have been searching to buy wild golden xingu's for months now, but its sooo hard to find them. Is there anyone that has any tips for me??
    I am from the Netherlands, but prepared to travel a bit for them, please help! anyone?

Hi Robert,

Sorry about responding so late. If all goes according to plan, we will soon be able to provide a limited supply of carefully selected F1 Xingús and ship them all over the world. Details to follow soon.

Nandi

Real Name
    Zach

Quote Originally Posted by NanDiscus View Post
    Hi Robert,

Sorry about responding so late. If all goes according to plan, we will soon be able to provide a limited supply of carefully selected F1 Xingús and ship them all over the world. Details to follow soon.

Nandi
    I love what you are doing Nandi. As much as I love wild discus I still think they should be left where they are rather than be fished. I guess it has a lot to do with working at an lfs and seeing how many saltwater fish are killed daily....
    -Zach

Registered Member

Nandi,

Any news yet???

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk - now Free

News?
    Plenty and not.
    The first half of the fishroom at András' is ready, filled up with tanks and the tanks all have fish in them.
    I also got me a 65gal tank with a completely new pair in which the female is one of my original wilds and the male is another wild coming from a friend's display tank. Both fish have been in that display tank for quite a while, they spawned twice but with all the other fish in there the attempts brought no success. We then decided to give them their own tank, so I set it up in our bathroom at the farm. They have been here for about three months now and they are not doing anything at all apart from staring at me through the front glass. I know it's off season and all that, but I still find it a little strange. Food, water, etc. are all as good as can be, yet it looks like the pair lost the bond. Still, I don't want to bring more fish in order to cause a bit of a stir as I have no extra space in case anything goes pear-shaped.
    As hard as it is to admit, we quite practically haven't been able to produce any fry since the last season (about a year now), even though the F1 and some of the F2 generations are also ready for breeding.

Out of the seven wilds I imported in 2008, six are still with us. Female "B" was the one András had to put out of misery as she became paper thin and had the dorsal fin go horizontal. Old age.

This brings me to the question I meant to ask the more experienced here: Until what age do you think discus are capable of breeding? We think that our wild fish must be around 8-9 years of age, but most of them look nice and fit still and for example the pair I have here don't look old at all. The male's tail fin stretched a bit and looks a bit "veily", other than that there are no signs of aging what so ever. I would really love to be able to have at least another one or two batches of fry from any of the wild pairs as I'm not sure whether we will ever be able to get new wilds again.

Despite the long silence on here the project hasn't stopped and I hope that in the near future András and I will come up with a brief summary of the last two years or so.

Until then:DSCF6034.jpg

Real Name
    Disappointed-MadMatt

Quote Originally Posted by NanDiscus View Post
    News?
    Plenty and not.
    The first half of the fishroom at András' is ready, filled up with tanks and the tanks all have fish in them.
    I also got me a 65gal tank with a completely new pair in which the female is one of my original wilds and the male is another wild coming from a friend's display tank. Both fish have been in that display tank for quite a while, they spawned twice but with all the other fish in there the attempts brought no success. We then decided to give them their own tank, so I set it up in our bathroom at the farm. They have been here for about three months now and they are not doing anything at all apart from staring at me through the front glass. I know it's off season and all that, but I still find it a little strange. Food, water, etc. are all as good as can be, yet it looks like the pair lost the bond. Still, I don't want to bring more fish in order to cause a bit of a stir as I have no extra space in case anything goes pear-shaped.
    As hard as it is to admit, we quite practically haven't been able to produce any fry since the last season (about a year now), even though the F1 and some of the F2 generations are also ready for breeding.

Out of the seven wilds I imported in 2008, six are still with us. Female "B" was the one András had to put out of misery as she became paper thin and had the dorsal fin go horizontal. Old age.

This brings me to the question I meant to ask the more experienced here: Until what age do you think discus are capable of breeding? We think that our wild fish must be around 8-9 years of age, but most of them look nice and fit still and for example the pair I have here don't look old at all. The male's tail fin stretched a bit and looks a bit "veily", other than that there are no signs of aging what so ever. I would really love to be able to have at least another one or two batches of fry from any of the wild pairs as I'm not sure whether we will ever be able to get new wilds again.

Despite the long silence on here the project hasn't stopped and I hope that in the near future András and I will come up with a brief summary of the last two years or so.

Until then:DSCF6034.jpg
    Those are crazy beautiful wild discus!
    I heard discus Hans have a male around 7 still doing his job, the only way to really find out is try.
    Time to move on.

Registered Member damian_ireland's Avatar

any new news ?

Real Name
    Disappointed-MadMatt

Try a new cone, I just got 3 from Barb, my fish love them, you can see they are really comfortable with it, I might try that.

image.jpgimage.jpg
    Last edited by MadMatt; 09-03-2015 at 10:17 PM.
    Time to move on.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by MadMatt View Post
    Try a new cone, I just got 3 from Barb, my fish love them, you can see they are really comfortable with it, I might try that.

image.jpgimage.jpg
    Matt, this is a great thread with good information about breeding wilds. Nandi is one of my wilds mentors.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Disappointed-MadMatt

These are crazy unbelievable fish. I think this is the first time I have seen this old of a Discus.
    Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Matt, this is a great thread with good information about breeding wilds. Nandi is one of my wilds mentors.
    Pat

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast