Default Re: Wild Xingús

Very Nice!
    Fantasic shape.

Pelle

Registered Member

I agree...VERY nice!...Subtle, classic beauty!...Bill

Very nice fish, I'll have to post pictures of mine. They are about 8 years old now but still striking (yours are younger !). Take good care of them they are trully a class of their own.

Thank you guys!

Any success or attempt with breeding, Eric?

N./

The latest bit of news is, that depending on the snow situation here, my 1000-liter-tank will be arriving on Monday or Tuesday. That shall be a major change for my group of 7.

Over the last few weeks the fish have not been acting quite so normally like they had done earlier. They became quite picky when it comes to food and the three things they do eat these days are raw marine fish, spirulina flakes and discus granules. No fruits, no frozen artemia or glassworms, and having no compost worms at the moment, they can't even get their breakfast of champions. I never fed them beefheart and I am also not planning to. I offered it once and very soon after the feeding one of the fish excreted some whitish poo, which they'd never done before - and after.
    The three less dominant fish are looking a little skinny, they don't have much chance to feed properly in this small tank, I hope, that the bigger tank will sort this issue out.
    Any experiences related to matters like that?

Hopefully, this one will be the last series of pictures before I can move them into their new home. I'm all excited, I must say.
    Enjoy!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Some more soon after the w/c.

And the last five...

Registered Member

I love those fish Nan!...They all really do have such nice wild shapes and subtle colors. They should really do well in a bigger tank. ..Bill

Those are absolutely beautiful...I would love a tank of them here.

-al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Walter

Very nice!

Walter
    Walter

Real Name
    Matt

I love these! Amazing looking wilds
    -Matt

Quote Originally Posted by NanDiscus View Post
    The latest bit of news is, that depending on the snow situation here, my 1000-liter-tank will be arriving on Monday or Tuesday. That shall be a major change for my group of 7.

Over the last few weeks the fish have not been acting quite so normally like they had done earlier. They became quite picky when it comes to food and the three things they do eat these days are raw marine fish, spirulina flakes and discus granules. No fruits, no frozen artemia or glassworms, and having no compost worms at the moment, they can't even get their breakfast of champions. I never fed them beefheart and I am also not planning to. I offered it once and very soon after the feeding one of the fish excreted some whitish poo, which they'd never done before - and after.
    The three less dominant fish are looking a little skinny, they don't have much chance to feed properly in this small tank, I hope, that the bigger tank will sort this issue out.
    Any experiences related to matters like that?

Hopefully, this one will be the last series of pictures before I can move them into their new home. I'm all excited, I must say.
    Enjoy!
    I have a similar issue with my WC greens. They tend to be more agressive than domestic ones. The dominant ones get most of the food and are doing well. A couple of the sub-ordinates are looking emaciated. Not quite sure how to resolve this problem.

Registered Member Cooldadddyfunk286's Avatar

those are jaw dropping! I love the shape and the subtle beauty of them, I agree with everyone else! ...would love a tank of them

great pics, thanks.

take care.
    -Jason-
    -------------------------

Moon,

A bigger tank is my way to fix it. I know a few guys with tanks up to and also in excess of 250 gallons and most agree, that even though the 1 fish per 10 gallons of water principle may work in a few cases, for adult discus the space necessary to keep all the fish happy is somewhere around the 30-40 gallons per fish mark. Also, the fish do need objects in the tank, acting as landmarks of certain territories. (This is only based upon my observations, I can cite no scientific evidence to prove it.) The difference in the behaviour of the fish while they only had a bigger piece of mangrove in the tank, and the time they have the branches is just immense. Every single corner and branch of the the decoration has it's own fish. The problem is, that these personal spaces seem to be too small and even the smallest movement out of it causes trouble.
    In a tank with three times the surface area of the present one and another big branchy piece of wood in it they could have all the space necessary to live in relative peace, while the ones wanting to pair off and breed could actually have their own space to protect. Right now there wouldn't even be enough room for a fish to turn around in the tank after a go on the cone and not get attacked by another one. This is no good.

There are very obvious signs of two of my fish waiting for a chance to pick a corner of the tank and do 'something specific'. But right now there isn't enough space for it. At the same time though, I have to report on observations that differ from yours on the level of agressions between wild and domestic discus. Until a little over a year ago I've only had domestics for 10+ years and IME domestic fish can be a lot more likely to apply crude and brutal force on other fish. This does not seem to be the case with my Xingús. They seem to do it in a 'live and let live way'. There is no fierce fighting at all. Sometimes the two dominant and seem-to-be males give each other a bit of hell, but that only lasts a couple of seconds and that's all.

Once I've been typing this the fish have taken up their 'normal' position in and arond the branches and now try to take a picture of them like that. The pic will not be very good, because the lights are poor and the camera will be hand-held, but I try my best. I'll post the result after dinner.

Nandi

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast