AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mature 90G planted tank...

Registered Member theblondskeleton's Avatar

Default Mature 90G planted tank...

I tend to be a bit long-winded so bear with me...

Admittedly, I'm a noob to discus. I have created a very stable and healthy planted tank to which I would like to add discus. Here are my tank specs as of now:

Gear:
    90 Gallon AGA
    XP3 filter
    Pressurized CO2 with in-line reactor, pH controlled at 6.2
    18W UV filter active 12hrs/day
    300W Marineland Stealth Heater
    324W T5HO Light (don't freak out! The lights are only on full for 3 hours a day)
    PPS method fertilization

Flora:
    Pogostemon Stellatus 'broad leaf'
    Hemianthus Callatrichoides
    Cryptocoryne wendtii 'red'
    Limnophila Aromatica
    Blyxa aubertii
    Blyxa japonica
    Hemianthus Micranthemoides

Current Fauna:
    17 Harlequin Rasboras
    3 German Blue Rams
    1 BN plec
    1 Farlowella Acus
    6-8 otocinclus
    4-6 White Cloud Minnows
    4 dwarf gouramis
    2 veiled angels

Now, I'm in no rush. The tank is mature, stable, and healthy, and isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Most discus enthusiasts appear to be focused on raising the fastest-growing, most attractive fish, while the environment they are kept in is sterile and barren of any decor (as it is the method to achieving their stated goal). Of course, I am also devoted to keeping my fish healthy - there is no question of that. But, I also want to maintain a balance between my plants (which I work very hard to maintain) and the discus I wish to keep.

Granted: a tall order. However, I have exquisite patience, dedication, and this is really my only hobby - so I don't mind working a bit to make it happen.

Here's the plan:

I'd like to purchase between five and eight 3" discus - not settled on which variety yet - to add to the 90 Gallon. The angels will be finding another home, as will any other fish that need to. I have a 25 gallon tall aquarium which I can use as a bare-bottom grow-out tank for the discus, if - as I suspect - that is the recommendation of the wise gurus here at Simply. I have seen the consequences of others who ignored this sage advice and do not wish to follow suit.

Question 1 - Is it necessary with 3-inch discus to grow them out in a BB before introducing them to a planted tank? I'm not interested in particularly rapid growth, but I am interested in a healthy shoal of discus.

Question 2 - are there any upgrades to the gear I need to make - heater, filter, etc, or should what I have be sufficient?

A caveat:

With all due respect, I am not interested in the opinions of near-religious fanatics who insist that there is only one way to skin the cat, so to speak. I have seen beautiful planted discus tanks with beautiful fish as well. I know this is possible. I am simply researching the best possible methods to achieve a truly stunning display. I'm interested in discussion, not argument, thank you.

The first step in my research is to acclimate my plants to discus-friendly temps. Currently, the tank is at 78 F. I will raise it one degree per week until it reaches 82 F, and I will consider that good.

All said, I really appreciate the forum's experience and wisdom. Thanks for helping me become a better fish keeper!

Here is a recent photo of my tank as is...

Default Re: Mature 90G planted tank...

Beautiful tank. I think you may want to have an additional heater in your tank just incase. I have planted tanks. Good luck and thanks for sharing.
    Robert

Thanks, blkrob - I kind of suspected that one. It's on the list

Beautiful tank!
    Now I'll give you my thoughts on what I would do. I would just invest in 5-6/ 4.5" discus and call it a day. Let the breeder do the hard work for ya. Plus bigger discus require less food, less WC, and would be fine in lower temps.

25g is too small as a growout tank long term and with the tank full of plants as it is, too many or too big discus would look odd(aesthethically speaking). Seems that you'll care about the well being of the fish, but doesn't seem like you are interested or setup to grow juveniles to their full potential. No, it's not a fanatical response but quite frankly substandard discus(that's what it'll happen if you are not careful with juveniles) in this outstanding tank would be a crime.

Regarding question #1, yes it can be done, ask Chad Hughes . To grow juveniles you need the correct amount of food and great water quality. If you can achive both it doesn't matter whether it's BB tank or planted. Now the hard part is to achieve this while maintaining the quality of the acquascape, health of the plants, and algae out of the system.

On question #2- Looks good to me. Maybe 2 smaller heaters instead of a large one in case one malfunctions.
    If money is no object though, Ozone and its reactor and a controller with some probes like ORP, temp, PH etc. would be nice

That's my take on it, HTH
    When science and magic collide, the story begins.

Hey, thanks Ed13! Sounds wise all around. I agree that a smaller number of fish would look better in the tank - it's very densely planted. I may spring for the more mature fish, but unfortunately price IS an object

My challenge it appears would be keeping the balance I have with the increase in food and the attendant algae potential. That said, you are correct - I'm not set up, nor am I interested in growing what I would consider "show quality" specimens. Just healthy fish So, I may just go for the mature fish.

Question 3 - how long does it typically take a discus to mature from a size of about 2"? Just curious. My books enlighten me not on the subject.

Registered Member

I would leave only harlequins, german rams, bs and farlowella in the tank.

Registered Member

Beautiful tank! I would skip the white clouds as they are a cool water fish

Thanks! Yeah, the white clouds were a rescue from another setup. They can find another home. I've just been a bit lazy about it.

I second what everyone has said...very good info thus far.

I too am looking to populate my planted tank...and am waiting to save up for at LEAST 4 inch discus. The hassle of growing them out is not something I want to deal with. I'd rather be patient and save up for it. The payoff will be huge, and you won't have to worry about overfeeding, constant water changes, etc. that will effect the planted environment.

When you get your discus, keep an eye on your ottos. Some are little buggers that go after discus slime coat. Most of the time, from what I've read, they seem ignore the discus, but there will be the occasional otto that will need to go. In which case, I'd get a couple more BN plecos. Solved.

Your worry for algae is something I've always had to deal with. Just recently I've found my "zone." Good 'consistent' circulation of C02, and a balance of lights and ferts will be the only thing. The extra nitrate created by the discus will be sucked up by plants.

Beautiful tank btw. Good luck.

PS - if you're really worried about leftover food, get some bottom feeders like corys to do the job. This may be your best option because vacumming leftover food from glosso is not easy without ripping them up. I have 3 clown loaches in my 90 gallon and there's never anything leftover.
    Last edited by Sharkbait; 11-16-2009 at 05:26 PM.

Registered Member

Discus are messy. It's a lot of work to grow them out in planted tank. Barebottom is the best way. I would go with a pair in your tank to keep the bioload low. And at big size u can reduce the temp, so it's best for plants too. Anyway what temp are u going to keep the tank at? Are you sure the plants gonna be alright at high temperature? I'm still novice to discus but i used to grow out cichlids like red devils and fh.

Registered Member

i would get rid of the gouramis if i were you, i had some, they are vicious to the discus, or they were for me at least

Registered Member

i was just woundering what the plant is called that seems to be covering the bottom of your tank

Mcjoe: That's Hemianthus Callatrichoides 'cuba'. Very tiny leaves. It could become a trap for any leftover food if I overfeed, but I plan on having some corys to take over the heavy lifting there.

icemanx23: The plants will be fine as long as I acclimate them slowly. 82 F is at the upper range of tolerance for all of the species I have, but I'm experimenting to see what they can handle.

mareshow: Definitely My gouramis are pretty boisterous, too. Always sparring with my angels.

Sharkbait: I want to add a small group of panda corys to the tank as soon as I can, to take care of the mess. I have heard this about otos - I'll keep an eye on them. I love the BN plec anyhow, so another won't hurt my feelings! While the tank was establishing I had the normal algae issues, but since then, I only get BBA if something is imbalanced (too much dissolved organic waste, CO2 unstable, etc) and GSA is minimal. Other algae have disappeared completely. As you apparently know, 'the zone' is hard to find, but once you're there, it's like heaven!

It looks like I'll be pricing out and saving up for a few 4 inch discus, then.

I have been considering red turquoise leopards, as the colors are just amazing, and I love the patterns. Are there any strains I should be particularly wary of?

All I got to say is that is a wicked planted tank, very nice.

As far as being wary of in a planted tank, I dont like pigeon blood discus in a planted tank, no matter how nice they appear to be, but thats me.

All the best with your discus!

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

I agree with Eddie. The goal of a planted tank, in my opinion, is to simulate a natural setting. Now, the natural setting for discus is dark, and murky. Not everyone will go for a natural biotope, but in a planted tank, I find that if you include more natural discus, it kinda takes care of itself...if that makes any sense.

Turquoises, Leopards, Cobalts, Blue Diamonds, Santerms, Alenquers even Snakeskins (bit of a stretch)....are wonderful strains for planted tanks. Pigeon bloods pepper which to most is unappealing. And albinos, if you're just starting out, can be quite expensive, especially when you have to get 4 inches.

Of course, this is all personal opinion. If you find something you really like, go for it!

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast