ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can you help me identify these discus

Registered Member

Default Re: Can you help me identify these discus

Quote Originally Posted by Jhhnn View Post
    With the better pics, I'd say those probably are wilds. Lots of Turq strains produce throwbacks that appear as wilds or near wilds, which are nonetheless sold as turquoise of one sort or another. That was the basis of my original comment.

I'm no expert, please.
    Thank you, I do understand. I don't know very much at all about discus, to be honest and I'm really protective of my fish. I know it might sound silly, but I always do try my best by them with what little I know. So, I'm sorry if I took your previous comments too personally. I understand what you were saying now, and I appreciate your note. Wait 'til you see the new pictures of the last five wilds that I picked up since yesterday afternoon!!!
    Shelley

Hey Shelley,
    Looks like the Discus bug's really biting eh? Good for you! Like anything in life, it's interesting to have others opinions now and then, but what it's all about is what something means to you; you are happy with your Discus & thats all that matters. Your fish look great btw & I look forward to seeing those new arrivals!
    Kind Regards
    Keith
    The two best times to fish are when its raining and when it's not.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by tha_krust View Post
    geez i just wish someone would sell me a tanks with wilds already included...you dont know how hard it is where i am to get good fish!!
    Don't hate me, but it sometimes DOES pay to stay up all night and look at online classified ads! So the Hagen Osaka 155 came with a Fluval 205 and a Rena XP4. TONS of driftwood, subtrate with soil, fert tabs, blah, blah, blah, two HUGE pieces of vulcanic rock, some chunk of petrified wood, a natural CO2 fermentation unit, the five discus, two clown loaches (??!!) oh, right and the tank and stand.....$500 Canadian!! Crazy, right? And I swore I would never buy a used tank. Yeah. Never say never!

Registered Member

Pics and video of the new kids from yesterday. I think the runt is a ruby red, but my tummy says it just might be something a little more interesting. Going to have to wait for him to grow out, but I'm almost thinking an Alenguer....could it just be wishful dreaming

The kids -

The last two are terrible, I know. It's the best I could do though. Will keep trying for sure.

Please hang in there....the color is really weird at first, but gets better.

Thanks for looking.
    Shelley

Registered Member

Just one more of the last little guy I got today.

It looks ruby red, but ANY chance it's something wild, like maybe one of these:

http://www.chensdiscus.co.uk/wp-content/070940.jpg

http://www.chensdiscus.co.uk/wp-content/070941.jpg

http://www.chensdiscus.co.uk/wp-content/070939.jpg

Registered Member

Very nice collection you are putting together there. If you do not mind me asking,where did you get your latest wilds. I can see another tank in the near future.
    Laurence

wow. the discus bug is really biting hard. is that three more discus purchased??? sounds like impulsive buying to me but that's expected when first starting in the discus hobby

like the heckel, wish i could find some in LA, but it looks a little young

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by luckyfind View Post
    Very nice collection you are putting together there. If you do not mind me asking,where did you get your latest wilds. I can see another tank in the near future.
    Laurence
    I've managed to get my hands on FIVE wilds in the last two days - all from two local fish stores. I know I'm VERY fortunate. My exhusband who is an engineer figures I'm almost at maximum load with six tanks in a 600 square foot apartment on the third floor! Don't want to push my luck.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by samuelkl View Post
    wow. the discus bug is really biting hard. is that three more discus purchased??? sounds like impulsive buying to me but that's expected when first starting in the discus hobby

like the heckel, wish i could find some in LA, but it looks a little young
    Yeah, five since yesterday! I know, I know. I think I'm starting to lean heavily on wilds especially with my altum. I don't think I'll have a problem finding homes for my domestics The little red guy I got today is going to a new home on Tuesday as well.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by keef View Post
    Hey Shelley,
    Looks like the Discus bug's really biting eh? Good for you! Like anything in life, it's interesting to have others opinions now and then, but what it's all about is what something means to you; you are happy with your Discus & thats all that matters. Your fish look great btw & I look forward to seeing those new arrivals!
    Kind Regards
    Keith
    Thanks, Keith. Yes, it sure has bitten. And luckily for me it's bitten me in the backside - otherwise if I sat down all day I wouldn't get in all the waterchanges I have to do. Remember, I also have five other non-discus tanks!!! I can't wait for them to fatten up a bit. They're like new tank puppies!
    Shelley

Registered Member

I think you have found the perfect hobby! I believe that it takes a person like you to really succeed in this hobby.

I can see that you are willing to put however amount of work necessary to make these discus happy in their new environment.

The learning might get a little overwhelming at times but I am sure you will pass that stage with flying colors!

Good luck with your new endeavour, and you sure have come to the perfect place! There are plenty of people here who are more than willing to answer any questions you may have.

Julie

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by frenchie100 View Post
    I think you have found the perfect hobby! I believe that it takes a person like you to really succeed in this hobby.

I can see that you are willing to put however amount of work necessary to make these discus happy in their new environment.

The learning might get a little overwhelming at times but I am sure you will pass that stage with flying colors!

Good luck with your new endeavour, and you sure have come to the perfect place! There are plenty of people here who are more than willing to answer any questions you may have.

Julie
    Thanks, Julie - I really do appreciate that. I'm a little out of the ordinary in that with most people, they gain knowledge over a period of time and years of trial and error - they get that "wise", "wisdom" thing. I get a bee in my bonnet and that's that - I need to know everything and I need to know everything NOW. Don't have time for my own errors, so I read and learn from others. Errors still do happen, but quite often I remember something I read and I can put out smoke before it becomes a fire. So am I a little embarrased to say I've only had discus for two months? Yes. Absolutely. I have been keeping fish for over 15 years though. Mostly loaches and botias. I still have a couple over 12 years old. And they were tough to keep sometimes, especially to treat as they either have no scales or tiny scales. So I have learnt quite a lot over the years and I'm also old enough to remember tanks FULL of L046 zebra plecos for $25 each which we thought was WAY expensive! So with my current assortment of discus/altum tank, angelfish, ram and rainbow tank, community tank, 17 gallon barebottom "planted" rimless bowfront with 5 different species of rams (I have a bonded pair - an electric blue male and a female german blue balloon!), etc. etc. I'm learning a LOT in a short time!!

Registered Member

Hey! You sound like me! My husband thinks I am crazy! Too much of a perfectionist.

Oh yeah! You are perfect for this!

I had 3 clown loaches for 8 years! Loved those guys!

I had a community tank for 7 years before I even thought about discus and it still it me like a ton of bricks! I felt like I was a complete newbie with fish keeping when I had thought of myself as pretty experienced before that!

I hope it will be a smoother ride for you !

Julie

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by frenchie100 View Post
    Hey! You sound like me! My husband thinks I am crazy! Too much of a perfectionist.

Oh yeah! You are perfect for this!

I had 3 clown loaches for 8 years! Loved those guys!

I had a community tank for 7 years before I even thought about discus and it still it me like a ton of bricks! I felt like I was a complete newbie with fish keeping when I had thought of myself as pretty experienced before that!

I hope it will be a smoother ride for you !

Julie
    I know exactly what you mean. I look back on how I used to treat my fish and think: "How did they all LIVE?"!! Having discus has made me a MUCH better fishkeeper all round. All my other tanks are benefitting from me paying them all much more attention. I don't even have to use anything to test the water anymore - I just watch the fish. They tell me exactly what's happening in the water by the way they move, or eat, or don't eat, etc. etc. I'd have to say stumbling across these fish has been a little bit of magic.

Real Name
    Chris

Love your new wilds!

Chris
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."~ Mahatma Gandhi

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast