ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Wrigglers!

Default Re: Wrigglers!

All the fry died. I believe I know what caused the problem...contamination from when I used the tank as QT in between batches of fry. I didn't use the same media and was sure to clean the tank and equipment with PP, but I suspect it wasn't enough.

As a result, I've totally torn down my QT after running PP in it for three days. Then I took my bio-media and soaked it in chlorine solution and wiped the tank down with chlorine solution as well. It's empty and dried out at this point and I will start again. I'll add prime and run for a few days then drain and fill again before putting fish in.

I have a new batch of wrigglers getting ready to go free swimming, so the fry tank will be ready when I need to separate the fry.

Anything other steps to take?

Sorry to hear David, I thought the acriflavine fixed them up. What type of symptoms?

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Sorry to hear David, I thought the acriflavine fixed them up. What type of symptoms?

Eddie
    They turned dark/heavy peppered, stopped eating, grouped in a corner. Right before they would die, they would dart from one side of the tank to another or up and down briefly.

Quote Originally Posted by David Rose View Post
    They turned dark/heavy peppered, stopped eating, grouped in a corner. Right before they would die, they would dart from one side of the tank to another or up and down briefly.

Sounds like 4 week syndrome, did you try Fucin?

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

No... but they were seven weeks and from what I read on BIDKA I thought it couldn't be four week syndrome before or after. In any case, I'm still surprised it could bacterial related given how clean I keep my tanks, daily water changes, vacuuming waste in between.

No... but they were seven weeks and from what I read on BIDKA I thought it couldn't be four week syndrome before or after. In any case, I'm still surprised it could bacterial related given how clean I keep my tanks, daily water changes, vacuuming waste in between.

I think 4 week syndrome is merely a term used for when the fry are moved to their own tank and develop the symptoms you described. I don't think its meant to only happen during or immediately after 4 weeks.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

So Fucin would have been the way to go?

IMO 4-week syndrome is kind of a catch-all diagnosis for when we don't know what the problem is - kind of like 'the plague' is used now. Since you had been having problems for a while now, it is best to start over. Otherwise, since you were keeping your tank clean, I would have tried Quick Cure if Acriflavin didn't resolve the problem.

So Fucin would have been the way to go?

Not sure, never tried it. Its recommended for 4 week syndrome and you have some, right?

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

I've found that formalin, or Quick Cure, which is formalin & Malachite Green, is successful most frequently when this type of trouble comes up in very young fry. The darting occurs when they are being severly bothered by external parasites. This is, of course, if you are doing large daily wc's with a trusted source of water and wiping the tank down daily. If not, deal with those first and add acriflavine @ 1drop/gal.
    Kacey

The 'darting' was only before they die. Maybe I'm using the wrong terminology. It only lasted a for a brief time and only at the end. Very painful to watch.

The 'darting' was only before they die. Maybe I'm using the wrong terminology. It only lasted a for a brief time and only at the end. Very painful to watch.
    That sounds right. When they get to the point where they can't stand it, they just dart away in an attempt to get away from it. Like their version of lashing out in frustration.
    Kacey

Thanks everyone...at least I feel better prepared for the future.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415