ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Wrigglers!

Default Re: Wrigglers!

Is there anything special I should do for lighting to assist with them attaching to the parents? I've read somewhere on SD about using a night light. Currently, I have the regular tank light on.

David,
    They aren't likely to raise just 8 fry. They will lay again and you can use an anti-fungal like formalin (what I use) meth blue or Acriflavin. You can either screen the eggs or let the parents try to get it right with out one.
    I use a night light in the fishroom but that's all. Nothing special for the breeding tank itself.

Kacey

Thanks Kacey!

Well I have free swimmers today...well at least the fry think so, but the female keeps putting them on the pot and they just try to get back to her or swim around exploring. I caught the male doing the same thing.

The pair are really trying to do a good job with the remaining. I'm not sure exactly how many there are though. Most of the time I can only see four, but then at other times six or eight. Not many at all, but I'm letting them work it out for themselves.

Normaly they will keep trying to return them to the cone untill they are overwhelmed with too many fry to keep up with, so all is well.

Kacey

Great pictures David! The parents are beautiful!

Take care,

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Thanks Eddie... I really appreciate it!

Okay... so after taking the above pics and then carefully doing a partial water change, my pair are at again. I guess I shouldn't have taken out the "breeding cone" to clean the bottom, but before I could return it here they are tonight.

I have to say though, I have two concerns: 1) when are kids just too young to know about the birds and the bees? and 2) is it normal for them to be multi-tasking?

As you can see from the pics below, day 1 free swimmers got an education, were feeding, and keeping Dad and Mom on their "toes/fins" with them catching them and spitting them back out onto the sponge filter in the middle of it all....LOL

Very nice David! Thats cool as heck, maybe they'll keep them with the new ones.

Take care and all the best,

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Wonderful pics David! I have never seen discus spawning with new little fry on their sides at the same time. Amazing thing to see, thanks for showing us!
    Barb

Real Name
    Chris

Amazing! Great shots David.

Chris
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."~ Mahatma Gandhi

I'm Jealous, Gonna just have to practice patience.

That's great. The parents are sweet looking fish. Don't get too attached to the freeswimmers as the parents will most likely do away with them eventually. Hopefully they will have many more freeswimmers in 6 days.

Kacey

Registered Member Carolina discus's Avatar

David,
    Congrats on the pair...don't worry as the fry will probably disapear in a day or so as the parents will focus on the eggs......there is nothing wrong as it is common for the first spawn to not make it....I am sure they will get it right very soon...
    Thanks

eric

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast