AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Wrigglers!

Default Re: Wrigglers!

There are at least a couple of fry left from last week's batch and only about 1/3 of the eggs remain from this week's spawning. The parents don't seem too interested in either group as they just are swimming around together on the opposite side of the tank.

I got Jack Wattley's Breeding Discus for Beginners yesterday. I had been looking to purchase it, but I decided to set up a membership with the local library instead to check it out first. They had to request it as an inter-library loan from NC, which took a few weeks. I was amazed there there were only a 3 or so pages out of this small book that really had specifics about breeding such as spawning, wriggler, free-swimming stages with natural vs. artificial methods of raising of fry. It does give a fry recipe in the artificial method, which was interesting. But the overall book mainly focuses on the surrounding environment basiscs in keeping discus such as water quality, filtration, feeding, disease etc. in this 64 page book. In general, the book seems somewhat dated and I'm surprised at the costly price tag to purchase starting at $47 used and $80 and up for new.

Anyone have a better recommendation for books to review or threads on SD that may provide more detail?

At this point, I'm thinking about moving the wrigglers to their own tank and trying to artificially raise them before the parents "do away with them". Given most of the eggs disappeared by the next day, I'm definitely going to screen the "cone" next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina discus View Post
    David,
    Congrats on the pair...don't worry as the fry will probably disapear in a day or so as the parents will focus on the eggs......there is nothing wrong as it is common for the first spawn to not make it....I am sure they will get it right very soon...
    Thanks

eric
    I'm very happy with both of my RGDs that I got from you! I'm excited in this being my first attempt at raising some fry...well at least when it finally happens...LOL

Hi David,
    IME you'll get alot more info out of reading old threads that deal with the questions you have than with any of the discus books out there. Even the best of the books give only very generalized info about breeding.
    There are good books to own though and I would put Untergasser's "Discus Health" at the top, with both of Andrew Soh's books next. Don't expect them to teach you how to breed discus though. You can learn that right here.

Kacey

Thanks Kacey...that's good to know regarding the books. I actually bought Discus Health awhile ago and have Andrew Soh's book on my x-mas list....LOL.

I'll keep searching old threads, but have only come across bits and pieces so far. I guess after I've been through this a few times and feel comfortable with my research, mabye I'll put a checklist of sorts and notes together and post a collective thread to get other feedback as well. It would be nice to have some of this information all together.

For now, I'll prepare for the next spawn getting some formalin and screen for around my breeding cone. That should get me a pretty good shot at getting a full batch of fry this time around.

Quote Originally Posted by dlr1961 View Post
    There are at least a couple of fry left from last week's batch and only about 1/3 of the eggs remain from this week's spawning. The parents don't seem too interested in either group as they just are swimming around together on the opposite side of the tank.

I got Jack Wattley's Breeding Discus for Beginners yesterday. I had been looking to purchase it, but I decided to set up a membership with the local library instead to check it out first. They had to request it as an inter-library loan from NC, which took a few weeks. I was amazed there there were only a 3 or so pages out of this small book that really had specifics about breeding such as spawning, wriggler, free-swimming stages with natural vs. artificial methods of raising of fry. It does give a fry recipe in the artificial method, which was interesting. But the overall book mainly focuses on the surrounding environment basiscs in keeping discus such as water quality, filtration, feeding, disease etc. in this 64 page book. In general, the book seems somewhat dated and I'm surprised at the costly price tag to purchase starting at $47 used and $80 and up for new.

Anyone have a better recommendation for books to review or threads on SD that may provide more detail?

At this point, I'm thinking about moving the wrigglers to their own tank and trying to artificially raise them before the parents "do away with them". Given most of the eggs disappeared by the next day, I'm definitely going to screen the "cone" next time.
    Success with Discus by Jim Quarles and Andrew's first book.
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

That's exactly what I did when I first started. I took notes and put together a log book of all the info I felt I'd need now and later, and entered it into different catagories so I wouldn't have to read it all to find what I wanted. It makes a big difference.

Kacey

Eggs and fry are gone at this point, but I'm ready for this weeks' spawning with Formalin ready and I've made a screen for the cone.

Could someone advise as to how much formalin or methylene blue to add to the breeding tank as a preventative for fungus on eggs such as tsps/gal?

With formalin use 1 drop per gallon. Quick Cure and acriflavine also work at the same dosage. [I]'ve never used M Blue for eggs.

Kacey

none....

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Well hopefully we'll get it right this time. I did make a screen for my terracota pot just in time as the pair laid eggs late afternoon yesterday. It would seem her frequency in laying eggs has increased, which had been about every six days and is now down to four or five.

In any case, I caught the two spawning and added formalin per the directions on the bottle (prior to your post Kacey), which called for 1 tsp/90 gallons, so I added 1/2 tsp to my 46 gallon. Once the pair were done spawning, I added the screen and as of this morning, no fungus and all the eggs remain.

Sounds good David. Keep us posted.

Kacey

Thanks Kacey...I really appreciate all your help and for monitoring this thread!

These pics are from today. Hopefully by tomorrow, we'll have wrigglers again!

Pics from yesterday after eggs hatched and removing the screen. The parents have cleaned up the area a bit since.

I always enjoyed seeing that ..

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast