AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My First Fry*

Real Name
    Chris

Default Re: My First Fry*

Your fry look good. I like your tank too.

Chris
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."~ Mahatma Gandhi

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

Added a still photo at seven weeks that better shows the color developing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by CozyKeith View Post
    Added a still photo at seven weeks that better shows the color developing.
    Cool pix, you can see the red in their eyes. Do you have them in a substrate bottom tank?

Take care,

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Real Name
    CozyKeith

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Cool pix, you can see the red in their eyes. Do you have them in a substrate bottom tank?

Take care,

Eddie
    It really looks that way in the picture doesn't it. No, that's the rock base that the driftwood is attached to. To bad you can't see how good it looked before I had to reduce it to post it.

It really looks that way in the picture doesn't it. No, that's the rock base that the driftwood is attached to. To bad you can't see how good it looked before I had to reduce it to post it.
    Ah, cool. Doing some great work with them. Just when you think the Adults are your babies and then have some REAL babies.

All the best!

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

They are surely coloring up now, and a lot of blue sheen to the base. I think they will be nice adults! Great job with them!
    I never drink water because of the disgusting things that fish do in it.. - W. C. Fields
    Joan R

Great thread & great fish.

Thanks for sharing.

Real Name
    CozyKeith

Quote Originally Posted by joanr View Post
    They are adorable, look very healthy and happy! Size looks fine for their age. You will always have some smaller than others, just the way it goes. I see they have bars, and some are lighter than others. You won't know for several months what they will look like as adults color wise.
    I note yours had bars too. I don't think there are two different colors, I believe it's just the tank lighting giving that appearance on the video. As you say though, time will tell on their eventual coloration. I sure hope I don't run into anything unexpected so I can actually see how they turn out.
    Joan - I have to make sure you look at all my videos, you've apparently got quite an eye. I've been reluctant to jump the gun, but it appears to me now that there are going to be some wide variations in the coloration of the fry. A few of them having gotten quite a darkish blue, while the rest remain light.

Yep, that's to be expected when you have a cross such as your pair. I don't know what you were planning to do with the fry, keep some or try to sell them? In either case they look nice and healthy and you can wait and keep a few of the best looking ones for your community tank. If you want to get serious about breeding them it's always best to have a same strain or similiar strain pair to start out with. I couldn't bear to have mine wasting away at the LFS here, and they were not easy to sell since they were a cross, but luckily I finally found some folks who fell in love with all 12 of them because of their nice shapes and dark red eyes. They didn't mind the blue/copperish coloring.
    I never drink water because of the disgusting things that fish do in it.. - W. C. Fields
    Joan R

Real Name
    Chris

Looking good!

Chris
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."~ Mahatma Gandhi

Real Name
    CozyKeith

Quote Originally Posted by joanr View Post
    I don't know what you were planning to do with the fry, keep some or try to sell them? In either case they look nice and healthy and you can wait and keep a few of the best looking ones for your community tank.
    A community tank is what got me into this mess in the first place. I just bought a nice group of 2 1/2 inch assorted discus and the next thing I know I have two spawning pair. If the second pair get it right some day I'm really going to be wondering what to do. I have a couple of individuals who are interested in a portion of the fry and a couple "local" fish stores that actually know something about discus who will take the rest. The one thing about being in Wisconsin is there aren't many discus available, makes the better LFS anxious to get any. I wish this pair was matched, and I wouldn't at all mind getting a good male RT, but so far I haven't pursued it.

Real Name
    CozyKeith

I know I'm biased, but here's a pretty cool picture of the parents latest effort.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thats a nice size spawn.

All the best,
    Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123