AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What media will "polish" my water

Default Re: What media will "polish" my water

Quote Originally Posted by jeff@zina.com View Post
    The nice thing about the Magnums is all the parts are easily available, and relatively cheap.

As for the diatomaceous earth, it's still heavily used for swimming pool filters, and you can get the media from most pool supply places. The problem is the proper containers, I haven't seen one for the Magnums for decades.
    Jeff
    Hi Jeff,

Which container do you mean? Check out this site.

http://www.marineandreef.com/Marinel...ilter_s/80.htm

Take care,

Registered Member

One more vote for a Magnum 350 using the micron filter. I've used these for years on my Rift Lake tanks with great results. I also run a Vortex on it once in a while, but like the fact that the Mag 350 can be run continuously. The only problem I have with the Mag 350 is that, when new, I find they suck a lot of air into the canister (from God only knows where! Probably around the canister seal), but this often clears up in a week or so after the o-rings get settled.

I'm currently running a 350 on a sump under a 70 G Oceanic Tech, in the final chamber before return to the tank.

- KW

Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    Buy a pouch of Purigen, put it in one of your filters with your media (make room by removing some media if needed. Get ready to be blown away the next day.

After researching Purigen in more detail, I ordered some from Kensfish.com, one of our sponsors here who had the best pricing as well. I have to say that after trying it for a few weeks on my grow out tank, I like it! I espcecially like that it can be regenerated over and over again, so no more product to buy necessarily. However, it does pay to do research on Seachems website first because some dechlor prodructs will react with Purigen making it toxic.

http://www.seachem.com/support/FAQs/Purigen.html

You might want to browse around the site as well to read other possible issues with pH buffers, if you use them.

Best of luck,
    David
    Last edited by David Rose; 01-03-2010 at 09:02 PM.

I have to agree....I put in Purigen in my tank and the water is polished! It is a planted tank though, so there will always be a couple particles floating around.

Pricey for us Canadians...100ml packages were 18 bucks plus tax. At least I won't be buying anymore though! Love the fact that I can regenerate it.

Also, my dosing schedule has not been affected and plants have not suffered.

David, which dechlor products are you talking about? I can't seem to find them on the website. I normally use Seachem Prime, but I've switched to Tailored Aquatics, "Vanquish" to try it out.

http://www.tailoredaquatics.com/index.html?a=0&d=88

"...Only certain slime coat products will cause PurigenŽ to become toxic; the products that do this are amine based. PrimeŽ and Safe™ are not amine based and so will not cause this problem. If you're curious, what happens is that the amine compounds can strongly bind to the resin, then when they (the amines) come into contact with any chlorine they will form chloramines which are highly toxic. We offer a stress coat product, StressGuard™, which is not amine based and so can be used in conjunction with Purigen.™"

Check out the link above to read the Purigen FAQs page.

Thanks David

Registered Member jeff@zina.com's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by David Rose View Post
    Hi Jeff,

Which container do you mean?
    There used to be a container for diatomaceous earth, similar to the one for carbon. I don't think it's even been made since the early 1980's or before.

Jeff

Why is it that they say not to run diatom filters all the time? I've used them on some of other chiclid tanks continuously without issue.
    Greater Cincinnati Aquarium Society
    Horticulture Awards Program Chair

I do things my way because they work for me sorry if you disagree.

I've heard that the powder will eventually take out some needed electrolytes from the water but with the w/c's we do with Discus I don't think that would matter. I run the HOT Micron polisher on the day that I don't do w/c, every other day on the 50 gal and the water params do not change at all. Just gives me really crystal clear water. Going to try the Purigen also, I've heard nothing but good reviews about it.
    I never drink water because of the disgusting things that fish do in it.. - W. C. Fields
    Joan R

Registered Member jeff@zina.com's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zamboniMan View Post
    Why is it that they say not to run diatom filters all the time? I've used them on some of other chiclid tanks continuously without issue.
    First, they're expensive to run. They clog sooner than most and need backwashing or media replacement fairly frequently. Th other reason is that diatoms can slip back into the water, and to a fish it's kind of like getting a little sand in your teeth, mostly annoying until you inhale enough and it clogs your lungs.

Diatom filters also have zero biological effect, they remove particulate matter only.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jeff@zina.com View Post
    First, they're expensive to run. They clog sooner than most and need backwashing or media replacement fairly frequently. Th other reason is that diatoms can slip back into the water, and to a fish it's kind of like getting a little sand in your teeth, mostly annoying until you inhale enough and it clogs your lungs.

Diatom filters also have zero biological effect, they remove particulate matter only.

Jeff
    When I had them I'd clean them out with water changes. Maybe thats why I never had a problem? Or maybe I just always dodged the bullet
    Greater Cincinnati Aquarium Society
    Horticulture Awards Program Chair

I do things my way because they work for me sorry if you disagree.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123