ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outbreak in the house

Default Outbreak in the house

Well I sad to say that there is an outbreak of Discus plague going on in my house. To date I haven't seen any signs that it has affected the competition fish...and I hope that I caught it in time. They all look fine as of now and are acting like normal (eating/swimming/pooping) If you want to follow the thread it is in the disease section. oh...and the eggs....they turned white and the parents ate them after a few days of taking care of them. I figured as much as their water is not conditioned for breeding. Anyways, the battle is on to control the outbreak. Cross your fingers....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Chris

Default Re: Outbreak in the house

Wow, sorry to hear about the outbreak. I hope that everything works out and that the rest of your fish stay healthy.

Chris
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."~ Mahatma Gandhi

Definitely hoping the challenge fish dont get infected! They are some KILLER beauty's.

All the best Evelyn and take care,

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Evelyn
    Didn't realize you had so many discus and tanks !
    The plague can be absolutely nerve racking. Hope you can keep it under control and especially away from the contest discus.
    Wish you the best,
    Bill

Wow, best of luck with the disease control! Your comp. fish look great! mike

Best of luck with the disease battle. What do you think spurred the outbreak?

Best wishes!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Good luck with that Evelyn. Contest fish look amazing! Great job!

Just wanted to drop a quick line that as of today all the fishies are still okay in my main fish room. I still have the two tanks in the other room under close watch. I had to cull two more since my last post, however the remainer are looking fine. I am hoping that this is the end but I will be leaving them in isolation for a while still.

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Hughes View Post
    Best of luck with the disease battle. What do you think spurred the outbreak?

Best wishes!
    Hey Chad,

Not sure what brought it on, but man is it ever fast in spreading. It only took two days to infect the three tanks. Hope that I have it under control now...I guess that time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by 2075turner View Post
    Hey Chad,

Not sure what brought it on, but man is it ever fast in spreading. It only took two days to infect the three tanks. Hope that I have it under control now...I guess that time will tell.
    Wow! Sorry to hear of this. Please keep us all posted. My thoughts are with you!

Best wishes!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by 2075turner View Post
    Hey Chad,

Very strange, seems like everytime someone has seen this they had brought in new fish...

Thanks,
    -jim
    President NADA

SOS Crew - Texas

Glad to hear the contest fish are still unaffected Evelyn. Hopefully the storm is settled as it sounds so.

Take care and all the best!

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Real Name
    Francis

Hey Evelyn.....good to know the discus are getting better and what meds are you treating them since I also have an outbreak at my place lol.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Quote Originally Posted by seanyuki View Post
    Hey Evelyn.....good to know the discus are getting better and what meds are you treating them since I also have an outbreak at my place lol.
    Oh Man Francis,

I hope that you have caught it in time. I had to cull 22 of my fish in order to keep it under control. I used formalin 3 that I picked up at Big Al's here in Ottawa. I first used it as a dip then added a treatment to fresh water then placed the fish in their new tanks away from the main fish room. I also added a window fan in there to add some exhaust in that room. I did 50% water changes on them daily. Adding the formalin everytime I changed the water (20 gal tank-10 gal of water changed=1 tsp of formalin every water change) for 4 days. One tank responded immediately, the second tank is taking a little longer but showing signs of improvement. The third tank I had to cull them all as they were the worst off and did not show signs of improvement after 48 hours. Eddie had suggested that PP is the method of treatment but because I had started Formalin it would be toxic to the fish to switch my meds. I would probably follow his methods as I feel that I was lucky to have noticed it right away. (I just went to see Dick Au speak here in Ottawa and noticed the signs of discus plague that he had mentioned during his presentation) It is very nasty disease as you would just have to watch and wait and hope that it hasn't spread to the point of knocking out my whole stock. Sorry, but I must go, hth Evelyn

Real Name
    Jim

Evelyn, Is it under control now? How are the challenge fish doing?
    Jim
    Never to old to learn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast