AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Outbreak in the house

Default Re: Outbreak in the house

Quote Originally Posted by fishyj View Post
    Evelyn, Is it under control now? How are the challenge fish doing?
    Everything seems to be under control as of now. All fish in the main fish room seem to be doing fine. I still have one tank that I am keeping an eye on in one room and the originally affected fish are all cleared up it seems. No white blotches and they are begging for food everytime I walk by the tank. The second tank that I am keeping an eye on had one fish in it that suddenly died, however I do not know if it was from the plague or not. They are not blotchy however I do see some white (not sting like) soft looking poop at the bottom. I will be treating for internal parasites on these I believe. I will post some pics on Wednesday (my day off)

Quote Originally Posted by 2075turner View Post
    Everything seems to be under control as of now. All fish in the main fish room seem to be doing fine. I still have one tank that I am keeping an eye on in one room and the originally affected fish are all cleared up it seems. No white blotches and they are begging for food everytime I walk by the tank. The second tank that I am keeping an eye on had one fish in it that suddenly died, however I do not know if it was from the plague or not. They are not blotchy however I do see some white (not sting like) soft looking poop at the bottom. I will be treating for internal parasites on these I believe. I will post some pics on Wednesday (my day off)
    Hopefully it blows over with no more losses Evelyn. Fingers crossed over here in Japan. Take care and you've been doing excellent job at keeping things under control.

Take care,

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

hi Evelyn,
    glad to hear that your fishes r getting better now.
    just my opinion here, since u doubt that it was maybe a plague on the new fishes, treat the fishes which is already recover with another course of antibiotic for a period of 5-7 days , best if u can do it to those in the other room too....then take one test fish from the other room n mix it with the new fishes n observe, if the fishes r fine after 2 weeks of mixing, they should be no problem.

all the best.

best rgds,
    forrest.
    best rgds,
    Forrest
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by forrest View Post
    hi Evelyn,
    glad to hear that your fishes r getting better now.
    just my opinion here, since u doubt that it was maybe a plague on the new fishes, treat the fishes which is already recover with another course of antibiotic for a period of 5-7 days , best if u can do it to those in the other room too....then take one test fish from the other room n mix it with the new fishes n observe, if the fishes r fine after 2 weeks of mixing, they should be no problem.

all the best.

best rgds,
    forrest.
    Thanks Forrest for your imput as to how to reintroduce these fish back into my fish room. I had planned on keeping them in the QT tank for another couple of weeks then adding them back in but I was scared of what the outcome would be if any. Although I feel confident they are well, I still wonder. I will treat the hole bunch as a preventative. One question though, what medication do you recommend for the main fish room that doesn't have signs? As I mentioned before I used formalin 3 on the sick fish...should I use that again? Thank you again, Evelyn

hi Evelyn,
    here is just my opinion n there maybe some other way to do it different with mine.
    if i were u, i will just do this step by step....

1) use any type of med for external diseases to make sure the external of the fishes or water r clean.

2) use just salt for 2 day

3) any type of antibiotic u r having in hand, u dont have to spend extra money for new meds cos this is just a preventation course, unless those in hand dont work well with your fishes or the new ones.

if u r bringing test fish from out source u may need to do the same course to the test fish b4 u introduce them to the new fishes that ve been sick n recovered. also it needs about 2 weeks min as QT b4 u introduce the test to others.

best rgds,
    forrest.
    best rgds,
    Forrest
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by forrest View Post
    hi Evelyn,
    here is just my opinion n there maybe some other way to do it different with mine.
    if i were u, i will just do this step by step....

1) use any type of med for external diseases to make sure the external of the fishes or water r clean.

2) use just salt for 2 day

3) any type of antibiotic u r having in hand, u dont have to spend extra money for new meds cos this is just a preventation course, unless those in hand dont work well with your fishes or the new ones.

if u r bringing test fish from out source u may need to do the same course to the test fish b4 u introduce them to the new fishes that ve been sick n recovered. also it needs about 2 weeks min as QT b4 u introduce the test to others.

best rgds,
    forrest.
    Hi Forrest

Thank you again for your advise. I will follow this method of medication for 2 weeks and keep the fish in QT for 4 weeks then try introducing the new fish. I will let you know how things go.....

Registered Member

hi evelyn,

hope all of the fish are doing fine.. goodluck!

Registered Member randy@itfiredup.com's Avatar

Discus Plague sucks, but then I talked to a LFS Gold's Aquarium and they know exactly what to do. Discus plague is not different from a cold in humans. The first time I had it in my tanks, didn't know what to do. So, I used Seachem Metro and within 3 days the fish should start eating and getting better at a very high temperature of 32 degrees celcius or higher. It is air borne, and you will not escape infection if the tanks are in the same building. The key is to catch it early. Raise the temperature really high, if you can maintain 33-34 that would be excellent. Do not overdose with antibiotics, as many can be lethal to even healthy cells. Take out the carbon, and only leave bio foam or pellets in the filter. Put 2 tbsp of salt for every 10 gallons of water and maintain. Be very careful with temperature, as this stresses the fish and will kill tanks mates. I use to do salt baths on Discus, but that is really stressful on the fish. If you do not use Metro, buy 3 days of General Cure, and add 3 days of metro all at once. On the second day, make sure to change 50% water, and maintain high temperature. Try to keep lighting to the minimum as to not stress the fish. They will turn very dark, and pigeon strains seem to not be sick but are very sick. I always keep 3 days of both medications on hand. You will get finrot and cloudy eyes, but once they heal, the fins and eyes will heal extremely quickly. Again this is a air borne virus that can survive on water droplets. A PhD did some tests by putting fluids through microfilters that filter everything except viruses, and infected a clean tank of fish. Instant infection within 2 days. I have used microfilters before and they are excellent for proving what the contaminating agent is. The secondary infection is what kills the fish. The discus will look extremely sick, but be patient, they will also become disoriented, just turn off the light and give them time to heal. They will seem to flip belly up and lay flat on the bottom. Just like humans when you have an extremely terrible cold. TTYL.
    Last edited by randy@itfiredup.com; 02-14-2010 at 06:29 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12