AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: any one use KENT sea salt?

Real Name
    David

Default any one use KENT sea salt?

just curious i switched up my salt today but wanted to ask before using it... i have always used API (in the cartons) but it is not as easy to get ahold of as KENT brand sea salt for salt water aquariums... plus the api always gives them a twitch like a tweaker... so im hoping this would work well, anyone use kent sea salt???
    Last edited by DavidC; 12-18-2009 at 12:38 PM.
    "Life is hard..... after all it kills you"
    It is what it is!

Default Re: any one use KENT sea salt?

Use it for what? Kent sea salt is for marine aquariums.

Salt should not be routinely used in any freshwater aquarium. It should only be used as a medicine.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Real Name
    David

10 gallon hospital tank, treating sick fish..

i deleted post so that anyone searching wouldnt stop at that assumption i made, thanks paul
    Last edited by DavidC; 12-18-2009 at 06:46 PM.
    It is what it is!

Quote Originally Posted by davidsocal View Post
    10 gallon hospital tank, treating sick fish.. and from what i see by what you wrote, its sea salt and only use for treating sick fish.. so your answer to my question would be??? yes you could use it
    err that will be a no, sorry you've got the wrong interpretation of my answer ....

There is a heck of a difference between marine salt, i.e. salt intended to create sea water, and salt. Marine salt will raise the ph noticeably and with some meds this is highly undesirable, particularly those that nuke the bio filter.

My response stated salt, not marine salt. Salt as in NaCl will not raise ph and is fine to use as a medicine, reef or marine salt is not ime/o. Though sometimes the occasional handful of reef salt in a tank can perk the fish up, probably because it increases the trace elements. Note I said occasional

My advise, go down to the supermarket and buy some ordinary salt. Don't worry about iodide - it is harmless, and unless you are exposing the fish tank directly to the sun don't worry over anti caking either. Ordinary table or cooking salt is all you need. So called aquarium salt is just a rip off.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Real Name
    David

sounds good thanks for the reply, that is the answer i was looking for rather than the use... so would you say or do you know if using ro water and adding marine salt would give the trace minerals that you need? or no because it changes the ph to much?...

im by no means a chemist so i figured id just ask
    It is what it is!

Quote Originally Posted by davidsocal View Post
    sounds good thanks for the reply, that is the answer i was looking for rather than the use... so would you say or do you know if using ro water and adding marine salt would give the trace minerals that you need? or no because it changes the ph to much?...

im by no means a chemist so i figured id just ask
    Adding marine salt to ro does in fact replace the trace elements. There are one or two "recipes" somewhere on here for making re-min salts and the main ingredient is marine salt. The irony here is when I tried it just using marine salts I got very LOW ph, the reason for this is the amount that was being added to raise the conductivity/tds to the required level was tiny. When used in the medicinal sense, we add tablespoons to gallons, when used for re-mineralising we add a couple of teaspoons to a hundred gallons.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Real Name
    David

sounds good thanks again, another reason not to trust the local fish stores, i went in looking for rock salt and the owner had said this would do the same so now i got something to do today and get my 20 bucks back...
    It is what it is!

Registered Member

For remineralizing water... can't you just add epsom salt?

Quote Originally Posted by amyandlars View Post
    For remineralizing water... can't you just add epsom salt?
    No. It isn't just about adding TDS. For the water to properly support fish it needs to contain many trace elements, these are in our tap water (though not necessarily in ideal proportions) and in the water ways where the fish come from. Marine salt also contains most, if not all, of the trace elements needed. Good re-min salts contain all of these too. Epsom salts is just magnesium sulphate.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.