ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fish using one gill

Registered Member

Default Fish using one gill

I have one 3.5 LSS juvie that is using only one gill as far as I can tell for past 6 days.

Water: aged -heated-airated- conditioned with prime-changed 80% daily

filtration 3 hydro IV sponges

Tank 75 gallon bb

Tankmates 7 each 3.5-4inch juvies (no others affected)

pH; 7
    Nitrates 5
    nitrites 0
    ammonia 0
    Temp-86

Symptoms: left gill closed, a little hesitant to eat but takes fbw while others eat anything. Sometime stays apart and faces filter. No flashing or scraping. Not really breathing heavy. No major change in color (maybe a little pale ). Dark, normal poop.

Treatment so far: 3 days 90% wc and complete wipe down = no change thwen 3 days quickcure dosed at 1 drop per gallon 3 days

I thought maybe gill flukes but formalin has always provided at least temporary relief in the past.

So, what else could cause a healthy looking fish to keep one gill closed for nearly a week??

Thanks for any advice.
    Scott

Registered Member

Default Re: Fish using one gill

may consider trying a salt bath

Registered Member

Yes I thought of salt too. Just wonder what the disease experts might guess is another common cause of a clamped gill if not flukes. I will still probably try salt tomorrow. would you suggest 1tbs gal?
    Scott

Registered Member

I meant per 10 gals .lol
    Scott

Registered Member

Hello Scott,
    I have successfully treating this problem by dosing them with a light PP for a short period of 4 hours.
    You may have to do it again in the next few days.My discus did response and recover from their illness.
    Good luck,
    Perry Nguyen

Registered Member

Hello Scott,
    I have successfully treating this problem by dosing them with a light PP for a short period of 4 hours.
    You may have to do it again in the next few days.My discus did response and recover from their illness.
    Good luck,
    Perry Nguyen

Just be careful with PP as small irregularity could prove deadly

I suggest with a salt bath as a starter
    SimplyDiscus --- > Simply My Discus Encyclopedia

55G Community /22G Breeder / 40G Reef

There can be a host of reasons why a gill gets clamped closed. Most common is some form of external parasite like flukes or gill worms etc, but other infections can cause it too. If you can net the fish and gently with your fingernail lift the gill cover and get a looka t the gill itself, this isn't as bad as it sounds - honest! That may help in determining what to do next.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Real Name
    Francis

Since you have started Quick Cure which is Malachite Green/ Formalin combo....better not use PP (Potassium Permanganate) at all.....any formalin left behind in the tank and combine with PP is fatal.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Registered Member

wow, thanks for the heads up on the pp and formalin being a deadly combination. I would like to save pp as a last resort as I have never used it before and am concerned about overdosing. I will try tonight to look inside the fish's gill. I will post my findings and see if anyone can diagnose the problem
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by seanyuki View Post
    Since you have started Quick Cure which is Malachite Green/ Formalin combo....better not use PP (Potassium Permanganate) at all.....any formalin left behind in the tank and combine with PP is fatal.
    This isn't strictly true. Adding potassium permanganate to formalin will release formaldehyde gas. If you were to directly inhale the gas then it would cause issues. But the amounts we use in an aquarium are highly unlikely to cause issues.

However it makes no sense adding PP to formalin, if you need, or feel you should change to PP from Formalin (or vice versa) do two huge w/c's and a good wipe down and your good to go.

Formalin is believed to be carcinogenic so use in a ventilated area.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Registered Member

Well I never got around to looking in the gill. I added salt at 1tb per gallon and a little while later I see the fish with white jelly like poo. He doesnt really look bad , just using mainly one gill, staying away from the group sometimes and only would eat bs. a little. Should I continue slat or is this white jelly like pooa sign of another problem?
    Scott

Scott, the jelly like poo along with the other behaviour suggests it may be spiro (hex, hith etc) this is my best guess. Usual treatment is metro. I use metro at 400mg/10 US gallons, treat once a day after w/c and I don't raise the temp. I also use epsom salts during treatment at 1 tablespoon per 10 US gallons. I'd treat the whole tank, but you may want to lower the water level some to save on meds.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Registered Member

Thanks for the help. Others have also advised me to begin metro treatment. I will post the outcome in a few days.
    Scott

I should have added that I treat for a minimum of ten days with metro. Good luck.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast