ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: 12-16 Update: Their at it Again!!!

Real Name
    Jim

Default 12-16 Update: Their at it Again!!!

Hi everyone, Well today I woke up to more eggs! This time they have been laid on the back of my manzanita branch. it seems only one of them are guarding over the eggs and this one happens to be the biggest in the tank. None of the other fish can get near him/her except for the one that he/she was breeding with. these are more clustered than last time so I will wait and see what happens. I still think there too young but who knows. The fish are have been doing great. They now just get brine shrimp and my beef heart- seafood mix, 3 times a day. Water quality has not changed at all and since adding the plants the algae problem has just about disappeared. Here are a few pics:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jim
    Never to old to learn

Default Re: 12-16 Update: Their at it Again!!!

Great looking pictures Jim.
    Those discus must love everything you are doing for them. They look awesome and evidently very happy. Hope they get the spawning accomplished for you.
    Thanks for the update, take care,
    Bill

So far so good, good luck

Registered Member

Hey Jim,

They are all looking good. Also like the look with the black substrate. Hope they get it right for you. That would really be icing on the cake.

Kirk

That's awesome Jim. Everything looks great!!

Real Name
    Jim

Well, just as I thought. Some of the eggs are turning white and I would guess the rest will follow. I still think they are too young. Would the male be the problem in this situation or can a female produce eggs that are not good? Never had any of these fish breed for me.
    Jim
    Never to old to learn

Real Name
    Chris

Your discus look woderful Jim! The tank looks great too. I think it's amazing that these guys are spawning so soon. I love the pic of the parent guarding the eggs. Keep up the good work.

Chris
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."~ Mahatma Gandhi

Real Name
    Jim

The rest have turned white. Even though the eggs are not fertile at this point its still exciting that I have possibly one pair. I won't try anything with them until the challenge is over unless the eggs get to the point of turning into wigglers. My 45 gallon tank which was going to become a marine tank will now become my breeder tank.
    Jim
    Never to old to learn

Registered Member

Hey Jim, granted they are young and that might be the problem. Just wondering if you've had the chance to verify that there's a male and female? I've got a "pair" of leopards that lay eggs at least weekly. Unfortunately they'd both rather ignore the numerous males that are in the tank with them.

Kirk

Well done Jim!

I've had three additonal spawns. All have resulted in unfertilized eggs. I did see them laying once and they are a male and female. The female's egg laying patterns have improved greatly and the male does come right behind, just no success yet.

Like you, I am hesitant to move the pair due to the contest, but after the first of the year I'll be forced to move the group since I am having the floors replaced in the living room (under the contest tank). I have no choice. At that point, they will be moved to the fish room and the pair will be seperated.

Keep up the great work! They look fantsstic!!!

Best wishes!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The fish look fabulous Jim! The tank looks great too. Good stuff my friend!

Take care and Happy Holidays

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Real Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by kirkp View Post
    Hey Jim, granted they are young and that might be the problem. Just wondering if you've had the chance to verify that there's a male and female? I've got a "pair" of leopards that lay eggs at least weekly. Unfortunately they'd both rather ignore the numerous males that are in the tank with them.

Kirk
    I tried telling the difference but at this point I am not 100% sure. I have not caught them laying eggs and I can't tell the difference in the tube. I have been trying to get pictures but (they won't stay still) lol.
    Jim
    Never to old to learn