ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: 12/16 update

Default 12/16 update

I apologize for the late update. I've been trying to time the next update with news on the new 90 gallon tank and it has taken a bit longer than expected to get things rolling. I'm really happy with the quality of this tank, a show tank for sure. I wouldn't have complained anyway since I got it for free. It's thick, starfire glass, one piece wraps around to make front and sides with nice rounded corners. This tank seemed to weigh more than my 300 gallon tenecor tank. It's going to remain bare bottom but I wanted some decoration so I put a couple potted swords, crypts and a piece of driftwood with some plants attached. The guy I got it from threw in a couple of magnum 350's so they will be used to polish the water along with the xp3 that is on their current tank. It will still have the same automation as the other tank only the w/c will be 50% per day.

The tank was last used as a reptile tank so I went through great pains to make sure it was overly sanitized. Everything associated with tank had a bleach bath for a week, I boiled the driftwood and did a hydrogen peroxide dip on the plants. Everything is assembled now and it is going through one final prazi bath. The only thing left is to put a light in the canopy and the fish can go into their new home. probably within a few days!

I will take a measurment of all the fish when I move them in the mean time here's one last group shot of the nursery and a teazer of the new tank. (it needs lights!)

Default Re: 12/16 update

Steve,
    First things first, how did you get that tank for free??? kidding. They are going to love that tank for sure. It looks beautiful. Your fish are looking great. They sure out grew that 60. I can not wait to see them in their new home, bet they can't either. Nice work with them and the tank.

Kenny

Beautiful tank Steve, what is the measurements?
    All glass with curved front corners is really unique. That tank probably cost a fortune when new, lucky you.
    All your discus are looking great, anxious to see them in their new digs.
    Bill

Thanks you guy's, I'm kicking myself today because when I changed out the lighting on my display to T5 I threw all the other end caps and ballasts away, now I have to go shopping for lights.

Yeah it's a fortuitous event that got me this tank. I offered to pay the guy at least something but he flat out refused. He's a guy that wants to become a falconer and I agreed to sponsor him which is required by law. It's a 2 year volunteer commitment on my part but he didn't in no way have to give me anything, it's something I love to do. He's got some incredible reef tanks and this one was just laying around gathering dust.

My favorite word. Serendipity.

Real Name
    Jim

Your fish are really looking good. I really like that tank with the curved corners. Like the plants also. Once they are in there don't be surprised if you start getting some breeding going on. Can't wait to see them in their new home.
    Jim
    Never to old to learn

Registered Member

New tank looks great and they seem to make a large tank look small really quick. Looking foward to those measurements. Curved corners on a glass tank is rather uncommon. What brand is it?
    Joe

Registered Member

Hey Steve, your fish look fantastic. Can't wait to see them in the new tank which by the way looks great.

Kirk

Real Name
    Chris

Your fish look amazing as does the new tank! Can't wait to see them in it.

Chris
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."~ Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by fishyj View Post
    Your fish are really looking good. I really like that tank with the curved corners. Like the plants also. Once they are in there don't be surprised if you start getting some breeding going on. Can't wait to see them in their new home.

That's what I'm hoping for. I certainly have the soft water for it.

New tank looks great and they seem to make a large tank look small really quick. Looking foward to those measurements. Curved corners on a glass tank is rather uncommon. What brand is it?
    I don't know who made the tank, I'll have to ask my friend. The measurments are 60x18x20, it's such a nice tank I feel bad having it crammed in a tiny fish room stacked on cinder blocks. I told my wife it needs to be on a nice display stand. Her comment. "you already have a display tank"

Hey Steve, your fish look fantastic. Can't wait to see them in the new tank which by the way looks great.

Kirk
    Thanks Kirk!

Your fish look amazing as does the new tank! Can't wait to see them in it.

Chris
    Thanks Chris, me too. Hopefully by tomorrow!

Registered Member Cooldadddyfunk286's Avatar

SteveO ...fish are lookin amazing bro! cant wait to see them in that new tank. I cant believe you got that for free, I love how the glass wraps all the way around. you dont see that too often! its gonna look great once its all set up with the albinos in it! cant wait to see!

take care bro.
    -Jason-
    -------------------------

Super nice tank Steve! Free too, cant beat that with a bat. The fish are looking stunning as always. Bet they are gonna LOVE their new playground.

Take care and Happy Holidays!

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."