ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anyone use Seachem's Purigen?

Default Does anyone use Seachem's Purigen?

I've been reading that Seachem's product Purigen is better than using an ozone system with a fractionator/protein skimmer in fresh water applications. If you use Seachem's product Purigen with your filter, would you please share your experience in how you use it? Does this impact or remove the need for a biological fitler? What are the Pros and Cons in using it?

This product seems to good to be true, so I have to wonder if it is true or NOT.

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Last edited by David Rose; 12-17-2009 at 11:05 AM.

Default Re: Does anyone use Seachem's Purigen?

I've been using Purigen for past 3-4 months. I think it worked well for me as my Nitrate are always < 10ppm and I've to re-charge it every week. Ammonia =0, and Nitrite = 0. Even if I missed the WC a day or 2 my water parameter still the same.

My setup: I had a 55 gallons tank with 14 3-4" juvies (grow from 2"). with one Hydro V sponge filter and one emperor 350 HOB filter. I put the 100g purigen bag in the HOB. I feed about 4-5 times of BH, and 2 times pellets a day, and do 30%-50% WC every day.

I'm moving my discus to a 130 gallons tank tomorrow. and will continue to to use the purigen just to have extra security.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by David Rose View Post
    I've been reading that Seachem's product Purigen is better than using an ozone system with a fractionator/protein skimmer in fresh water applications. If you use Seachem's product Purigen with your filter, would you please share your experience in how you use it? Does this impact or remove the need for a biological fitler? What are the Pros and Cons in using it?

This product seems to good to be true, so I have to wonder if it is true or NOT.

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Hi,

It will not replace your biological filter but Purigen can strip out of the water a whole raft of contaminants so reducing the need for regular water changes, such as when you are on vacation etc.

Not the sort of product that will run a tank on its own but vey useful if you have to go a prolonged period with few or no water changes. An Underworld Polyfilter will do the same, perhaps somewhat better.

Purigen does work but like all these products, if you change water regularly, maintain an effective filter and remove uneaten food, you won't need it.

Hope this helps.

I been using it for almost 2 years on both my main tanks all the time. I use the 100ml bag and just drop it into one of my filter's media baskets along with the media. I have four of those 100ml bags and switch them out and re-charge to have them ready for the next time.

The day after I added the first one my tank was so crystal clear I thought the water had drained and the fish were floating in clear mid-air. I thought my water was clear before this but was not prepared for the difference. And I change water very frequently before I had discus (at least 50% once a week), 2-3x a week (50%) now that I have discus in my larger one (72 gal). I remove and recharge the Purigen baggies about once every month or so.

There are no downsides. It's fantastic. People gasp audibly about how clear and crystal my water is. Non-aquarium people asking in amazement: "My god, how is your water so clear?"

Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    I been using it for almost 2 years on both my main tanks all the time. I use the 100ml bag and just drop it into one of my filter's media baskets along with the media. I have four of those 100ml bags and switch them out and re-charge to have them ready for the next time.

The day after I added the first one my tank was so crystal clear I thought the water had drained and the fish were floating in clear mid-air. I thought my water was clear before this but was not prepared for the difference. And I change water very frequently before I had discus (at least 50% once a week), 2-3x a week (50%) now that I have discus in my larger one (72 gal). I remove and recharge the Purigen baggies about once every month or so.

There are no downsides. It's fantastic. People gasp audibly about how clear and crystal my water is. Non-aquarium people asking in amazement: "My god, how is your water so clear?"
    I also concur with Rich815, it does make water crystal clear and really don't see any down side to it. I've since purchased a 500mg bottle and have it ready to swap out when ever one need to be recharge.

Tony Nguyen

Reading reviews on the online sites I've noticed some folks complaining about leakage from the packets. Do you put inside another fine mesh media bag or has anyone had leakage?
    I never drink water because of the disgusting things that fish do in it.. - W. C. Fields
    Joan R

Quote Originally Posted by joanr View Post
    Reading reviews on the online sites I've noticed some folks complaining about leakage from the packets. Do you put inside another fine mesh media bag or has anyone had leakage?
    If you leave it dry the particles/media shrink and it will leak, I kept mine in a can of water so it does not leak and don't need to be double bag. I media bag that I've used is at petsmart and it's fine.

Tony

Thanks everyone for your feedback so far!

That Fish Place sells it and you provide the media bag. Of course they sell the Seachem media bag as well.

I've also seen it used in a chemical fractionator and wondered if anyone uses it in this way and if the results are different.

Also, has this reduced your water changes?

Oh, so this is a loose media product? It looked like it was some kind of pre-packaged ring shaped thingie in the picture online. Ok, then, sounds like it's worth a try! I'm pretty satisfied with running my HOT Magnum w/micron filter for polishing but sometimes I just don't feel like dragging the thing out and then having to clean it up. The pre-filters are messy enough and I'm contemplating tossing them and just cleaning the HOB boxes every week or so...lol.
    Last edited by joanr; 12-17-2009 at 01:52 PM.
    I never drink water because of the disgusting things that fish do in it.. - W. C. Fields
    Joan R

Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    I remove and recharge the Purigen baggies about once every month or so.
    I thought they were good for six months?

I know that you talked about having this stuff in planted tanks. I can't remember if you mentioned this or not...but do you dose extra ferts to compensate for any lost through the Purigen?

This stuff is extremely expensive here in Canada ($18.00-$20.00 for 100ml) so I'm very reluctant to buy this and have it just suck my expensive ferts up. If I need to recharge them that often...I would definitely be getting more than one.

I'm just trying to get some of the discolouration out of my water (planted as well). I was told a high quality carbon is cheaper and just as effective.

Quote Originally Posted by joanr View Post
    Oh, so this is a loose media product? It looked like it was some kind of pre-packaged ring shaped thingie in the picture online. Ok, then, sounds like it's worth a try! I'm pretty satisfied with running my HOT Magnum w/micron filter for polishing but sometimes I just don't feel like dragging the thing out and then having to clean it up. The pre-filters are messy enough and I'm contemplating tossing them and just cleaning the HOB boxes every week or so...lol.
    It may be sold both ways, but I've only come across the loose granule form on several sites.

https://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/pro.../7/product.web
    Last edited by David Rose; 12-17-2009 at 01:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkbait View Post
    I thought they were good for six months?

I know that you talked about having this stuff in planted tanks. I can't remember if you mentioned this or not...but do you dose extra ferts to compensate for any lost through the Purigen?

This stuff is extremely expensive here in Canada ($18.00-$20.00 for 100ml) so I'm very reluctant to buy this and have it just suck my expensive ferts up. If I need to recharge them that often...I would definitely be getting more than one.

I'm just trying to get some of the discolouration out of my water (planted as well). I was told a high quality carbon is cheaper and just as effective.

Seachem's site says six months, but I suppose it would depend on your respective bio-load from plants, feeding schedule, etc. The granules change to a dark color as they absorb organics.

You definitely would want enough to rotate your media bags, if that's how you use it.

Quote Originally Posted by David Rose View Post
    It may be sold both ways, but I've only come across the loose granule form on several sites.

https://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/pro.../7/product.web
    The 100g are come pre-packed with it own media bag. 500g and 1 liter come in a jar (loose).

Thanks Tony!

I also see that Petsmart carries it online for less, $39.99

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...53922#prodTab1

Has anyone noticed a difference in pH or TDS using it? i.e. increase/decrease/stabilize

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast