AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Does anyone use Seachem's Purigen?

Default Re: Does anyone use Seachem's Purigen?

I wanted to follow up now that I have recharged Purigen now 3-4 times to say that I haven't had any issues. I use it in all four of my tanks and it takes about 2-3 months to darken to a brownish color then I soak it in a gallon pitcher with a cup or so of Chlorox bleach. Within 24hrs or less is back to the original color. I rinse and soak in clean water with added Prime for another 24hrs before letting it dry out completely and reuse. This is just my process, but I'm still very pleased with the crystal clear water in my tanks. Not that I thought it wasn't clear before, but I do see a significant difference when using Purigen.

Just my two sents...

Funny you should post this, I was thinking about ordering more of this and giving it another try. I think it may be that I was using the packets in the HOB AC's and not in a canister filter. They got dirty on a weekly basis and had to be re-charged a lot more than every 2 -3 months. I was doing it weekly, rotating between three different packets. I'm about to switch to a canister filter this month so when I get it, I'll try the Purigen again. I generally like all the Seachem products I've used, but cleaning these packs was getting to become another weekly chore. Right now I'm still using the HOT Magnum for polishing every other night. But since I'm feeding less now that the kids are growing up maybe the Purigen will last longer. One thing I'll never forget was that first night I put one in and came down next morning to the cleanest, clearest looking water I've ever seen.
    I never drink water because of the disgusting things that fish do in it.. - W. C. Fields
    Joan R

Real Name
    Rick

Why don't you just use the purigen in the Hot magnum?

Hi Rick,
    I wouldn't think that the spot cleaning with Hot Magnum would provide sufficient contact time.

Curious Joan, where did you have the Purigen packs located in your canisters? i.e. 1st or last stage

Real Name
    Rick

I wouldn't think that the spot cleaning with Hot Magnum would provide sufficient contact time
    I just place the purigen in small media bags, place it into the magnum media container and let it run 24/7. I admit I missed the spot about the spot cleaning.

Quote Originally Posted by David Rose View Post
    Hi Rick,
    I wouldn't think that the spot cleaning with Hot Magnum would provide sufficient contact time.

Curious Joan, where did you have the Purigen packs located in your canisters? i.e. 1st or last stage
    No, I didn't have them in canisters, I had them in the HOB AC's right between the sponge and the bio-balls. They went brown after a week and I use pre-filters on the HOB's. Of course I was feeding 6 times a day back then when I was using them, so they would probably last longer now.

Guess I could put the Purigen in the HOT Mag but I usually don't run it more than a hour or two in-between water change days just to clean up the day old water. Don't get me wrong, I loved the Purigen, it just didn't stay good after maybe 5 or 6 re-charges. The Mag micron carts OTOH do a good job and last about 6 months before needing replacing. But two different products. Gonna give the Purigen another try now that the group are young adults.
    Last edited by joanr; 05-21-2010 at 09:54 PM.
    I never drink water because of the disgusting things that fish do in it.. - W. C. Fields
    Joan R

I'm very pleased with the results of using Purigen.

Take care,
    David

I bought another single packet pouch yesterday and popped it into the HOB. The water is sparking yet again, but I think I should use two, one in each HOB since I'm running two 70's. It's really a great product. David are you going to get the single packet version of the product? Those are really easy to just pop into the HOB's, no bagging, self contained.
    Joan R

Well, add me to the list of satisfied and amazed customers. My 110 gallon tank was not horribly cloudy, but enough that I would have considered buying a diatom filter at this point. After about a day and a half with Purigen, the water cleared up nicely!

I am running one bag in a cheap-o hob Tetra filter. The other bag is floating in front of my Eheim spray bar. This is helping me in two ways, as it cuts down the current created by the powerful spray bar, and secondly allows me to now run the filter at max flow. The Purigen seems to love the pummeling it gets as it dances around in the media bag.

I bought 300 micron media bags that are sealable, and they are working great.

I highly recommend this product.

Registered Member

I bought a pouch of this at a LFS and when I went to rinse the bag before putting it into my filter the bag came open at the seam and the little pellets went everywhere!

I think I will be buying the jar of it and putting it into my own bags from now on....

Quote Originally Posted by Paramount View Post
    I bought a pouch of this at a LFS and when I went to rinse the bag before putting it into my filter the bag came open at the seam and the little pellets went everywhere!

I think I will be buying the jar of it and putting it into my own bags from now on....

I had the same thing happen to one of my pouches and did exactly as you suggested. Best of luck with it! BTW, Purigen is on sale right now through July 2. Let me know if interested.

Registered Member

My experience with Purigen was much like joanr's. I swapped out the purigen weekly and had to recharge.
    The Purigen was in an Ecco canister, I tried different baskets levels with the same results. It became more work then I thought it was worth.
    Now I use it only when I am out of town and the fish are going to miss two or more water changes.

Quote Originally Posted by joanr View Post
    I bought another single packet pouch yesterday and popped it into the HOB. The water is sparking yet again, but I think I should use two, one in each HOB since I'm running two 70's. It's really a great product. David are you going to get the single packet version of the product? Those are really easy to just pop into the HOB's, no bagging, self contained.

Hi Joan,

Like you I use the packets in my two AC70s, but in my 140G sump, I bought 12x14" micron media bags cheap off eBay to use above my dual drip plates. I bought the 2L jar to supply those as well as make a few smaller media bags for the AC70s to rotate when I'm cleaning one set.

BTW, after cleaning, I do let the resin dry out completely. That is when it returns to its original color. On occasion, if it doesn't look clean, I just soak it again and that does the trick. I also use hot water with the bleach, which seems to help.

I just wanted to say that i'm glad to hear of somthing that will help reduce or get rid of my tannis from my tank in between water changes, and help with the quality of water as well.

I just called my LFS and they order me a bottle of purigen and i was happy to see that it was only $20 for 250ml versus 100ml from petsmart at $47.

I was also reading from one of the post above, as far as rechargeing it do you have to use prime or just rinse out and let air dry before resue?

thanks
    john

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345